Poll: Secret Project Revolution or Her-story?

John Wayne

Poll: Secret Project Revolution or Her-story?  

22 members voted

1. 1. Poll: Secret Project Revolution or Her-story?

• Secret Project Revolution
    • Her-story

I'm gonna be honest. I wish she had invested that time and money on making music videos for her actual singles instead :redface: And it's not like I don't understand her artistic choices  when it comes to trying to make a statement on other areas. But damn, who cares if you don't have a hit anymore... I'm sure fans will always be happy.

I think both were sad.

A lot of work went into them (initially) and then were dropped just as fast (it seemed to me).

Secret Project was Madonna waving "hey, do this!!!" and even her life long fans replied, "nah .. we're just gonna Netflix tonight" .. she couldn't get people interested.

And I think the response either made her sad or really pissed off to realize her pull was no longer a "pull" with her fans, the built-in trust/give/take was gone. We just let her fail. 

But she does that to herself. MDNA Skin? Okay .. I'm a 40 year old man .. I don't care. And your audience is NOT a lot of women. And the majority of non-fans think you've had too much work done -- so SKIN care is like .. an odd pairing when you clearly have fillers, etc to make you look as "wonderful" as you think you do.  I guess MDNA SKIN and HARD CANDY gyms are the same -- a lot of work -- and then she abandoned them both .. like her Truth Or Dare fragrance or shoes .. what about the Material Girl clothes?

Guy took her down some (possibly lucrative) roads in merchandising, but man .. comes off as a sell-out when you list them all.

Edited by captainjay (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, madgefan said:

I'm gonna be honest. I wish she had invested that time and money on making music videos for her actual singles instead :redface: And it's not like I don't understand her artistic choices  when it comes to trying to make a statement on other areas. But damn, who cares if you don't have a hit anymore... I'm sure fans will always be happy.

That's the thing though -- I don't think the fans are happy. We are NO LONGER aligned at all at a time when most artists (at this stage in their career ---> see Metallica or Depeche Mode) are ALIGNED and giving fans what they want and please them, because gaining fans at this stage is IMPOSSIBLE with no air play or video play -- but losing fans is easier and more damaging. 

She's a damager. 

Or -- she'd be on social media this week saying, "Holy Shit --- I didn't realize there was so much interest for BLOND AMBITION TOUR -- you know what? I'm going to fast-track this -- what do you want? Single show? Two shows? Live CD? Maybe I'll call up the girls and dancers and we can do an Ask Me Anything when we promote it --"

RADIO SILENCE ....

The big anniversaries keep passing her by and we look to her and it's, "hey .. watch the Vogue video again! What's your favourite part of Vogue?" 

Stupid. A complete waste of an opportunity to engage fans and make a buck. 

But go to Metallica.  EVERY Monday during Covid, they're airing a pro-shot concert online. 

They just launched their OWN vinyl club -- where you subscribe and are guaranteed to get exclusive material on vinyl THEY publish according to what FANS demand.

Depeche Mode re-released ALL of their singles by album in box sets.

ALIGNED.

Madonna? Not even close.

Edited by captainjay (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Not Candy said:

SP infinitely most profound but both derved to be immortalized on her videography, on DVD releases, extras, a collection of artistic experimental works or something

I think that is a very nice thought, but no one saw the videos. Aside from a handful of fans, no one knows it happened .. 

13 hours ago, captainjay said:

That's the thing though -- I don't think the fans are happy. We are NO LONGER aligned at all at a time when most artists (at this stage in their career ---> see Metallica or Depeche Mode) are ALIGNED and giving fans what they want and please them, because gaining fans at this stage is IMPOSSIBLE with no air play or video play -- but losing fans is easier and more damaging. 

She's a damager. 

Or -- she'd be on social media this week saying, "Holy Shit --- I didn't realize there was so much interest for BLOND AMBITION TOUR -- you know what? I'm going to fast-track this -- what do you want? Single show? Two shows? Live CD? Maybe I'll call up the girls and dancers and we can do an Ask Me Anything when we promote it --"

RADIO SILENCE ....

The big anniversaries keep passing her by and we look to her and it's, "hey .. watch the Vogue video again! What's your favourite part of Vogue?" 

But go to Metallica.  EVERY Monday during Covid, they're airing a pro-shot concert online. 

They just launched their OWN vinyl club -- where you subscribe and are guaranteed to get exclusive material on vinyl THEY publish according to what FANS demand.

ALIGNED.

Madonna? Not even close.

:clapp::worship:

Secret Project Revolution for me. However, I gotta say that it had the right material, message and aesthetics but the wrong execution, and that’s one example of good ideas not meaning much without good execution.

She filmed some great footage and looks, great moments but there wasn’t much to glue them together as a concept. First of all, the name was very uninspired. What does “secret project revolution” even mean? They had 5-7 minutes of original footage that they kept repeating and reversing for the next 21 mins. Instead of that, film more content in more locations with some actual things going on, including songs and performances by Madonna from MDNA, that fit the context, in those sets and having the spoken words in-between, like Lana Del Rey’s Tripico, have some color scenes or something with more “action” or diverse scenery at least, and instead of BitTorrent, make a deal with Apple or Netflix to broadcast it, play it some art house cinemas, or release it globally, make some buzz for it.

It’s great, but it to most people it comes off as a prolonged fashion magazine ad than an actual work of its own. I love what it offered, I love the ideas but I can’t help but feel bitter that the one time she decided to make a short film, it misses so many great opportunities, not to mention the great songs on MDNA that were in desperate need for a music video or some visual counterpart that could’ve fit perfectly into it like Gang Bang, Beautiful Killer and Love Spent, at least.

Madame X suffers a very similar problem, great concept, bad execution. It would’ve been a perfect candidate for a short film/visual album and it could’ve fleshed out the Madame X persona beyond the eye patch and the typewriter and actually had her travel the world and do things, but no they just dropped the ball right after they dropped the trailer.

On 4/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, captainjay said:

She's a damager. 

RADIO SILENCE ....

ALIGNED.

Madonna? Not even close.

????????????????

This should be hung on her wall ? like really, it makes me feel so bad, because as you said, other artists are doing wonders to keep their fans engaged. Look at Bowie for god’s sake, the man passed away and his company is releasing limited editions, color vinyls and remasters for every single’s anniversary, and Metallica too, as you said.

Her attempts to gain new fans through collaborations with new singers is neither winning her the new fans she wants nor is it getting her the love and respect of her old fans and is ending up losing both. Also, I hate how cheap her management is in terms of releases and literally everything. Look at what indie artists with a tiny fraction of her wealth, popularity, influence and budget are doing with short films, special vinyls, epic music videos, photo shoots, artworks, signed albums sold at retail price for a limited time..etc and compare that to Madonna, cheap merchandise, rushed music video, baldy photoshopped artworks and terrible single covers, ever downsizing of her budget for shows, lack of promo, terrible overpriced merchandise...

She and/or her management are killing her own career with their own hands.

I'm sorry but you are not fair to Madonna... rushed music video ? badly photoshop artworks and so on ?

Are we talking of the 5 BEAUTIFUL music videos that was made for Madame X ? Are we taking of the stunning covers for her most recent albums ? The musical quality of them ?

She still gives her fans iconic things, much more than a box set that would celebrate the success of a 30 years old albums.

I'm here for her new music, waiting in line to see what's next. I can celebrate her career anytime, don't need her to spend time with it. And that's the most important thing, that's what keeps her relevant. She 's no Alanis Morissette, relying on Jagged Little Pill to stay relevant (sure she will mark every big anniversary of it- no offense I love her. If Madonna's team would rely on past glorious albums, that is exactely what will be killing her career. Thank God, Madonna's career is alive and to me she's so doing the right things for it.

rh.jpg.2fff12579a771c6ba022057edc0a26b5.jpgm-madonnacover2-41720.jpg.a250adf51f3cac134d928ea6310c0144.jpg