8 Years of MDNA

RinoTheBouncer

There are a lot of things I love about MDNA honestly. It sounds just like what I remember 2012 sounding like. Not much of it was ground breaking and some sounds are truly dated but the further from it we get, the better some things will get. The early 2010s was could be explained with MDNA if you think about it. All the cheesy cringing EDM pop found on this record could match some of the songs around it at the time. Only, MDNA could have had been much stronger with more care and devotion but this is what M let out the bag, baby Jesus on the stairs. Girl Gone Wild is very 80s M under EDM influence. Gang Bang and IDGA are an extremely angry M with harsh production. I’m Addicted and Superstar are actually highlights to me. Love the sounds and production. Love Spent defitnetly has not held up well in its album form and Some Girls is just super abrasive and cold but futuristic malt sleek. Some songs are not like it. I’m a Sinner is jsut fun and a blasphemous Catholic at her best. Beautiful Killer is a song I forget but it really is a beautiful track. Can’t really sing with a gun my mouth now can I? Masterpiece is the gem of all trades and my favorite ballad from her in the last decade or So. Best Friend is a cold ending but perhaps necessary. The end of Guy Ritchie and his influence musically. 

On 3/24/2020 at 12:22 AM, I don't search I find said:

It was definitely her worst album: uninspired, with a dated sound already in 2012 and she wrote pretty much nothing for it. Despite everything, it still an enjoyable pop album. It just sounds like a Britney album, not a Madonna album

I think you cannot be more right ! It's not that it's a bad album, but it is not an ablum by Madonna standards. In fact, I like Femme Fatale the same way, and it's a very good album for Britney.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:32 PM, Jet said:

I love MDNA album and tour. It was a return to proper videos too. Best memory is winning golden triangle tickets for Birmingham!

I'll give you that. The quality of her videos decreased in the mid 2000s. With a few exceptions (Hung Up and Sorry).

I loved MDNA when it came out and I remember many people loving it as well. It suddenly became her worst album after we realised there was not gonna be more promo for it apart from the tour that kicked off in May. Also, the Turn Up the Radio video was something I really felt it was unnecessary. Like, if you're not gonna put your heart into it then why bother filming a video? Her tits looked great though. 

I agree that she could've done Girl Gone Wild live for some shows on TV. Her vocals suck big time but the choreography was killer. The art direction of the album and the Mert & Marcus shoot was fabulous too.

Beautiful Killer should've been in the main tracklist. And B-day Song is really a waste of time. I can't believe Madonna misused M.I.A. input on the record. What a shame.

Let's not forget Give Me All Your Luvin' was never a hit and if made it to Billboard's Top 10 was only because of payola✌?

It was a solid album. It had flaws. However, many other pop girls would like to have an album like MDNA. 

MDNA has so many great melodies. The problem is the execution. If Madonna was more passionate about it, it could have been amazing. It was an improvement after Hard Candy, which is her worst, because it didn't sound like Madonna album and other issues.

It is one of her weakest works, but it has some great moments like Gang Bang, Beautiful Killer, I'm Addicted, Falling Free, IDGAF, Some Girls, Love Spent and even GMAYL. GGW was cute.

In general, the album was overproduced. Autotuned vocals were unnecessary, but that is the problem with Madonna's music since Hard Candy. She doesn't realize that those girlie robotic vocals can ruin her songs.

She needs to be more selective. MDNA, RH, Madame X... they all could have been better with 10 songs. 

Edited by Justice (see edit history)

Also, she tends to find a way to fuck up her latest albums with some generic or really bad songs.

Superstar  and B-Day were so childish and ridicules. Really, Madonna? Masterpiece was quite a boring and generic ballad from Madonna. Anybody could have done that. Turn Up That Radio was simply bad and desperately needed a good and energetic chorus. I Fucked Up was so generic and dated.

RH had many songs, which means more silly stuff. Illuminati was a solid song, but the lyrics could have been better without that celebrity shit. Bitch I'm Madonna was pointless. Body Shop, S.E.X., super deluxe songs... Messiah was brilliant lyrically, but music wise, what did she try to achieve? RH had too many different sounds. Messiah sounds like Madonna wanted some Evita flavor on the album.

RH and MDNA had some songs that are very retrospective music wise. Some were good, some were simply boring and pointless. Perhaps, she should stay away from emulating her old sounds, because she won't top them.

Faz Gostoso and Bitch I'm Loca are generic. Madonna just copied someone's style. They don't even fit the album and sound out of place. Yes, there are other Latino flavored songs on Madame X, but those songs were creative, well made and had different vibe. Medellin is darker electronic pop song with reggaetone elements. Killers and other stuff are very moody. The album in general is moody and dark music wise. Other really bad songs would be Back That Up (of all great outtakes, she chose that) and Funana Looking For Mercy wasn't trash, but it was dated and unnecessary, and an example that Madonna wasn't selective. It sounded like RH demo.

@JusticeAlthough I think you're being pretty harsh towards her recent material (she always had silly songs in her tracklists), I agree with you to some extent. I strongly believe that her albums after Hard Candy have alieanted her fanbase and casual listeners more than ever. Maybe the best decision could have been avoiding releasing such long albums and stick to the old formula where you had no more than 11-12 tracks that made an awesome album. Many fans today criticize Music for having only 10 tracks but hey, they were all great. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 8:02 PM, madgefan said:

Maybe the best decision could have been avoiding releasing such long albums and stick to the old formula where you had no more than 11-12 tracks that made an awesome album. Many fans today criticize Music for having only 10 tracks but hey, they were all great. 

Madonna's past albums were great, because it was quality over quantity.  There was quality control.

On 3/28/2020 at 6:31 PM, Justice said:

It was an improvement after Hard Candy, which is her worst, because it didn't sound like Madonna album and other issues.

I respect your point of view but allow me to disagree. Hard Candy is so much better to me, and I love it so much. Still listening to many songs. Great album.

You know people has always been saying that some albums don't sound like a Madonna album. I witnessed it myself on my first years on the internet in 2000 for Music. And I guess when Erotica was released (apart from those shocked by the Sex aspect of it) people didn't recongnize her sound either... she has always been evolving and trying. It's part of her DNA and part of her pop exploration as a pop performer/singer/producer.

1 hour ago, Mister_Pop said:

I respect your point of view but allow me to disagree. Hard Candy is so much better to me, and I love it so much. Still listening to many songs. Great album.

You know people has always been saying that some albums don't sound like a Madonna album. I witnessed it myself on my first years on the internet in 2000 for Music. And I guess when Erotica was released (apart from those shocked by the Sex aspect of it) people didn't recongnize her sound either... she has always been evolving and trying. It's part of her DNA and part of her pop exploration as a pop performer/singer/producer.

True. Erotica and Music were different.

The thing with HC is that it sounded too much like Timbaland and Pharrell. That is what disappointed me.

It's not my favorite but I definitely prefer it to the previous Hard Candy. What I didn't like was the little promotion that would surely have helped in the sales. On the other hand, the tour was the best in recent years, certainly better than 2015 and 2008

- Love spent

- Girl Gone Wild

- I don't give A

- Beautiful killer

- Masterpiece

6 hours ago, boytoy77 said:

I really don't understand why some people think the lyrics to "I Don't Give A" are 'baby Jesus on the stairs'.  
If you listen to the previous line of  "I forgot to say my prayers", you can deduce that the correct lyric is actually 'Baby Jesus understands'  WOW~ smh.

The correct lyrics are stated on her website as being 'on the stairs', sorry. I explained somewhere what I think it means. Understands would be cool too. But it's not that.

https://www.madonna.com/discography/lyrics/465

On 4/22/2020 at 4:46 AM, Blue Prince said:

The correct lyrics are stated on her website as being 'on the stairs', sorry. I explained somewhere what I think it means. Understands would be cool too. But it's not that.

https://www.madonna.com/discography/lyrics/465

Her website lyrics are not always correct...there are in fact some errors throughout.  I checked into the song's history and there is nowhere that  I can see that she explained the lyric of "on the stairs".  
Think logically here, on the stairs does not make the least bit of sense in context of the song. 

5 hours ago, boytoy77 said:

Her website lyrics are not always correct...there are in fact some errors throughout.  I checked into the song's history and there is nowhere that  I can see that she explained the lyric of "on the stairs".  
Think logically here, on the stairs does not make the least bit of sense in context of the song. 

Sweetie I have no problem with it being understands. But you said you couldn't understand why some fans think it's 'on the stairs' and I explained to you that it's the most reasonable thing to believe so as it's the official lyrics. I didn't say she explained on the stairs, I said I did. My explanation was that she was praying to Baby Jesus while climbing down the stairs to leave the house because she had forgotten to, before. It makes absolute sense to me in the context of the song, because it's literally about a single mom running all the time for her kids and for her job and so many other things. Anyway, I'm still waiting for your link to the Twitter chat you mentioned where she gave the correct lyrics :angel:

Looking back on the album, it's not so bad after all. There are a few misses on this album, but some gems on the album as well. Beautiful Killer is my most played song from the album, Girl Gone Wild is a fun single and a great opening to the tour, Some Girls and I'm Addicted are two fun dance tracks. Then there's Masterpiece and Falling Free - two great ballads on the album. Love Spent and I'm a Sinner are also decent deep cuts on here.

Not to mention that the MDNA Tour was finally the chance I got to see her live! It was incredible.