The Ultimate B-Side Poll!

MarXus

Favorite B-Side from each Decade?  

58 members voted

1. 1. What's your favorite B-side from 80's?

• Physical Attraction
    • Ain't No Big Deal
    • I Know It
    • Think of Me
    • Stay
    • Pretender
    • Shoo-Bee-Doo
    • White Heat
    • Jimmy Jimmy
    • Where's The Party
    • Act of Contrition
    • The Look of Love
    • Supernatural
    • Pray for Spanish Eyes
    • Till Death Do Us Part
  2. 2. What's Your Favorite B-Side from the 90's?

• More
    • Up Down Suite
    • Waiting
    • Secret Garden
    • Let Down Your Guard
    • Survival
    • Sanctuary
    • Over and Over
    • Rainbow High
    • Shanti/Ashtangi
    • Has To Be
    • Sky Fits Heaven
    • Mer Girl
    • Little Star
    • To Have Not To Hold
  3. 3. What is Your Favorite B-Side from the 2000's?

15 minutes ago, MarXus said:

Great question! 

I put it with the album it originally came with.  For instance, I would put "Ain't No Big Deal" with the Madonna album, knowing that song had demos before she even got a record contract.  "Supernatural" would go with the LAP album (even though I believe it's actually a left over from the True Blue album). 

I’m probably going to do that then! I also had no idea Ain’t No Big Deal and Let Down Your Guard were released. I thought they were leaks ?

This thread was very helpful!

Edited by Shoful (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Shoful said:

I’m probably going to do that then! I also had no idea Ain’t No Big Deal and Let Down Your Guard were released. I thought they were leaks ?

This thread was very helpful!

You might be interested to know, Ain't No Big Deal was among a number of early demos when she was shopping around for a contract.  I believe it was one of the songs on her demo tape, given to Seymour Stein, when he agreed to sign her to Sire Records.  At some point, Madonna and Stephen Bray had a falling out and since Bray had attained rights to the song, he allowed the Barracuda's in '83 to record it.  Madonna later re-recorded it, and first appeared on the album Revenge of the Killer B's in 1985.  It became the b-side to the Japanese release of Angel, and her world-wide releases of Papa Don't Preach and True Blue in 1986.

Here is the Barracuda version of the song: 

As you can hear, Madonna's version is far superior and while some of her demo versions were a bit out there, she still sounded best singing it.  But of course, I guess that's subjective.

19 minutes ago, MarXus said:

You might be interested to know, Ain't No Big Deal was among a number of early demos when she was shopping around for a contract.  I believe it was one of the songs on her demo tape, given to Seymour Stein, when he agreed to sign her to Sire Records.  At some point, Madonna and Stephen Bray had a falling out and since Bray had attained rights to the song, he allowed the Barracuda's in '83 to record it.  Madonna later re-recorded it, and first appeared on the album Revenge of the Killer B's in 1985.  It became the b-side to the Japanese release of Angel, and her world-wide releases of Papa Don't Preach and True Blue in 1986.

As you can hear, Madonna's version is far superior and while some of her demo versions were a bit out there, she still sounded best singing it.  But of course, I guess that's subjective.

Wow so cool thank you for telling me all of that. Madonna's versions are always superior to others :)

So neat hearing these things about her music that I would not be able to find anywhere else on the internet!

35 minutes ago, MarXus said:

That was the one that got my vote for the 80s! I had the Japanese DressYouUp/Ain'tNBD first on vinyl then on the 5" CD later on :jamming:

15 hours ago, Shoful said:

Wow so cool thank you for telling me all of that. Madonna's versions are always superior to others :)

So neat hearing these things about her music that I would not be able to find anywhere else on the internet!

You're welcome. There is so much history being shared that isn't true, but us older fans try to chime in to correct it.  Of course, I don't know everything, but there are so many other great fans who share accurate info.