8 Years of MDNA

RinoTheBouncer

It’s been 8 years since MDNA was released worldwide, an album that came after a rather long break and was supported by one of the biggest tours she’s ever made, so what are your favorite memories from the era? What songs do you like the most? Has your opinion about it changed over time?

Favorite Songs:

Beautiful Killer

Falling Free

Gang Bang

I’m Addicted

Love Spent

Masterpiece

I F*cked Up

Best Friend

Favorite Memory: seeing Madonna for the very first time in my life after being a die hard fan since 1998, now at the MDNA Tour Istanbul. I got into the Golden Triangle and she was still on stage checking things, so everyone was screaming and she wasn’t paying attention, then as people silenced a little, I screamed MADONNA! she turned and said “SHHHHH!” and everyone went crazy again ? later during the show, as she was singing the second verse of Open Your Heart, I was near the main stage inside the triangle and she walked towards me pointing at me singing “I think that you’re afraid to look in my eyes” then she sat on her knee and continued “you look a little sad boy, I wonder why?” and she held my hand for a few seconds!

I still cannot even begin to describe how I felt that moment. It’s like time stopped for me, like this is only my first time and somehow I get to see her in the best way possible and for her to single me out and interact with me twice and hold my hand?! I couldn’t imagine that in a million other realities and I couldn’t be more thankful. I was shocked until the second verse of Masterpiece later, that’s when I bursted our crying. It was the best night of my life.

MDNA overall is an era I’ll never forget. It was incredible and the only part that I wish was done better was more marketing and more music videos. Other than that, everything was perfect.

So tell me your stories!

Even though the album was rushed I still think it’s her best of the 2010s - for me this is mainly due to Orbits input - I hated Martin Solveigs songs and Superstar is probably one of her worst and uninspired songs of that decade- I also thought it was a fairly cohesive album unlike rebel heart and Madame X

falling free I still think is a gorgeous and heartbreaking song and made me think she can still do a decent ballad and a song without auto tune or computer effects

other songs I liked are I’m A Sinner, masterpiece ( would love this to have had a music video with clips from W.E.) , some girls , gang bang , love spent ( the acoustic version I prefer) 

for me the only downside was the videos - I mean they were all cringe especially turn up the radio and girl gone wild - to me she was really trying way too hard to look young and surround herself with children and ugly gay dancers ?

the tour was ok but not her best of this decade - too much backing tracks and not enough live sound and the dvd was a mess ?

that’s my 2 cents - feel free to rape my responses bitches ?

4 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Even though the album was rushed I still think it’s her best of the 2010s - for me this is mainly due to Orbits input - I hated Martin Solveigs songs and Superstar is probably one of her worst and uninspired songs of that decade- I also thought it was a fairly cohesive album unlike rebel heart and Madame X

falling free I still think is a gorgeous and heartbreaking song and made me think she can still do a decent ballad and a song without auto tune or computer effects

other songs I liked are I’m A Sinner, masterpiece ( would love this to have had a music video with clips from W.E.) , some girls , gang bang , love spent ( the acoustic version I prefer) 

for me the only downside was the videos - I mean they were all cringe especially turn up the radio and girl gone wild - to me she was really trying way too hard to look young and surround herself with children and ugly gay dancers ?

the tour was ok but not her best of this decade - too much backing tracks and not enough live sound and the dvd was a mess ?

that’s my 2 cents - feel free to rape my responses bitches ?

I can totally agree about Falling Free and the music videos and also the cohesiveness! The album had so much potential for more music videos for Masterpiece (which won a freaking Golden Globe) and I’m Addicted, or perhaps a short film for Gang Bang and Beautiful Killer. Love Spent was also very amazing.

It certainly was among her weakest in the visual department, although the standard edition cover is among my most favorite covers ever.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I actually think this was a fantastic era. The album isn’t her best but it’s so fun and the era was just brilliant. The Superbowl, loads of interviews, her biggest production tour to date and one of her best tours to date for me, she looked beautiful, everything was on point for me. Only thing I’d change really is the single run.

I’m Addicted 

Girl Gone Wild

Masterpiece

Beautiful Killer

Love Spent 

Are my favourites. 

I loved the MDNA era and album. I thought the tour was fire too. I was just listening to the album on Saturday morning and it was giving me strength fighting this virus crisis. My fave songs:

Beautiful Killer

Gang Bang

Girl Gone Wild

Love Spent

Masterpiece

Falling Free

Give Me All Your Luvin

Turn Up The Radio

Too many beautiful memories... also it was my first time to see her live! 4 days before my birthday! ?? my favorite tracks:

- Falling Free (what a beautiful way to end the album) ?

- Masterpiece ?

- Gang Bang (this track is HUGE, such a shame we didn’t get an epic cinematic video ??)

- I’m Addicted ?

- Girl Gone Wild ?

- Love Spent ?

Visually this album is a masterpiece, I wish I could say so about the songs. The whole era was brilliant, though

It was also the first time I saw Madonna in St. Petersburg

Fav songs: Girl Gone Wild, I'm Addicted, Love Spent, Some Girls, Masterpiece. 

Bonus tracks are awful, I don't get why everyone loves Beautiful Killer, I never listened to it since 2012

42 minutes ago, confessed said:

Visually this album is a masterpiece, I wish I could say so about the songs. The whole era was brilliant, though

It was also the first time I saw Madonna in St. Petersburg

Fav songs: Girl Gone Wild, I'm Addicted, Love Spent, Some Girls, Masterpiece. 

Bonus tracks are awful, I don't get why everyone loves Beautiful Killer, I never listened to it since 2012

Beautiful Killer was cool during the Paris show?!?! Mashed up with Die Another Day! ?

MDNA has a problem:  the best songs weren't singles, and the singles were too weak (except Girl Gone Wild). 

I love MDNA since the first day. I never tired of listen it. I only skip three songs. And the MDNA tour was fantastic. In my opinion one of her best eras. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
7 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

MDNA has a problem:  the best songs weren't singles, and the singles were too weak (except Girl Gone Wild). 

So true. Personally I think the singles run should have been something like:

1. I’m Addicted
  2. Girl Gone Wild
  3. Beautiful Killer
  4. Love Spent
  5. Masterpiece

It was definitely her worst album: uninspired, with a dated sound already in 2012 and she wrote pretty much nothing for it. Despite everything, it still an enjoyable pop album. It just sounds like a Britney album, not a Madonna album

I wish she had promoted Girl gone wild with some live performances because the MDNA tour performance is stunning. 

I love how eventful and rich the tour was and I loved how there was something new to talk about each day, and she did Olympia in the middle of it. I just wish the went to Japan and Australia too and broke her S&S record for revenue.

Madame X and Rebel Heart both had great music but quite a lukewarm era in general. Rebel Heart has some beautiful performances during the first few months especially Ghosttown and some incredible music videos like Ghosttown itself, and Madame X has some really dark music and rich visuals, but the eras as a whole didn’t feel very eventful, especially Madame X. It’s like the era ended after the album drop and with the phone ban, the tour felt dead until it was your day to go. 

MDNA however kicked off with a bang, the Super Bowl and ended with $305m tour revenue and Secret Project. She just picked the worst singles and made the worst music videos in MDNA and GGW should’ve premiered at Super Bowl, and she should’ve released Gang Bang, Masterpiece, Beautiful Killer and Love Spent as singles with music videos, not Turn Uo The Radio and GMAYL

5 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I love MDNA since the first day. I never tired of listen it. I only skip three songs. And the MDNA tour was fantastic. In my opinion one of her best eras. 

Couldn’t agree more 

I was in junior high when it came out. I pretty much was discovering her discography in the summer of 2011 and that's when I became a fan. So I was very excited to witness my first era. It was November I think that the GMAYL demo leaked. I adored it, I was listening to a lot of bubblegum pop back then and I hadn't really created that impression of Madonna as a quality artist that should say no to any lesser song. For me she was just a dance queen and GMAYL gave me just that. Then I fell in love with Masterpiece and Elton's face at the Globes, the GGW song and video, which I still think is one of the best. In March she would upload small snippets of her songs and while most people seemed to love Gang Bang I was instantly drawn to I Don't Give A. It sounded so different for her (the snippet had that cute baby Jesus lyric). I had too much time to even edit my fb profile picture to look like her broken mirror effect on the covers, listen to Best Friend and I Fucked Up a thousand times every time I would fight with my best friend crush, even spend hours comparing her to Gaga which was the coolest thing back then. Since then of course I've listened to pretty much every album of hers and I'm not sure MDNA is a good album anymore. But I don't really care, it was my first era and the perfect album for that point of my life. A great album for early '10s pop too. My only problem was that the whole era died too early, like the next ones.