Billboard: Greatest Pop Star every year : Madonna 1985 and 1989

Ian

Greatest Pop Star every year : Madonna 1985 and 1989 !

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/list/9338589/greatest-pop-star-every-year 

1985 MADONNA

BY MAURA JOHNSTON

By the end of 1984, Madonna had already established herself as one of the MTV era’s brightest stars, with boundary-pushing videos, underground-nodding dance-pop hits, and a writhing Video Music Awards performance that turned the then-fledgling telecast into a must-watch event. But the year after Like a Virgin’s release was owned by Madonna from back to front -- the last four weeks of the title track’s run at No. 1 on the Hot 100 opened 1985, and she followed it up with smash singles like “Material Girl” and “Angel,” her feature-film debut and first silver-screen starring role, and yet more unavoidable music videos. 

“Like a Virgin” hit No. 1 in December 1984 and stayed there until the end of January -- just as her Marilyn Monroe-saluting, Keith Carradine-starring video for “Material Girl” was being added to MTV’s rotation. The bouncy, sardonic track would go on to reach No. 2 and become one of Madonna’s career-defining songs, its video establishing Madonna’s blonde-ambition ideal while also showing off her more down-to-earth side. It also helped Like a Virgin reach the top of the Billboard 200 for three weeks in February,  Madonna racked up another career milestone that month, when the May-December drama Vision Quest was released. In the movie, Madonna played a singer at a Spokane bar, performing “Crazy For You,” a lush, Jellybean Benitez-produced ballad that showed off Madonna’s lower range. Madonna’s star power was so strong that in some countries the movie’s title was changed to Crazy For You -- although in America, she had to settle for the soundtrack single being No. 1 on the Hot 100 for a single week in May. 

A month later, Madonna appeared in her first starring role in a movie, getting top billing alongside Rosanna Arquette in the hit mistaken-identity comedy Desperately Seeking Susan. The Susan Seidelman-directed ode to New York City’s bohemian enclaves featured the pop star’s “Into the Groove” in the background of a smoky club scene, although it wasn’t on the official soundtrack. At the time of Susan’s release, Madonna had two other videos still in regular rotation on MTV, and because Madonna’s label was worried about over-saturating the market, “Groove” was only released as the B-side to the glittery “Angel,” rendering it ineligible for the Hot 100. But the punchy, commanding song got an accompanying, movie-promoting visual, and became both a channel staple and a signature Madonna hit anyway -- while its “you can dance... for inspiration” koan would later inspire the title for her 1987 remix LP You Can Dance.   

In April 1985, Madonna embarked on her first live trek: The Virgin Tour brought Madonna’s vision of pop into arenas around North America, kicking off in Seattle and wrapping up with five shows in New York City -- three at Radio City Music Hall and two at Madison Square Garden. The video for “Dress You Up,” the final single (and fourth straight top 5 hit) from Like a Virgin, used footage of the song’s live performance from the Cobo Center in Detroit, while the home video featuring the show in its entirety, Madonna Live: The Virgin Tour, came out in November.

Even while selling out arenas, Madonna remained a force in the clubs, with “Material Girl” and the double-A-sided “Into the Groove”/”Angel” single hitting No. 1 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart after “Like a Virgin” began the year at its summit. She was also a stealth (yet utterly unmistakable) presence on her frequent collaborator Jellybean Benitez’s blippy, freestyle-influenced “Sidewalk Talk,” a No. 1 dance hit and yet another crossover top 40 entry on the Hot 100 by year’s end -- a final testament to Madonna’s first year of true omnipresence.

see 1989 on the Billboard site!

also: Rookie of the Year 1984

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: MADONNA 

In 1984, Madonna climbed out of a cake and into immortality. Her performance of “Like a Virgin” at the first-ever MTV Video Music Awards that September, featuring the 26-year-old writhing on the Radio City Music Hall stage in a long, flowing wedding dress, quickly proved one of pop music’s most iconic national debuts, setting the rising dance-pop singer-songwriter on the path to global superstardom. Both “Like a Virgin” and its parent album of the same name would go on to top the Billboard charts; by the next year, Madonna’s stated ambition “to rule the world” had been fully realized.

also: Honorable mentions in 1986 Madonna (True Blue, “Live to Tell,” “Papa Don’t Preach”)

also: 2012 COMEBACK OF THE YEAR: MADONNA 

Leave it to Madonna to announce her return to pop at the year’s biggest televised event -- the Super Bowl. In February, Madonna, with the help of Cirque du Soleil, LMFAO, Cee Lo Green, and recent collaborators Nicki Minaj and M.I.A., headlined the big game’s halftime show. They debuted the Madge-Minaj-Maya collab “Give Me All Your Luvin,” while reworking hits like “Music” and “Express Yourself” and even courting controversy thanks to M.I.A.’s extended middle finger. That segued into the promotion for Madonna’s 12th album MDNA, an EDM-informed pop fantasia that  hit No. 1 in April and set the stage for the set’s ensuing 88-date promotional tour.

forgot to add that she also got:

1990- Honorable Mention  

1998- Honorable Mention

I think she should've been featured in 2000 and 2005 but in billboard terms I guess her points -or impact I guess-  were divided 2000-2001 and 2005-2006

oh and in 1990 just honorable mention? as if! she was literally on top of the world back then , everywhere!!

1 hour ago, Ian said:

forgot to add that she also got:

1990- Honorable Mention  

1998- Honorable Mention

I think she should've been featured in 2000 and 2005 but in billboard terms I guess her points -or impact I guess-  were divided 2000-2001 and 2005-2006

oh and in 1990 just honorable mention? as if! she was literally on top of the world back then , everywhere!!

I thought the same thing about 1990,( I was like, what?)  but after reading it I get how they come to that conclusion. I think Madonna was just riding a wave from 1989 to 1991.  One colossal wave. Lol

Janet and Rhythm Nation was "huge" and I think the album debut was 1990?

3 minutes ago, LikeAMelody said:

I thought the same thing about 1990,( I was like, what?)  but after reading it I get how they come to that conclusion. I think Madonna was just riding a wave from 1989 to 1991.  

Janet and Rhythm Nation was "huge" and I think the album debut was 1990?

only in America tho , so yeah that's why billbored gave it the props that year

:04: