Your Three Least Favorite or Least Played Madonna Albums!

Voguerista

On 4/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, Lucas B. said:

Am I the only one who truly likes Rebel Heart? It's 10 times better than MX (Madame Mess should be it's title) and MDNA (which I like despite some horrible songs like Some Girls, B-Day Song... Like, what the hell was she thinking when she sang those craps??)

As for the ones who dislike Like a Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories and Confessions: bitches I can't relate and I would really like to understand how you all had balls to choose those perfect albums hahahahahaha

I LOVE Rebel Heart.  It's everything a Madonna album should be

Not big on MDNA or MX but love RH

It's great that we all have such different tastes, but it's really hard to take seriously anyone that would include LAP and ROL in a "worst album list", especially if that person praises Hard Candy above these two.   :smile: 

Hard Candy is to me the only album where every track is a miss. I don't even consider HC to be a Madonna album, there's almost nothing that feels like Madonna on it.  And never before had she been so behind everyone else, desperately clinging onto a sound that was already over. That album was 4 years behind, on top of being mediocre.

As for MDNA, it's a demo-singer's album, at best.  Soul-less, incoherent, and pretty much summarizes everything that's crap in the music biz.   

33 minutes ago, gafuller said:

Sadly, I have to say my least played are the first three? Madonna, Like a Virgin, and True Blue have great singles and some good album songs but as albums as a whole? Eh. I enjoy listening to them in whole randomly but rarely. 

That's the problem.  For example, I never play the album "Like A Prayer" as a whole but I always play the singles: Like A Prayer (7'' Version), Express Yourself (Remix Edit), Cherish (7'' Version), Oh Father (Single Version), Dear Jessie (fade), Keep It Together (Single Remix) and the B-Sides (Till Death Do Us Part, Pray For Spanish Eyes, Supernatural, Vogue). Same behavior with True Blue, Erotica and Ray Of Light. 

Instead I always play the full albums of Confessions and MDNA and never the singles. 

What should be my answer then? Because I love more the "Like A Prayer" era than "Confessions" era but I never play the "Like A Prayer" album (same with True Blue, Erotica and Ray Of Light and I love those eras more).

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

That's the problem.  For example, I never play the album "Like A Prayer" as a whole but I always play the singles: Like A Prayer (7'' Version), Express Yourself (Remix Edit), Cherish (7'' Version), Oh Father (Single Version), Dear Jessie (fade), Keep It Together (Single Remix) and the B-Sides (Till Death Do Us Part, Pray For Spanish Eyes, Supernatural, Vogue). Same behavior with True Blue, Erotica and Ray Of Light. 

Instead I always play the full albums of Confessions and MDNA and never the singles. 

What should be my answer then? Because I love more the "Like A Prayer" era than "Confessions" era but I never play the "Like A Prayer" album (same with True Blue, Erotica and Ray Of Light and I love those eras more).

I went by my playing history. I actually love the self titled album but I simply don’t listen to it much like the others. I only really Like A Prayer simply because I have the CD in my car. So don’t judge based what you actually love, just on how much you play them!

I tried with Rebel Heart, I really did. I remember trying for maybe a week to find something in it I could grab onto, some glimmer of brilliance I was somehow missing, but alas there was nothing, and I just couldn't deal with the loud and obtuse production.

Maybe a year later I tried again, and probably dislked it even more - it seemed to age instantly.

Talking Erotica, even though I adore this album, i can sort of understand the criticism. The production does feel a little raw and even clunky sometimes, but to me there's just this deep, primal brilliance to the whole project that over rides any of the weaker aspects. It feels very experimental, like the culmination of many raw snippets and ideas banged into one form,  and it still captures that early 90's moody club sound like no other pop album.

Least listened to:

3. Hard Candy.... it is an album that works best for me as a straight listen though and I just don't listen to albums straight through much.  It is a great record if you listen from start to finish.

2. Bedtime Stories.... I don't  know why.  I guess that I just have to be in that mood.  I forget about it to be honest.  I actually enjoy the album a lot. 

1. Like a Virgin:  This has always been the least "Madonna" ... Madonna album for me.  

On 4/15/2020 at 3:03 PM, PWCCA said:

Madame X

Rebel Heart

Hard Candy

All three are utter shite. I would add MDNA here too, but Beautiful Killer kinda saved it from dropping into my final three list

In my opinion, Hard Candy was pretty solid (although its feels like a Timberland/Timberlake hijack at times, so I get the criticism) and (for me) Rebel Heart will always be her "what could have been" album.  The leaks stained the era and certainly yielded a different album than Madonna intended to offer.  Madame X , however, is a masterpiece. I love the album.  It truly sounds inventive, modern and unlike anything else being released.  Madonna's soul is dripping all over the tracks and it is brilliant and amazing.  For me, MX is her rebirth.  

• 6 months later...

Like A Virgin
I love Nile Rodgers but this is probably among my least favourite productions of his and there's too much filler.

MDNA
There was definitely a decent album's worth of material there but it all feels a bit disjointed. 

Confessions on a Dance Floor
I honestly don't remember when was the last time I listened to the whole album.

Notable mention: Rebel Heart
Simply cause it just doesn't feel like an album to me at all, more like a Spotify playlist. There's some decent songwriting in desperate search for coherent production. 

Id actually always rather just put on a playlist of singles from 82-87 than any of the first three albums even though Physical Attraction, Where's The Party and White Heat are early career highlghts. 

Outside of those three i'd go with

Hard Candy - No Madonna personality present at all. Word generator Madonna with lifeless delivery and lack of feeling. Very contractual record.

keepers

1. Give It 2 Me
  2. Beat Goes On
  3. 4 Minutes ( It has its charms)
  4. Miles Away ( on a good day)
  5. Dance 2 Night ( Im a sucker for mid 80's soul disco)

Even the tracks I loved like She's Not Me sound a bit naff now and I loathe the Nicole Sherzinger buyings of Heartbeat and Spanish Lesson. What the fuck was Incredible. Gwen Stefani found laughing her ass off. Cringe. M-Dolla....? I don't think. She felt so out of her lane on this record and it set us on a downward path of Madonna not quite knowing who she is and what she stands for anymore. 

Ray Of Light - Absolutely hammered it when it first came out but I just don't feel any urge to go back to it at all. Madonna albums tend to revolve around moods for me and I'm not sure what mood i'd need to be in to put this on. It's not chill enough to top Bedtime Stories not poppy enough to rival an 82-87 playlist and not as direct acoustic enough to usurp American Life. Music is a romp, Like A Prayer is pure excellence, nostalgia and the closest thing we have to an autobiography. Erotica is another absolute mood album full of expression and interesting stances and points of view. I can hear too much A&R ing going on here in some ways. Sooo many downtempos that after all those mid 90's ballads from Rain onwards I'd had enough. I actually find some of the production choices on some of Orbits unreleased stuff from around these eras prick my ears up more. The stream of consciousness didn't work for me as well as others. Candy Perfume Girl, Sky Fits Heaven, Swim, Skin etc. What the fuck is she really talking about. It's a bit psycho babble. Loved it at the time. respect it's importance but I think holding it up as a constant reference to her career has been unhelpful to her artistic choices ever since actually. 

Great album but only really listen to

1. Drowned World
  2. Nothing Really Matters
  3. Sky Fits Heaven
  4. Ray Of Light
  5. Frozen
  6. The Power Of Goodbye

Confessions - Again it sort of feels the same as Ray Of Light. Beautifully produced but I find the two albums quite monotonous in a way. I've said it before but she is miserable, lonely  and angry throughout this album but it's way more muted and dishonest unlike American Life which is very directly angry and tender in other places. It feels...deceitful . Stunning album..don't use anymore. It also dives off a cliff energy and quality wise after Jump and all the additional B sides and bonus tracks are beneath her TBH. 

1. Get Together
  2. Forbidden Love
  3. Future Lovers
  4. Jump
  5. Hung Up
  6. Sorry
  7. I Love New York

Tragically I find MDNA and Rebel Heart a more interesting listen because there's so much to unpick with her choices and I sort of feel there really is two excellent albums buried behind the tragic production choices. MDNA in particular is a completely bi-polar experience. It's kind of fascinating to watch her car crash I can't look away. These albums keep me trying..and I mean with the good stuff on them. It's the nadir of her career but like the relationship it describes there is some gold amongst the litter...I find that super intriguing and very autobiographical too. It's just not as succinct as Like A Prayer. Rebel Heart is so ambitious it sort of collapses under its own weight. a 12 track album would have been one of her very best to be honest.

1. Iconic
  2. Holy Water
  3. Devil Pray
  4. Illuminati
  5. Ghosttown
  6. Body Shop
  7. Joan Of Arc
  8. Bitch Im Madonna
  9. Veni Vidi Vici
  10. Best Night
  11. HeartBreak City
  12. Rebel Heart

I would have to list 4, and not three

Hard Candy

MDNA

Rebel Heart

Madame X

And this in not just because of their low quality (all four rank from subpar to pure shite), but as I don't own any of them, they would automatically rank as my least played. They are also all my least favourite Madonna albums... though not in the chronological order in which I listed them.

11 minutes ago, PWCCA said:

I would have to list 4, and not three

Hard Candy

MDNA

Rebel Heart

Madame X

And this in not just because of their low quality (all four rank from subpar to pure shite), but as I don't own any of them, they would automatically rank as my least played. They are also all my least favourite Madonna albums... though not in the chronological order in which I listed them.

Wow I admire your persistence. If you haven't enjoyed her output in 15 yrs that's some commitment

28 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Wow I admire your persistence. If you haven't enjoyed her output in 15 yrs that's some commitment

15 years isn't so bad though. I have been with her since 1986, so I have almost 20 years of great music to admire lol

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I don’t think Hard Candy is bad but I don’t think it’s that great either. Honestly, my problem lies more in the era than the album itself. Awful visuals, underwhelming tour, and awful vocals. I do find the album fun to listen to though.