Madonna: The Unauthorized Rusical

booyakasha

Drag Race Sneak Peek: Which Queen Doesn't Have a Prayer of Winning the Madonna Musical Challenge?

With Aiden Zhane out of the game, her feud with Brita has been squashed (for now), but there’s still plenty of drama in the RuPaul’s Drag Race workroom this Friday (VH1, 8/7c).

As revealed in the preview clip above, the queens still have a few “unresolved issues” from last week’s Untucked, particularly Heidi N. Closet and Widow Von’Du feeling like some of the queens went too far with their unsolicited, hurtful critiques. “You’re going to have to call me the umpire, because I’m about to call these bitches out,” Heidi tells the cameras.

Gigi Goode apologizes, insisting she would never imply that Heidi is ugly. Other queens like Jackie Cox and Sherry Pie follow suit, but not everyone is interested to hear what they have to say.

After saying that she hopes they fall down during the next dance challenge, Widow tells the queens, “I hope someone tears you down just as much as you tore us down.”

Needless to say, the energy in the workroom is tense when the queens come back together for this week’s challenge, Madonna: The Unauthorized Rusical. And that tension only escalates when the queens start casting roles, especially when Brita’s limited vocal range leads to her stealing Gigi’s No. 1 pick.

At least Jan seems to have the right attitude going into this challenge. She isn’t thrilled to be portraying “early” Madonna, nor does she want to have to be the first queen on the stage, but she accepts it and moves on with a hearty, “Yeah, I’ll sing my t–ts off!”

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

This was genuinely fabulous and actually quite emotional. What a tribute. Well done RPDR. A beautiful tribute with so many details. Michelle poured her heart into this and it shows. 

Ok, so was not just me feeling quite emotional!:Madonna041:

What a beautiful tribute, base on the reality and made me once again a proud fan!

:Madonna010:

• 1 month later...

Gigi Goode of 'RuPaul’s Drag Race' Breaks Down Her Madonna Performance

Because let's be honest, "Madonna: The Unauthorized Rusical" was one of the best parts of Season 12.

If anyone could do a backflip in heels, it's Gigi Goode, one of the top contestants from season 12 of RuPaul's Drag Race. But that actually wasn't the hardest part of channeling Madonna in her rendition of "Papa Don't Preach," Gigi tells Women's Health in the latest episode of "Performance Review." (As it turns out, mastering the iconic chug in the number was much harder for Gigi.)

In the video, Gigi shares tons of behind-the-scenes stories from "Madonna: The Unauthorized Rusical," one of the highlights of the season.

“Being in drag is working out,” Gigi says. “You’re constantly in heels, your legs hurt, your waist is cinched, you have to be standing up straight the entire time. There’s a heavy wig on your head, heavy costumes."

While planning out the Rusical, contestants had to figure out who would play each version of Madonna. Though at first Gigi wanted to play “cone-bra Madonna,” she ultimately landed on “Papa Don’t Preach” Madonna, in part because of the outfit. “You don’t want to be swallowed up by the look,” when you’re doing a Rusical, she says, so she thought to herself, “I’m going to be able to be Madonna, Madonna is not going to take over me.”

For Gigi, the choreography in the Rusical experience proved challenging since it normally isn’t a part of her drag performance. In order to nail the musical number, she worked with choreographer Jamal Sims — who she now DMs almost every day, lol — who helped her master the classic “Papa Don’t Preach” chug.

“They say drag is a contact sport,” Gigi says, “and they are so right about that.”