Next Album: What Style Should M Explore?

eXtremeOccident

I personally would love to see another dance record, like Confessions but more laid back. I don't think doing another tour to support an album as high-energy as Confessions will be an option after the last tour she did (you never know, though). Personally, if she goes the dance route, I would love to hear some more chill production. Interested to see what route she goes, when the time comes.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
26 minutes ago, Nick said:

I personally would love to see another dance record, like Confessions but more laid back. I don't think doing another tour to support an album as high-energy as Confessions will be an option after the last tour she did (you never know, though). Personally, if she goes the dance route, I would love to hear some more chill production. Interested to see what route she goes, when the time comes.

I’d love to see her work with the Pet Shop Boys and go for that sort of darker synth and dance sound. I can only dream! 

25 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Find an unknown groundbreaking producer + Pat Leonard for the melodies and lyrics and to add that timeless magic to the tracks. That combo of new/edgy/unknown + mature producer "old fashion way" with solid basis as Pat would do wonders for her (see "Ray of Light", Orbit + Leonard).

Sounds like Ray of Light. We don’t need that again.

It would be an interesting direction where we could possibly hear a lower and more soulful tone to her voice without the need for excessive autotuning. She really would need to keep the producers to a minimum though, and preferably no featured artists or else it will just come off as patchy and mis-matched again

6 hours ago, eXtremeOccident said:

Thank you, I didn't mean a full on standards album, good God :laughing:

Something with Jazz INFLUENCES but still mainstream pop.

I think neo-soul is sort of what you're thinking of, not jazz. 

But yes, I'm on board with that. I'm so into chill/downtempo R&B and soul right now. Thanks for suggesting SG Lewis, btw. If you're into this kind of music, I'd also recommend Emotional Oranges. 

LYRICS

I'd love an adult album with adult lyrics. I suggested on her IG that she turned her quarantine diaries into songs. MX lyrics were so annoyingly repetitive, even verses were repeated. Looking for, looking for, looking for verses... 

GENRE

Some good old school Pop would do for me... like RH was supposed to be before its production was destroyed being reworked so many times and always choosing the wrong arrangement.

Dance is ok but I can't see her dancing on tour.. but probably she needs to redesign her tour concept anyway.

PRODUCTION

I think Mirwais has used all his palette and no more new ideas can come from him. Also if Mirwais means so much autotune, please ban him forever.

My biggest wishes are that they let us hear her clear voice, not trying to make her sound young like they did with MX album, no rappers, no featurings. It's pretty evident by now that young people won't buy her album, but just her old diehard fans, so it makes no sense to try and please a younger audience. Many mentioned Dua Lipa but the problem in MX came with trying to make her sound like that, while she has a totally different voice!!

MUSICIANS

I'd love real musicians as in Like a prayer album. Impossible, I know. Guy Pratt just shared his LAP bass secrets on his channel and he is amazing:

I'd really love to have Pat Leonard back on production and musical direction too. I just rewatched Holiday live in Turin and cried. But after MX I lost all my hopes we'll ever get rud of that fake sound...

I just saw this JT video and this is how I'd love her tour would be. Some sounds are from the original recording, but also a great amount of live musicians that produce a powerful sound. A lot of backup singers that help Justin - he basically only sings half of the songs, and can do a lot of dancing without pretending he is singing, which would be impossible. The result is incredible:

Sorry for the long post!!

I dedicate it to @Bel and @stefo and @mirtillo

Guest Nobody Knows Me
9 minutes ago, Enrico said:

LYRICS

I'd love an adult album with adult lyrics. I suggested on her IG that she turned her quarantine diaries into songs. MX lyrics were so annoyingly repetitive, even verses were repeated. Looking for, looking for, looking for verses... 

GENRE

Some good old school Pop would do for me... like RH was supposed to be before its production was destroyed being reworked so many times and always choosing the wrong arrangement.

Dance is ok but I can't see her dancing on tour.. but probably she needs to redesign her tour concept anyway.

PRODUCTION

I think Mirwais has used all his palette and no more new ideas can come from him. Also if Mirwais means so much autotune, please ban him forever.

My biggest wishes are that they let us hear her clear voice, not trying to make her sound young like they did with MX album, no rappers, no featurings. It's pretty evident by now that young people won't buy her album, but just her old diehard fans, so it makes no sense to try and please a younger audience. Many mentioned Dua Lipa but the problem in MX came with trying to make her sound like that, while she has a totally different voice!!

MUSICIANS

I'd love real musicians as in Like a prayer album. Impossible, I know. Guy Pratt just shared his LAP bass secrets on his channel and he is amazing:

I'd really love to have Pat Leonard back on production and musical direction too. I just rewatched Holiday live in Turin and cried. But after MX I lost all my hopes we'll ever get rud of that fake sound...

I just saw this JT video and this is how I'd love her tour would be. Some sounds are from the original recording, but also a great amount of live musicians that produce a powerful sound. A lot of backup singers that help Justin - he basically only sings half of the songs, and can do a lot of dancing without pretending he is singing, which would be impossible. The result is incredible:

This is all fantastic and I’d love for something like this to happen. I was watching Who’s That Girl in Turin last night and it really made me wish for a return of live musicians and Patrick Leonard (sorry, I know it’s said a lot!). If she tours again in arenas then I agree it probably does need to have a different approach that doesn’t involve loads of dancing.  

11 hours ago, eXtremeOccident said:

Wouldn’t it be cool if M went with a more sultry jazz album, somewhat in the style of Where Life Begins and Secret Garden? Could totally see her and Mirwais putting a really cool twist on the genre.

She always seems to take inspiration from music she’s been listening to in the moment, and if her Quarantine Diaries playlist is anything to go by...

I’d totally be here for a moodier album like this. Her lower voice register would sound incredible against this sort of music.

Thoughts?

This is the happiest thing that could happen to me musically!! So fuck yeah yeah yeah! Thank you for just having shared the thought man :heart: ... really 

Let me just add some references, beyond the gems SECRET GARDEN, WHERE LIFE BEGINS you already mentioned (I'd would also include Fever from that album). Some other examples could be the Has to be 1997 piano demo, To have and not to hold, wich is a very fascinating kind of arabic bossanova, sexy as hell, the orchestral version of I want you and, at least, the gorgeous Back in Business from the Dick Tracy period. If you asked me for an example, I'd just write the name of my other passion, Sade.

Now, the only thing I don't share is the reference about Mirways. I'd go, as @Enricosuggests, with Patrick Leonard for the composition and production of some of the songs and a brand new innovative guy, who's got both, classical and electronic trainings, able enough to play with the jazzy mood in a contemporary, deconstructed way.

Now, of course, NO AUTOTUNE AT ALL and a very glamorous image. Not the golden Hollywood one, but stylish, yet simple and rigorous,  winking in a subtle, tong 'n cheek way. And not botox anymore thanx! I'd happily go with some wrinkle and tones of descret make up, if necessary, but not the puffy face.

Those eyes, nose and lips, those gorgeous proportions really deserve better. Botox does to her face what the fucking autotune does to her voice: MAKES HER LOOK OLDER! 

Love U M, mine are just words of love and hope for one more gem to come (I really appreciated the Madame X era musically, with all the imperfections we're getting used to at this point) :Madonna010::Madonna010::Madonna010:

I just hope she'll stop writing about drinking, boyfriends cheating her and collaborating with people that I bet she doesn't know a thing other than "they're hip and current". About the sound, I don't think Madonna will ever be interested in doing a full on "laid-back" album, I can see her rolling her eyes to that idea and calling it boring :scoff:

14 hours ago, Chrato74 said:

Anything that doesn't involved a tsunami of rappers, flash in a pan current "musicians' and producers. She doesn't need them. 80's and 90's are solid proof that all she needs a good songwriter and herself. 4 albums back to back is enough. She needs to make album about just about herself and how she views the world. Not how the world she thinks she wanted to be. An album for all ages that anybody can listen not just certain younger population.

Rebel Heart and Madame X both had NOT a tsunami of rappers (in fact, very few songs had one) and was for all the population. Not for the young population only. Thus, I'm still amazed at this kind of analysis.

Maybe some of you need to let her make an album the way she sees it and not the way you want to see it. It's part of having the mind open, really.

I would even say that anybody who doesn't see the appeal in Medellin for instance (or someone that hated it for the wrong reason anyway) doesn't really get Madonna.

11 hours ago, deathproof said:

Sounds like Ray of Light. We don’t need that again.

Absolutely not. Orbit was just an example. I don't want her to work with him again. I say she sould work with a new unknow producer with edgy ideas but she should add Leonard to the mix because he is like a solid basis for Madonna's work. No matter wich kind of production she will make he will be the one who is able to say "no  this sounds silly, you could add a brigdge here, etc...". To say that if Leonard is involved in a project it will sound like "Ray of Light" is really reductive and makes no sense in my opinion. Orbit brought the etheral sound signature of Ray of Light, not Leonard. Leonard can ajust himself to the new sound of the producer.

11 hours ago, Enrico said:

To each his own. But what JT does here is hardly jazz at all, it's plain Broadway music, played by a Big Band that brings brass but no swing. It sure works very well on stage though.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:05 PM, discohub said:

To each his own. But what JT does here is hardly jazz at all, it's plain Broadway music, played by a Big Band that brings brass but no swing. It sure works very well on stage though.

JT may have fulfilled his inner Sinatra fantasy, I doubt M feels like she has anything to prove as an entertainer. Madame X, as innovative as it was, proved that her concept of a theater performance wasn't nothing close to a Barbra Streisand show.

2 hours ago, discohub said:

I didn't cite it as an example for genre of music, but how to make a show:

1) Kevin Antunes says M wants the songs to sound exactly as in the record. Here the song sounds like the record but you can hear also the powerful live instruments and vocals, while you can't in recent M tours.

2) The many backup singers help him while he is dancing. Better than having a recorded track.