Anyone else think Confessions is her most overrated album?

Adam X

1 hour ago, Sultrysully said:

Like a Virgin.  

yeah i mean i guess like a virgin is overrated by the general public but it's trashed by fans pretty often, it's consistently ranked near the bottom by people who are actual madonna fans.

COADF is overrated because it's her last total successful era chartswise (espically with Hung Up being #1 everywhere execpt the USA...), so everything is compared to that, but I agree, it's a good album, but not to put in her ultimate best works IMO.

I mean I like more songs on American Life and Hard Candy and I like them better, except for Like It Or Not or Hung Up. It's all personnal and subjective anyway.

The tour had a big impact though, it was a defining moment in her career, so it's difficult to really judge.  The era in itself is not overrated, I see why it's always refered to, and people were happy she returned to dance music, but the album itself is overrated for me.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:10 AM, Adam X said:

so if it isn't her most overrated, album, what is?

By fans? Bed Time Stories and partly Erotica.

____

Other than that Confessions remains one of her best tunes which aged like fine wine. The whole concept is great, both of the record itself, and the era. We were treated so well during that era. She was everywhere during that time. Fans, GP and media loved her alike. Ugh. And it also spawned her best tour to date. So how can this album possibly be overrated? 

:drama:

2 minutes ago, BadGurlMadge said:

You spoke truth! Ray of light is a great album but some of the tracks are so boring and it feels like people pretends to be obsessed with them such as to have and not to hold. Still Confessions is overrated and isn’t her magnum opus as people say, just a regular disco album

Ray of light is not for every hour. You can't play Little Star or Mer Girl and do your chores or exercise or whatever. But you can drive alone at night and get lost in the music. Or have a headache from a long day when you can't take no more and they will soothe you. Some tracks can seem boring when you are all energised but when you want to talk with yourself you don't need screaming vocals and heavy beats. By the way, To Have And Not To Hold along with Skin are two of the best songs about longing I've even heard. Which is what disappointed me about Crave, that never gives you such chills as those songs. Hope you find the perfect time to enjoy that half of ROL. And Confessions might have been a regular disco album in the 70's. If it were that regular in the 00's, there'd have been like seven other big ones around that time. Where are they?

If you are talking about overrated amongst her most ardent fans...I do think the deeper thoughts of the album are not celebrated enough. What made the album popular with fans actually did nothing for me until I got pass that and really listened to it. I definitely do not think it is overrated. 

Madonna albums overall I think are underrated. Most out there just think of spinning on the dance floor or "striking a pose" but do people really listen to what is being said and how it is being said? 

• 6 months later...
Guest DeeperDeeper
On 4/28/2020 at 1:05 PM, Adam X said:

have you listened to Fever?

Fever shits all over COADF

That's an album you can start the night off and end it to. I'm not even a Kylie fan anymore either. 

I don’t think it’s as fun to listen to as I thought at the time. It’s feels a bit one note at times and I don’t like the preachy back end of the album. It’s a bit serious and not much fun as a whole. I’n fact the whole album is quite serious and wingey apart from Get Together and even in that sings she’s confused. It’s quite a lonely album. She sounds alone on every song. 

On 11/25/2020 at 12:44 AM, steady75 said:

I don’t think it’s as fun to listen to as I thought at the time. It’s feels a bit one note at times and I don’t like the preachy back end of the album. It’s a bit serious and not much fun as a whole. I’n fact the whole album is quite serious and wingey apart from Get Together and even in that sings she’s confused. It’s quite a lonely album. She sounds alone on every song. 

She was lonely or at least that's the impression. It was taken as a "fun! all dance, non-stop!" album at the time but if you listen to it now and pay attention to the lyrics, there are are truly "confessions" hidden there. "How High", for example.

I appreciate the album more now that I did then. I remember back then it felt great to see her back at the top of her game and of course the album is great and "Hung Up" a SMASH but at the same time as a fan you can clearly see her damage control strategy after the "American Life" fiasco. The previous project had changed everything and nothing was the same after. It felt a little bit like going backwards. But it worked for her obviously.

And now I can see "Confessions" is similar to "American Life" but with a different approach... she was quite clever selling it as a all dance, no ballads light project.

Her horse accident I think changed it all too... there were rumours at the time that she felt Guy wasn't fully there for her at that difficult time. So in the promo she slowly came back to her old self: raunchy, sexy, provocative, etc. etc.

singer-madonna-performs-to-celebrate-tod

That promo tour was amazing :hearteyes:

On 4/29/2020 at 2:01 PM, LikeAMelody said:

If you are talking about overrated amongst her most ardent fans...I do think the deeper thoughts of the album are not celebrated enough. What made the album popular with fans actually did nothing for me until I got pass that and really listened to it. I definitely do not think it is overrated. 

Madonna albums overall I think are underrated. Most out there just think of spinning on the dance floor or "striking a pose" but do people really listen to what is being said and how it is being said? 

Absolutely! I think M is underrated, not only as a vocalist, but mostly as a songwriter. As you argue, most people — GP and fans alike — often associate her with dance floors, campy pop music, fun, etc. However, her deep cuts remain in the oblivion, as if they didn't exist. The emotional and even intellectual depth of her lyrics and music are incredible, yet not a lot of credit is given to her in that regard. Even in songs like "Medellin", you can hear subtle layers of instrumentation, the intentions behind the production (instruments and voices alike), and it's just a shame no one pays enough attention. Sadly, her downtempo tracks and ballads are the ones who have kind of disappeared more from public memory, and that is my fave Madonna. "Live to Tell", "Promise to Try", "You'll See", "Drowned world", "Gone", "X-static process", "Easy ride", "Masterpiece", "Extreme Occident"... Music & lyrics for the mind and soul!

If we’re going to talk about rated it’s that Madame X is UNDERRATED! So many fans trash this album yet it’s seriously her best. She went after global experimental political pop and it succeeds and more! Yea there are some unnecessary songs like Bitch I’m Loca (i feel like her label is making her release these super long albums which this one would obviously be cut out if it was shorter) and even her “overrated” and successful albums like Confessions have fillers: Push but legit the core of the Madame X album is so strong! Easily her most ambitious and experimental work yet and all the fans who were CRAVING (pun not intended) her to do non trendy music swept it under the rug and now demand a disco album WHICH IS INFACT TRENDY RIGHT NOW! 

I actually think Confessions is underrated in the US because it wasn’t as successful here as in Europe. 
I think how you feel about it depends on your taste in music. If you like straight up disco dance then it’s great. Personally I have more eclectic offbeat taste in music so although I appreciate the craft of it, it’s not my favorite. 

I think the tour was better than the album. I was the closest I have ever been to her so it was definitely my most memorable show. 

6 hours ago, Shoful said:

If we’re going to talk about rated it’s that Madame X is UNDERRATED! So many fans trash this album yet it’s seriously her best. She went after global experimental political pop and it succeeds and more! Yea there are some unnecessary songs like Bitch I’m Loca (i feel like her label is making her release these super long albums which this one would obviously be cut out if it was shorter) and even her “overrated” and successful albums like Confessions have fillers: Push but legit the core of the Madame X album is so strong! Easily her most ambitious and experimental work yet and all the fans who were CRAVING (pun not intended) her to do non trendy music swept it under the rug and now demand a disco album WHICH IS INFACT TRENDY RIGHT NOW! 

AGREE, EVERY WORD OF IT

19 hours ago, Shoful said:

I disagree on BIL but the rest I do agree with :cute:

Madonna has always been way ahead of the pack (and ahead of some fans that can't move on too) :laughing: