Saluting the 2010's: Madonna's 10 best songs.

groovyguy

On 4/14/2020 at 12:31 PM, Daphne Du Maurier said:

Rebel Heart and Madame X are by far her two best and most creative albums released after Ray Of Light!

Yeah, if only we ignore the existence of the critically acclaimed, commercially successful Music and Confessions on a Dancefloor :speakno:

2 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

Yeah, if only we ignore the existence of the critically acclaimed, commercially successful Music and Confessions on a Dancefloor :speakno:

Music was the album where, from an artistic point of view, things were slowly going downhill.

Maybe I had just expected something much, much better after the outstanding Ray Of Light. So she just copied Cher and became a vocoder-robot. The few Orbit songs sounded more like remnants of unused Ray Of Light material. But that´s just me opinion ...Paradise (Not For Me) and Gone are beautiful and the highlights of an otherwise very average album. Maybe I just expected an outstanding masterpiece like my beloved Frozen and didn't get it on this album.

I never liked COAD ... maybe because the mass audience loved it soo much. I always hated Hung Up ... i love ABBA and their music and let´s be honest Hung Up was just such a big hit because of the ABBA sample. Otherwise it would never have been a worldwide No. 1 (with the exeption of the US where it peaked at 7). I know it is the most successful single of her (as sad as this fact is) and everyone loves the track ... but Hung Up has none of the magic and fascination that makes Madonna so unique. If i had to make a list of the best singles of her career then the song wouldn't even be in my top 50 (4 Minutes as well!)

Most of the tracks on COAD are boring (I love NY, Push) or too suitable for the masses (Jump). I really like Like It Or Not, Forbidden Love and Fighting Spirit...so it´s not a complete failure!

1 hour ago, Daphne Du Maurier said:

Music was the album where, from an artistic point of view, things were slowly going downhill.

Maybe I had just expected something much, much better after the outstanding Ray Of Light. So she just copied Cher and became a vocoder-robot. The few Orbit songs sounded more like remnants of unused Ray Of Light material. But that´s just me opinion ...Paradise (Not For Me) and Gone are beautiful and the highlights of an otherwise very average album. Maybe I just expected an outstanding masterpiece like my beloved Frozen and didn't get it on this album.

I never liked COAD ... maybe because the mass audience loved it soo much. I always hated Hung Up ... i love ABBA and their music and let´s be honest Hung Up was just such a big hit because of the ABBA sample. Otherwise it would never have been a worldwide No. 1 (with the exeption of the US where it peaked at 7). I know it is the most successful single of her (as sad as this fact is) and everyone loves the track ... but Hung Up has none of the magic and fascination that makes Madonna so unique. If i had to make a list of the best singles of her career then the song wouldn't even be in my top 50 (4 Minutes as well!)

Most of the tracks on COAD are boring (I love NY, Push) or too suitable for the masses (Jump). I really like Like It Or Not, Forbidden Love and Fighting Spirit...so it´s not a complete failure!

And let me guess: the bland production of Rebel Heart is superior than Music's one? Music, Don't Tell Me, Impressive Instant, I Deserve It etc etc are average tracks whereas total garbage such as Veni Vidi Vici, Iconic, Sex, the two Bitch etc etc are outstanding songs? And the uninspired musical arrangements of Rebel Heart, Best Night, Borrowed Time etc etc are superior than Mirwais' experimental sound? Thanks for the laughs.

Also, if you complain about the vocoder and autotune in Music then you can't praise Madame X... in Madame X the vocal effects are irritatingly ubiquitous, ruining the album potential.

Anyway, sometimes I'd love to understand some fans' "logic", who praise total failures such as Rebel Heart while trashing fine works such as Erotica or Music...  you don't like Music and Confessions and that's perfectly fine, but artistically, critically and commercially, they are successful albums.

Can we say the same for Rebel Heart and Madame X? No.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Daphne Du Maurier said:

I thought I was the only fan who hated hung up so thanks for that ? we seem to like the same songs too on COAD ?

There's no doubt that the quality of her writing, the production and vocals during the last decade fell off a cliff. Luckily she has enough star power, talent in other areas and creativity to keep fans round. Compare to the 80's 00's and 90's the teens have been an utter shit show a handfull of songs aside. 

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

There's no doubt that the quality of her writing, the production and vocals during the last decade fell off a cliff. Luckily she has enough star power, talent in other areas and creativity to keep fans round. Compare to the 80's 00's and 90's the teens have been an utter shit show a handfull of songs aside. 

I think there is something to be said that after Warner, Madonna was never the same. I don't know if it is that they kept her on track or really cultivated the quality. I know she is Madonna and can do whatever she wants before anyone jumps down my throat but I wonder if her "falling off a cliff" had anything to do with the record label swap. It at least coincided or contributed to it IMO

I think a lot of legacy acts thought their fan base would switch to streaming and stopped producing CD singles. They misjudged the market and in truth streaming only really took off for newer acts in the early days targeted at a youth audience.

Warner seemed to be about control and budget issues. The truth is they really kept the quality control of her output up. 

MDNA & Rebel Heart were so badly mis managed and advised and that shows in the end products. 

Her last on the shelves CD single was Celebration here in the UK I believe. GMAYL  was a drip feed late ordered 2 track promos from what I remember and they stopped?

Also her last top ten single. 

Her weakest selection of singles for sure but some great songs amongst the albums

1. Love Spent

2: Falling Free

3: Beautiful Killer

4: Rebel Heart (Demo Avicci version)

5: Extreme Occident 

6: Future (Live version from Madame X tour)

7: I Don't Search I Find (Honey Dijon Club Mix)

8: Ghostown 

9: I'm A Sinner

10: Some Girls

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I concur that the 2010s (sadly) hosted Madonna’s weakest work. I could write an essay on why. Egads! It wasn’t all terrible, though. 

Here are my top ten songs, in order where they fall on each album:

Gang Bang

I’m Addicted

I Don’t Give A

Love Spent

Beautiful Killer

Devil Pray

Ghosttown

God Control

I Don’t Search I Find

I Rise

Honorable mentions: I’m a Sinner, Falling Free, Best Friend, Living for Love, Joan of Arc (cringey lyrics but that gorgeous melody) Holy Water, Rebel Heart, Medellin, Batuka, Crave, Crazy, and Come Alive.