Slant Magazine Ranks Madonna's 82 Singles

Voguerista

I always love when any publication plays homage to Madonna in some way.

All 82 Madonna Singles Ranked

From “Everybody” to “I Don’t Search I Find,” we’ve ranked all 82 of the Queen of Pop’s singles.

In 2013, Billboard named Madonna the top Hot 100 solo artist of all time, second only to the Beatles. She holds the title for the act with the most Top 10 singles in the United States, and reigns as the female with the most #1 singles in the U.K. According to Mediabase, the music industry service that monitors radio airplay in the U.S., there are currently no less than a dozen Madonna songs in regular rotation on adult-contemporary and classic radio stations across the country. By every objective measure, she’s the most successful singles artist of all time.

But Madonna cast aside her reputation as a “singles artist” relatively early in her career, with albums like Like a Prayer, Erotica, and Ray of Light making a case for the singer as a consummate artist. (Listen to our list of Madonna’s greatest album cuts and B-sides here.) Her colossal success on the pop charts, which generally rewards familiarity and predictability, was possible not because she bucked the system—though from “Live to Tell” to “Justify My Love” to “American Life,” she’s rarely played it safe—but because she struck a balance between embracing trends and setting them.

Earlier this year Madonna hit another milestone, when “I Don’t Search I Find” became her 50th #1 hit on Billboard’s club play chart—extending her record as the artist with the most #1’s on any Billboard chart in history. In honor of this achievement, we’ve updated our ranking of the Queen of Pop’s singles to include four songs from her latest album, Madame X. (Though she released several music videos to promote the album, our criteria for eligibility includes songs that were serviced to radio or clubs.)

The bottom of our list is, not surprisingly, populated largely by Madonna’s most recent singles. But the decline in the quality of her latter-day output is a mere footnote in a nearly four-decade career that has spanned—and, for the most part, mastered—pop, R&B, dance, electronica, and beyond, while simultaneously tackling taboo topics, elevating underground trends, empowering minorities, and pushing the boundaries of so-called good taste. Let’s get to it. Sal Cinquemani

See how they ranked them HERE.

38 minutes ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

Ghosttown at 70 something?

I swear these boomer critics read a Madonna song title followed by "2015" and think "this can't be good let's put it at the end".

No way this song deserves that placing.

Yes! They also call out the use of autotune in it. I don't really hear it or see it as an issue. Like, they're really saying that Who's That Girl is better than Ghosttown? Really, Slant? Really?

I have huge respect for older Madonna fans. They made her rich, made her who she is, gave her songs and albums the impact they deserved. But of course they are prone to getting sentimental and not being the best judges of her. I don't think for example that Vogue as a song is objectively her best or second best single even. Only that it's a great song that had big impact and made them proud to be gay when they were young or whatever. And most of her new singles can't really be worse than Hanky Panky. But apparently it's easier for them to forgive her light-headedness when she sells dozens of millions of records rather than now when she doesn't and they probably hate all modern sounding music and probably themselves. She could release the next Frozen today and still it wouldn't crack their top 20. But as I've said before it's Madonna with her great singles, so every damn ranking has got to be right. It would be great though if we saw something different for a change- I feel like those rankings are always the same... Probably because they are from people who would rather hear some rusty underdeveloped demos from her olden days, when they were happy and thriving, than any new note from her.

20 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

I have huge respect for older Madonna fans. They made her rich, made her who she is, gave her songs and albums the impact they deserved. But of course they are prone to getting sentimental and not being the best judges of her. I don't think for example that Vogue as a song is objectively her best or second best single even. Only that it's a great song that had big impact and made them proud to be gay when they were young or whatever. And most of her new singles can't really be worse than Hanky Panky. But apparently it's easier for them to forgive her light-headedness when she sells dozens of millions of records rather than now when she doesn't and they probably hate all modern sounding music and probably themselves. She could release the next Frozen today and still it wouldn't crack their top 20. But as I've said before it's Madonna with her great singles, so every damn ranking has got to be right. It would be great though if we saw something different for a change- I feel like those rankings are always the same... Probably because they are from people who would rather hear some rusty underdeveloped demos from her olden days, when they were happy and thriving, than any new note from her.

I’m an older Madonna fan and have been a fan since 1987 and I don’t like all her old stuff but I would rather listen to hanky panky or even jimmy jimmy than shit like BIM or Turn off the radio - I think it’s her image that puts a lot of us “older “ fans of her new stuff especially her music videos which when she dances or snogs guys young enough to be her kids it just comes off as desperate and sad ☹️ 

9 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

I’m an older Madonna fan and have been a fan since 1987 and I don’t like all her old stuff but I would rather listen to hanky panky or even jimmy jimmy than shit like BIM or Turn off the radio - I think it’s her image that puts a lot of us “older “ fans of her new stuff especially her music videos which when she dances or snogs guys young enough to be her kids it just comes off as desperate and sad ☹️ 

I understand that. But a ranking of songs has to be all about the songs and not the music videos. For example I believe she has released very few singles better than Nothing Fails which has no cringey video, yet I never see it close to the top. It's at 70 here if I'm not mistaken. As for the younger guys, well I'm sure the older fans would gladly have one in their bed but they can't. She can and I don't see the problem in it. If she were kissing guys her age in music videos, it would be ugly to watch anyway ?

I mean....I love some of the stuff Madonna has given us in the last 15 years but is it up there with her 83-05 output? 

No

She doesn't sell a song like she used to vocally and the bells and whistles have to make up for the fact that her range is diminished. There's also some curious melodic absence in the last 3-4 albums. The hooks just aren't there like they used to be. I respect Rebel Heart and Madame X for what they are but many incarnations of Madonna since 05 have been based on other popstars. ( Gwen Stefani / Rihanna / Britney / Alison Godfrapp / Kanye / Justin) 

Madonna really doesn't benefit from invoking the now she always does better when her pool of influences are from yesteryear. 

I'd actually love for her to go balls out pop disco again. God Control is great but it was never gonna get radio play at that length and with that structure. She also needs to step away from and RNB and hip hop influences if she wants a chance at another successful era. 

At this stage in her career she really should head towards the big hitters. Honestly if people like Carl Rae Jepson, Victoria Monet, Jack Antanoff and and Taylor Swift...and yes even Max Martin or Gaga. If these people had the opportunity to write for Madonna the queen of pop, do you think they would turn in any old song. They'd make it the best damn thing they'd ever done. Madonna talks about working outside the box...all of the above would be very much out of her comfort zone. I don't think she should be above it. Career wise it's time to do some public maintenance work. The on record collabs don't seem to have shifted perception and in truth age her or make her look out of touch which is the opposite effect of what she is trying to achieve. If artists and writers names were attached to songs it would be less in your face but the damn melody would be there.  This doesn't have to be a cheesefest it just needs to sit in Madonnas lane. You know what I mean. That vibe that you hear in a great pop song....That's Madonna. 

There's a pop and disco revolution incoming. Melody, diction and chord changes are imminent and the vibey, sample groove, mumble era is in decline, just look at Beibers new album reception.  Mama needs a hit, a hook and a new look. The yes men will no doubt just go along with whatever she concocts next. 

Rebel Heart and Madame X show massive promise and beautiful creativity...but huge swathes of the choruses are under cooked and don't climax. She needs songs, not tracks. There's a difference. The pop writers know how to bring this home. Twin that with the magic we know Madonna herself can bring to the table and you really are looking at a different set of circumstances. The world is here for Madonna...but she needs to lighten up, humanise and laugh again. 

Bitch Im Madonna was Madonna having a hoot and while the song may have been divisive, the energy was undeniable. 

Meddelin is glorious, but the lack of chorus blue balls you. Crave is sublime actually if a little repetitive and one note (that bridge though). 

Anyway it's likely to be another 5 years before another album by which time the disco pop revolution will have passed no doubt.