Redone: Madonna asked me to work with her and then changed her mind

booyakasha

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Do we know when this happened? My guess would have been for MDNA but then it could have been Rebel Heart as well. 

8 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

Now that he's assuming that it was Lady Gaga related and going on about it to the press shows his true colors. So it's a good thing she did drop him. 

I don't think so at all. It could be Gaga-related very well. Madonna seemed to be a bit bothered with it all and it would be a good reason to give up on the project (whatever it was).

16 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

Now that he's assuming that it was Lady Gaga related and going on about it to the press shows his true colors. So it's a good thing she did drop him. 

Well, he didn't 'go on about it to the press'. He was candidly asked about it in an interview, and he gave his answer and a possible suggestion of the reason. There was no shade there, and he certainly didn't seem bitter about it. No 'true colours' shown there, it was very calm and respectful.

Thank god she didn't. His production work is probably the worst thing that happened to music....it's even worst than MDNA. Nothing can beat redone in awfulness. If it wasn't for DJWS to redeem it, Gaga's discography would be the worst ever. I wonder if Madonna approached him personally or if it was Universal because for MDNA and Rebel Heart they approached a lot of people without Madonna's knowledge, Marina (and the diamonds) talked about it and turned the proposition down when she discovered M wasn't involved.

36 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

Well, he didn't 'go on about it to the press'. He was candidly asked about it in an interview, and he gave his answer and a possible suggestion of the reason. There was no shade there, and he certainly didn't seem bitter about it. No 'true colours' shown there, it was very calm and respectful.

I'm glad I was wrong on him and the way I took it at first. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

I mean... it makes perfect sense. Her sound was bombastic and made you wanna jump up and down. At the time it was everything I wanted Madonna to do. 

Also... Madonna DEFINITELY has been inspired by Gaga as well. It's not a one-sided affair. So I believe this 100%.

What inspiration has Madonna taken from Gaga?  Seriously curious.  Every single thing that Gaga has done, i believe Madonna had already done.  

3 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

What inspiration has Madonna taken from Gaga?  Seriously curious.  Every single thing that Gaga has done, i believe Madonna had already done.  

Gaga copied Madonna a lot with too many instances to list (Just Dance = Hung Up, Alejandro = Vogue, etc) but it's kind of funny considering how many people Madonna has copied over the years. I think when someone wants to put it nicely they'll say "paying homage" to that person 

The only time I thought Madonna was trying to copy the weirdness of Gaga is when she dressed like this:

Madonna-The-Tonight-Show-Starring-Jimmy-

1 hour ago, Sultrysully said:

I mean... I'll only answer if it's not ripped apart in a negative way. Saying I'm reaching or whatever. Im a fan of both, and I personally think they both influenced each other in different ways. 

I think the very first inspiration was the dress she wore in the Celebration video. 

3109ae789539b4c66215df647487617d.jpg

Having that boys in heels dance group in the GGW video was definitely inspired by Gaga's Alejandro video.  Which yes was directly inspired by Vogue and X-Static Process photoshoot. :04:

I think Gaga's overt expression of her love for "the gays" inspired a bunch of stuff. Before the MDNA tour gayness wasn't really a thing on a Madonna tour since 1993, if I'm remembering correctly. Then in MDNA she has dudes in heels. She has cross dressers in Vogue. and Nobody Knows Me backdrop for all the gay kids who ended their own lives. (Please don't take this as I don't think Madonna cares about this issue, I think he does...but I believe she supported gay rights subtly for a long time until (I Believe) Gaga came along shouting it from the rooftops. Hell even one of her arguably gayest songs EVER, Hung Up, didn't have anything gay in it. 

The line in Superstar... "Im your biggest fan its true"

Gaga Paparazzi..."I'm your biggest fan I'll follow you until you love me"

I think generally the idea of "transgression" in MDNA and the accompanying tour came from Gaga. I think it was too obvious for Madonna to adopt her musical style, so she adopted the dangerousness of Gaga. One example of this would be the violence, but also the references to drugs which Madonna had NEVER done before. The only thing close was a Sasha remix title of Drowned World if Im not mistaking.MDNA was the first time Madonna seemed to "play" with the idea of condoning drug use. Obviously we know she doesn't condone drugs. If you're wondering what Im talking of specifically... I'm Addicted... the whole song is comparing someone to a drug... chanting MDNA at the end which only sounds like MDMA considering the song topic... and the fact earlier in the song she says "like MDMA, and that's OK".  Asking people if they seen Molly at that Avicci concert. 

Inspiration doesn't have to be copycat. I think Give Me All Your Luvin is basically a love letter to Gaga. At least the first verse/prechorus.  

"I see u coming and I don't wanna know your name".      (Gaga seems to say her name in every song at this point.)

"I see u coming and ur gonna have to change your game".    (Her game is copying Madonna and other artists.)

I think Madonna was inspired by Gaga's declaration of her love of ART. We all know Madonna collects art and has ties to Basquiat and Keith Haring but she didn't mention them for 25 years until Gaga was running around dressed like a Picasso. 

Madonna's  Revolution of Love is oddly similar to Gaga's Manifesto of Mother Monster and the Born this Way album in general. Saying a race within the race of humanity was born without prejudice. blah blah blah ...  Singing of driving on the Road to Love on Highway Unicorn.

The almost pandering to the underdog or outcast. Madonna has always inspired by "being" who she is. Defiant and strong. Yes, in Express Yourself she is telling someone to think better of themselves, but for the most part Madonna has always led by example. Over and Over... I get up again. It's always been Madonna telling her own story (for the most part). Then after Born this Way, Madonna adapts this type of songwriting TO the listener that Gaga did so well on BTW. The songs also insinuate that the listener is broken in some way. 

Again in the Living for Love intro... she's speaking to the listener ... "someone unique, rare, and fearless". 

blah blah blah "perfectly content of who you are" (the implication is that you are NOT)

Iconic... "If you try and fail get up again, destiny will choose you in the end..."

"just shine your light like a beautiful star, show the world who you are" (the implication is that you are not doing these things)

They may seem like trivial examples at first glance, but I can't really remember a time that Madonna ever did this in song. The closest we have is Beat Goes On, but I think this is different as it seems like she's singing to Lola. (to me)

Fishnets, satin sheets
Garter belt, Raw meat

I could go on a bit more... but this is long enough. 

Put your paws up

album_rebel-heart_back.jpg

I don't get it, are you serious ? It's always been in Madonna's DNA to tell people to be themselves, and accept themselves no matter what society expects from them.

It's totally part of her speaking for the LGBT's.

She didn't wait for Gaga for that.

As for RedOne, I would definitely have loved to listen to one song they could have made together with Madonna, to see if it could have matched Madonna's timeless pop songs catalogue.

OMG, these 'Gaga copies Madonna' posts are getting rather tedious now. Has Gaga taken inspiration from Madonna? Of course she has.... Madonna started her career 25+ years before Gaga started hers so its only natural to see a cross-over of ideas... and so many other artists have felt similar influences from artists like Madonna. But lets not pretend that Madonna is entirely original herself. Madonna has made a career of taking influences from other artists... almost 40 years of 'copying/inspiration from artists both before her and contemporary to her. It's pop music, nothing is really original, and whatever an artist does, you can pretty much guarantee that someone else has already done it first. Appreciate both artists for what they deliver rather than trying to tear one down to make the other look somewhat better... it's not productive.

3 hours ago, PWCCA said:

OMG, these 'Gaga copies Madonna' posts are getting rather tedious now. Has Gaga taken inspiration from Madonna? Of course she has.... Madonna started her career 25+ years before Gaga started hers so its only natural to see a cross-over of ideas... and so many other artists have felt similar influences from artists like Madonna. But lets not pretend that Madonna is entirely original herself. Madonna has made a career of taking influences from other artists... almost 40 years of 'copying/inspiration from artists both before her and contemporary to her. It's pop music, nothing is really original, and whatever an artist does, you can pretty much guarantee that someone else has already done it first. Appreciate both artists for what they deliver rather than trying to tear one down to make the other look somewhat better... it's not productive.

^ This

Madonna has copied, mimicked, or paid homage to (whichever phrase you prefer to use) Marilyn Monroe and Kylie Minogue so many times

735c0024d29ca3e8529d40f6b8f6c296.jpg
73d3c4cb78379ff0f115729f600bf3dd.jpg
1.23.jpg
madonna_greta_garbo.JPG
madonna_jane_mansfield.JPG
madonna_marilyn6.jpg
madonna-tina-theft.JPG
kylie1.png
Kylie9.jpg
Kylie6.jpg
400full.jpg

Those are just a handful of examples, I could make an even bigger list for Gaga and others. Everything is copied, inspired, or duplicated by someone else at some point

16 minutes ago, Mister_Pop said:

Sorry, but a lot of these piectures are Madonna paying hommage to the golden age of Hollywood... she has always acknoledged it.

Paying homage to / taking inspiration from / copying / ripping off... people will always see these in different ways for different reasons, but that basic fact is that it is one artist taking from what another artist has already done. It's incredibly common in pop music and is both good and bad.... Kylie does it, Gaga does it, Ariana does it.... and Madonna has been doing it for almost 40 years.

19 hours ago, PWCCA said:

Paying homage to / taking inspiration from / copying / ripping off... people will always see these in different ways for different reasons, but that basic fact is that it is one artist taking from what another artist has already done. It's incredibly common in pop music and is both good and bad.... Kylie does it, Gaga does it, Ariana does it.... and Madonna has been doing it for almost 40 years.

Well, yeah, that's a fact it's a common thing in pop music but it's the way of doing it that can be discussed.