Madonna's "American" Songs: American Life and American Pie!

Voguerista

American Life and American Pie: Which song and video is your favorite? And to make things more complicated.... remember "American Life" has two videos.

I love both in the song category, but, "American Life" is my favorite from the two. 

For best videos from the two, I'd choose American Life's second video over American Pie's!! But, if we were comparing American Life's 1st video with American Pie's video, I'd choose "American Pie" as my favorite. (omg, I was getting confused writing that :seeno: )

Both songs are not good. American Life is just horrible in every way, it sounds like 2 or 3 songs just mis-matched and patched together, however, the video is rather good (better if viewed on mute). The American Life album is actually rather good, but the title track is the poorest track on the album. 

American Pie, the original, is an absolute classic... well-written and well-performed. However, Madonna's cover lacks all the magic that the original delivered... I can see why she doesn't really acknowledge it at all now. I did like the video though.

I liked American Pie (original) when it came out but still found it a bit too "homely" , now Madonna's rendition I found to be fresh and updated and her voice was lovely and very pleasant and their production (Orbit's and M's) sleek and clean;  Don loved her version too!

I was never a fan of AL (the song) -even though I sometimes find myself doin' the rap :tongue: - but the original video was great! and she was right all along...

3 hours ago, PWCCA said:

Both songs are not good. American Life is just horrible in every way, it sounds like 2 or 3 songs just mis-matched and patched together, however, the video is rather good (better if viewed on mute). The American Life album is actually rather good, but the title track is the poorest track on the album. 

American Pie, the original, is an absolute classic... well-written and well-performed. However, Madonna's cover lacks all the magic that the original delivered... I can see why she doesn't really acknowledge it at all now. I did like the video though.

Don MacLean loved Madonna's version of American Pie and it is his song.  Madonna did not like it, hence it has been ignored by her even though it was a sizable hit.  I think that AP was inventive for a cover, definitely prefer it to let's say, Fever.  I really enjoy American Life too.  The song set the tone for the entire rest of the album.  The American Life album was brilliant stem to stern.  People haggle over the rap but I love the song.  It sounded very at the time modern and has aged well.  Art is all subjective I suppose but I love both off these songs.  I prefer AL to AP but it is just because covers are more difficult to score your heart in to.

American pie ! 1999 is my fav Madonna year as a fan. I just love what was coming from her, she was radiating pure happiness that year. American pie & Beautiful stranger videos were on heavy rotaions on every music channels and it was just delicious. She was effortlessly beautiful and her voice was as sweet as honey. 1999 was a jewell.

American Life has grown on me over the years. How clearly Madonna sees things to release that song when she did. She pays for her bravery though while others are often celebrated. The video is amazing and I was unhappy that she didn't seem to stand by it. She still made it and the song though so I give her credit. 

When I first heard the song I was put off by how harsh it sounded. Talk about bursting America's bubble. She was being brave here and I have come to really appreciate it now. 

American Pie to me is a song focused on nostalgia but the lyrics sound like someone singing prophetically as well. I know why he wrote the song but the lyrics are so interesting. 

I think what didn't work in Madonna's version was she seemed disconnected from the songwriters original intent of the song. I think her vibe was looking back at the time that song was released and her age at that time which is great and that is what I got from the video but the lines in the song are not talking about her reminiscing about her youth so there seems a disconnection. 

I think her intentions singing the song were different than Don McClean's were and the song lost it's punch a little. 

So if I think of Madonna looking back at that time nostalgically I enjoy Madonna's version and the video is great.