Drake Is Just One Hit Single Away From Tying Madonna’s Most Important Record

Voguerista

Sadly, I think we may see others do the same thing in the future. Then again, I'd never be one to think Madonna couldn't have more huge hits? Penny for your thoughts?

Drake Is Just One Hit Single Away From Tying Madonna’s Most Important Record

Drake is back inside the top 10 on the Hot 100 (not that he’s often far away from the region) with his new single “Toosie Slide,” which opens at No. 1 this frame. As if landing one of fewer than 40 chart-topping debuts in the 60-year tenure of the chart wasn’t enough, the rapper comes one step closer to matching one of the most impressive records in U.S. chart history.

“Toosie Slide” is Drake’s thirty-seventh top 10 on the Hot 100, which now stands as the second-greatest accumulation of smashes in the decades-long history of the most important songs ranking in the U.S. With another win to his credit, the hip-hop superstar is just one hit behind the all-time record holder.

Madonna continues to lead the charge when it comes to the most top 10 hits in U.S. history, and she has held on to that record for many years. The pop icon has landed inside the top tier 38 times throughout her lengthy and storied career, and it was a while ago that she passed The Beatles, who currently sit in third place among all acts when looking only at how many top 10 smashes they’ve scored.

While she may claim the most top 10 singles ever, Madonna hasn’t added to her total in some time, and it’s entirely possible she won’t again. The last time the legend pushed a track to the highest tier on the Hot 100 was back in 2012 when "Give Me All Your Luvin'" with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. spent one week at No. 10 after the trio performed it at the Super Bowl. Since then, most of Madonna’s singles have missed the chart entirely.

Drake, on the other hand, is still upping his career total consistently. In 2020 alone, he’s now collected two more top 10 hits (with “Toosie Slide” and “Life Is Good” with Future), and in 2019 he scored three. In 2018, he upped his career count by a lucky 13 top 10s, an incredible sum for any musician during any period of time, let alone in just one calendar year.

With a new album likely coming at some point in 2020, there’s a very good chance that Drake matches, and probably passes, Madonna’s 38 top 10 hits, becoming the musician with the most wins in the history of the Hot 100 in the process.

9 minutes ago, Inco said:

Seriously. Who´s Drake? I´ve never listened to any of his songs, never heard on radios or anywhere.

I try to stay away from radio hits, but even I heard of him. Being on the internet means you can't miss Drake. He has just as many memes as hits.

Those charts records are fun and all but when you have a song that is arguably one of the most enduring and defining songs in pop culture as 'Holiday' that never managed to get inside the top 10 in the US it speaks volumes of how numbers sometimes are just... numbers.
I could argue that at least 10 of those 38 top 10 Madonna songs are bigger in impact on the pop culture than Drake's career as a whole :Madonna052::fingerclick:

It's very weird how you can gain that much and the music just doesn't stand out. It's all about followings with little effort or inspiration to actually create a hit song. 

When are we going to get a new generation of artists? I've been hearing the same names for years now. 

What I would love to see is a break from the music industry and billboard to customers becoming patrons of artists. Instead of chasing Billboard and radio make them obsolete. 

https://www.patreon.com/c/visualartists

Charts are not compiled the same way they were 30, 20 or even 10 years ago, so drawing comparisons is pointless.

Ive said this before, but if, in 1990, every song I played on my CD player counted toward charts, history would look very different.

But Radio counted for alot, and you couldnt stream a song from your phone. You had to leave your house, get your ass to a record store and buy a 9,99$ Cd Maxi-Single (for that ONE mix you wanted). Not everyone and their dog was given a say on charts.

Radio also influenced what was played. Today, they suck up to their listeners.

And to bring Drake into the same game as Madonna is offensive in itself.

19 minutes ago, Askeroff said:

i dont know why people always attacks and drags artists who beats Madonna records.
Sooner or later most of her records will be taking by others . Time is change.
There no Drake fault at all. 
its just a  public choice.

When I was younger I felt no need to make sure Madonna songs were hits. Name one hit song in her 38 that was mediocre. Seriously.  If we had the mentality of the young music listener today Madonna and other star's numbers would be astronomical and we would have never heard of others. She has had great songs miss the top ten. 

Madonna was my favorite artist but if someone else came up with something I liked I bought it. 

I don't have a problem with people beating records but it seems music listeners are in it for a chosen person and not the music in which case all they have to do is release. It's not a big accomplishment. Just like in politics young people put people up on pedestals and they don't have to work for anything. 

Yeah. Out of her 86 singles Madonna has had 8 features  duets and most of those have been in her least sucessful decade commercially (the teenies). 

Drake. ahem. 114 of his slew of singles have either been a feature or had a feature. Drake is from the era of stars that live for collaborations and recognise that by throwing four lines on a song here or there keeps his name out there and games the charts at the same time. It also trades on the star power of 2+ names. Good for him. 

...but to compare Madonna and Drake is like comparing chateaubriand to corn dogs.

Pop culture isn't about figures it's about crossing over into the consciousness of peoples lives. 

One Dance was huge - I had to actively go and find it on Spotify to know what it sounded like. 

He had three big songs with Rihanna...(who did most of the legwork). Take Care, Whats My Name and Work.

An awesome feature on Mine with Beyonce.

A great pair of songs in Hotline Bling and Hold On We're Going Home. (his only real crossover hits).

It is also well documented that charts and sales have alway been racially stacked.

In a pre streaming era of the 90's and 00's most "urban / black " music (awful labels). Was purchased by white people. Purchased purely through economic circumstances. People of colour historically do not have the financial security that their white brothers and sisters have.... as a rule.  The social economic impact of this was demonstrated in people like Tina / Michael / Whitney / Mariah / Beyonce making specific moves to appeal to white audiences. They would never want to abandon their roots but for financial stability and longevity they have to go where the sales are.

Piracy was a huge thing in the 80's 90's and 00's. Many "urban / black" music was sold out of the boots of cars in black neighbourhoods in discounted bootleg form, thus not contributing to recordable sales and this visibility / status. Motown really survived this because the Cassette hadn't been created yet and the only way to have those records was to buy them...or you had to go out the functions to here them..or the radio. 

So when streaming came along, black artists really switched it up and no longer had to pander to a white market. Beyonce is the perfect example of this. She knew once streaming was the main platform and operated on a free tier like You Tube / Spotify she stopped playing the game of Nice Popstar and evolved into the incredible artist she is now. Drake is another example of this. It's a beautiful thing to see and has led to people of colour being able to take charge of their own output careers and have control away from the white execs a lot of the time.

Purchasing music is still a thing. Vinyl sales have increased massively in the last few years...but again. It's mainly for rock / indie / pop  artists and sales in "urban / black" music haven't transpired.

Drakes achievements should be celebrated but I know it feels like it's somehow feels like these records are easily broken these days. Rihanna and her features will likely topple Madonnas records in a few years too. Rihanna fucking knocks though so get em Rih-ri.

Anyway, Speech over. Well done Drake but impact?... nah. Madonna is evergreen.

"In 2018, he upped his career count by a lucky 13 top 10s, an incredible sum for any musician during any period of time, let alone in just one calendar year."

this alone is absolutely ridiculous! It shows how much of a gross mistake is the chart now

they should change the rules, but I'll bet ya they'll do just that after he cracks her record

I think he's horribly overrated and I despise most of his music, but I don't really care about Madonna's record being broken. I mean she's still iconic and a legend at the end of the day, so who really cares?

Also some of y'all must be joking about not knowing who Drake is; he's been around since 2009-ish. Plus he had that infamous kiss with Madonna a few years ago, so you can't really get away with pretending not to know him. :lol:

Edited by Nahual (see edit history)

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I don’t know many songs by him but it’s a different age now with the streaming era and sadly the records will be broken. It doesn’t really bother me because she’ll always be the best and will be remembered. Although I have always said she really does deserve the title for the highest-grossing concert tour of all time :Madonna052: