Next Album: What Style Should M Explore?

eXtremeOccident

On 4/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, Enrico said:

I remember it too... but I heard it from Kevin myself. And now almost every song in the tour is exactly like the album version.

For me there's just some natural laziness wich comes according with the passing of time. Do you imagine how much work and energy must cost to create such a different sound for every track as she did for the Girlie Show (Erotica, Rain, Why's it so hard, La isla bonita, Holiday, just to name some)? Now she just adds a very few bars or intros or effects, not that hard, creative either.

7 minutes ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

You never know really. She's definitely one of the few girls delivering with bops lately while others are tanking. Loved her since "Be The One."

I can think of dozens of girls delivering with bops during the last 30 years and then tanking :rip:

Dua's peak was her debut. Currently she's enjoying the attention because there are no stronger competitors in the pop scene... I'm not gonna be fooled by the media which tends to enhance these new pop prophets or whatever and then destroy them by replacing them with younger tarts :laughing:

44 minutes ago, madgefan said:

I can think of dozens of girls delivering with bops during the last 30 years and then tanking :rip:

Dua's peak was her debut. Currently she's enjoying the attention because there are no stronger competitors in the pop scene... I'm not gonna be fooled by the media which tends to enhance these new pop prophets or whatever and then destroy them by replacing them with younger tarts :laughing:

We'll agree to disagree. 

Yeah Dua has a few bopps on her new record but theres 11 and three of them  Future Nostalgia, Good In Bed and Boys Will Be Boys are unlistenable. Love Again uses a really bad played out sample and that's about it. 6-7 good pop tracks.I think I actually prefer her first record which has a bit more range and depth. 

She's just taking advantage of the purer pop drought of the last few years ...and good for her. In a larger purer pop market she would get drowned out a bit more.

3 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Yes absolutely- it’s a jazz album imo ?

I'm Breathless (one of my faves) is not "jazz" per se, it's a soundtrack (more precisely a collection of songs from and inspired by a movie) influenced by the Great American Songbook and other standards, and with modern jazz arrangements. So yes, it's her most jazzy album for sure.

For instance, More takes an obvious inspiration from I Got Plenty O'Nuttin', from Porgy & Bess, a wonderful jazz opera :

On the album, her singing wasn't jazzy at all, she was impersonating many other singers, Broadway and Music-Hall style. Her vocals have evolved since 1990 (DAMN IT'S OLD I BOUGHT THE CASSETTE BACK IN THE DAYS) so I guess she could do it.

Like :

Question is : do you wish for an album with a jazz band or M learning to sing jazz and tackle Gregory Porter ? That's not the same !

On 4/22/2020 at 4:48 AM, mrmadonna said:

Any genre and any producer would do EXCEPT Mirwais with that f**-forbid autotune robotic sound.

You must hate popular music right now cause it is all severely autotuned. Every single pop and R+B artist autotunes the hell out of their music.  It is the sound that is in.  

7 hours ago, madgefan said:

Sorry to rain on your parade but cumbia comes from Colombia.

oh really? well we toooooootallllllyyyyyyyyy didnt know that! As que mil gracias papi! now let's all say it loud like Shakira does on stage: "cumbia de Colooooombiaaaaaa!" 

Besitos profesor ! :hearteyes:

I think she’s only really concerned with  creating stuff that her kids and her boyfriend approve of. She pretends not to need approval but deep down she wants to appeal to a market many years younger than she is so her kids are a natural springboard of opinions for that. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
56 minutes ago, devilpray said:

I need her to do something as left field as Madame X and expand on that. I really don't want her to go down the acoustic route yet, she still has a lot to offer. I'd love a House record from her, she has mentioned wanting to do something like that recently if I remember correctly.

I’d be more than welcoming towards that. 

1 hour ago, devilpray said:

I need her to do something as left field as Madame X and expand on that. I really don't want her to go down the acoustic route yet, she still has a lot to offer. I'd love a House record from her, she has mentioned wanting to do something like that recently if I remember correctly.

House? I'm in. Would love sounds like these:

A dark classic-sounding house album with a modern twist would be cool -- I know she got close with Erotica, but I wouldn't really consider that a "house" record per se, based on the examples above. 

• eXtremeOccident changed the title to Next Album: What Style Should M Explore?
Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 hour ago, eXtremeOccident said:

House? I'm in. Would love sounds like these:

A dark classic-sounding house album with a modern twist would be cool -- I know she got close with Erotica, but I wouldn't really consider that a "house" record per se, based on the examples above. 

Yeah I’d love a synth and deep house album. It’d be so fantastic and that sort of genre fits her brilliantly so it’d be great to see her explore it with a full-length album. 

I don't know about the style but thematically when Madame X was released and she talked about global migrations and roots in Portugal i thought she had never approached that part of her history. Her italian grand-parents (Sylvio Ciccone parents) were first generation migrants in the USA, they were very young when they migrated. They had a very difficult life in Pittsburg, all their kids were alcoholics besides Sylvio/Tony (with all thse alcoholics in his family and among his own chidren it's weird his dream was to have a winery), Tony was the only one who managed to study (thanks to the military...that's also how he met Madonna Fortin through her brother who was based with Sylvio in Texas). The Ciccones were really depressed. On her mother side it's totally different, the Fortin family is one of the oldest family that migrated to north America from France. Julien Fortin left France in 1650 and was an adventurer. The Fortins use the term "Fortintude" to describe the adventurous spirit of the family, even Madonna's maternal family used it.

And even though she kind of covered some themes on "Like a Prayer" it seems she only scratched the surfaced. I wish she would reconnected with the teenager Madonna in Michigan, what drove her, her life, what she liked and disliked, there's a great song to be written about her teenage bedroom IMO and her dreams, struggles.

And i was amazed she talked about this in one of her quarantine video, how she kept thinking about her father and his family, that she never thought about it before. So maybe....

In fact it could be an autobiographical album. Instead of impersonating all these Madame X characters (badly) she could go back to every Madonna at mny important stages of her life to tell us how she really felt then.

Edited by Roland Barthes (see edit history)