Anyone else think Confessions is her most overrated album?

Adam X

On 11/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, Shoful said:

If we’re going to talk about rated it’s that Madame X is UNDERRATED! So many fans trash this album yet it’s seriously her best. She went after global experimental political pop and it succeeds and more! Yea there are some unnecessary songs like Bitch I’m Loca (i feel like her label is making her release these super long albums which this one would obviously be cut out if it was shorter) and even her “overrated” and successful albums like Confessions have fillers: Push but legit the core of the Madame X album is so strong! Easily her most ambitious and experimental work yet and all the fans who were CRAVING (pun not intended) her to do non trendy music swept it under the rug and now demand a disco album WHICH IS INFACT TRENDY RIGHT NOW! 

What a shame she ruined everything with bad vocals and unnecessary autotune/vocoder...

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

Guest DeeperDeeper
On 11/25/2020 at 7:44 AM, steady75 said:

I don’t think it’s as fun to listen to as I thought at the time. It’s feels a bit one note at times and I don’t like the preachy back end of the album. It’s a bit serious and not much fun as a whole. I’n fact the whole album is quite serious and wingey apart from Get Together and even in that sings she’s confused. It’s quite a lonely album. She sounds alone on every song. 

That's spot on. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's her MOST RECOGNIZEABLE, her last worldwide successful album. It got her a Grammy!

Love for her to do a modern, new DISCO album, so the masses can get over confessions and catch up with the new, pink Madonna! Pink Madonna on the dancefloor could be iconic! think about it!

I don't think Confessions is over rated, I think the era is. Fans look back at the era as the last amazing MADONNA era and attach all sorts of praise to it. The album gets caught up in that, the look was on point, everything was stylish and worked at the time. Since many dislike the Madonna from 2008 onwards they probably make more of the Confessions era than there really was at the time. It has a ton of nostalgia attached.

I also can't say it is over rated by the general public, because outside of fans, it doesn't rate anywhere. It is largely forgotten by most people and doesn't really rate much of a mention when people talk about early to mid 2000's music. At least I never hear it being brought up at all or praised. As a result of going back to University I am around a lot of 20 somethings. They know ROL and Music well enough that if I hum a few bars of music they know and can sing the song, but anything after that is a mystery to them. 

I like Confessions and the tour and everything did feel like it came together and worked well. It all felt cohesive and solid, and I agree it was the last era that was truly like that, everything else has been a bit messy since. I wouldn't say it is an amazing album, but it is fun and great to pop on here and there.

Like a Virgin is her most overrated album by far.  Hits but not very Madonnaesque compared to the rest of her catalog.  It is also the album with the least M writing credits.  A Like a Virgin part two would have sank Madonna.  Instead, we got True Blue and then Like a Prayer.  

collapses

3 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

Like a Virgin is her most overrated album by far.  Hits but not very Madonnaesque compared to the rest of her catalog.  It is also the album with the least M writing credits.  A Like a Virgin part two would have sank Madonna.  Instead, we got True Blue and then Like a Prayer.  

Without Like a Virgin, there would never have been True Blue and Like a Prayer. It was the album that opened all doors for her and made a decent pop singer into a respectable world star.

In this respect, it is one of her most important albums and certainly not overrated - especially when you consider its massive number of worldwide hits and career defining signature songs. The fact that she didn't write many of these songs herself is irrelevant: She made those songs her own through her distinctive interpretation and her translucent personality.

Confessions is a great album, but it is not the best (the best is Ray Of Light bitches), nor do I see it as an "insurmountable" album, on the contrary Madonna can easily surpass herself as she has shown on various occasions. Anyway, I think I agree with the majority and that is that her most overrated album is Like A Virgin, even she has felt rejection for that album.

COAD is a great album. (apart from push which I hate). It's consistent and all killer no filler (apart from push). Although I think Ray of Light is a groundbreaking masterpiece, the end of the album I don't like (power, to have, little star... I do like mer girl tho). But what do I know..... I'm the straight man who fell in love with a hot bitch seeing like a virgin on TV when he was 12 and think that Erotica and American Life are by far her best work. 

If there’s anything that is overrated, it’s Madonna’s 80s, including Blond Ambition Tour and Vogue. Yes, she put out some outstanding songs that I really love, but some people act like she just died after Vogue and came back with one hit in ROL and Music and then died again.

On the contrary, she did some great things in the 80s, yes but she surpassed those by miles with Erotica, ROL, Music, AL and COADF, and the latter was the crown’s jewel in her more modern greatness. She created a classic Madonna dance album without repeating herself. COADF was so original, so powerful, so fun and also a dark and mature when you contemplate the lyrics and message.

I don't think COADF is not underrated at all. I absolutely love that album (except Push).

In terms of overrated, the only one I'd agree to is Madame X. A couple songs are alright, but 90% of it is virtually unlistenable to me. I can't understand anything but English and even if I understood other languages, the robotic voice irritates me. I appreciate the variety of "world sounds" and I appreciate the originality of the album, but sonically I don't enjoy it at all, can't understand what's she's singing in a lot of it and due to the vocoder, it doesn't even sound like her to me. The majority of the songs actually annoy me and grate on my nerves listening to it, and that rarely ever occurs to me and never up until that point with a Madonna album. I'll never forget listening to it with friends, us all shaking our head in disbelief, laughing and asking "really"? I couldn't wait for the album to be over. I literally hated it. Such a change from Rebel Heart where I absolutely adored half the album like crazy (thought the other half was just ok). Anyways, different strokes for different folks. ???‍♂️

Edited by jtrover (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Winn said:

Why does everyone dislike Push tho? I like that one!

Feels a little flat and repetitive compared to the rest of the album. I don't hear any catchy melody, only the Police interpolation saves the song a bit for me. I also don't enjoy Like it or not for the same reasons and also because her voice sounds distorted and too heavy for me. I Love New York is also considered a meh song on the record, but it has better melodies and a killer outro.

Everytime that someone says that 'I can't understand what she's singing because it's Spanish or Portuguese' as an example of a bad thing, in the era of Google Translator on a world that is more interconnected than ever, I roll my eyes. 
How a Madonna fan can say that? lol

#laislabonita #who'sthatgirl #veras #paradisenotforme #loquesientelamujer #italianroots #latinroots #shelivedinportugal #shelovesspanishlanguage #20182020yearsoflatinmusiceverywhere

No, the album and era is perfection and having had that as my first real Madonna era that I experienced, tour and everything, I don't think she'll ever outdo it in my eyes.

That said, the one change I would have made to the album is replace Push with History....and have placed Everybody after Future Lovers on the Confessions Tour, replaced Forbidden Love with Get Together on the tour (with a similar concept). That's it. 

Oh, and I guess if History made the album, replaced the Sorry Interlude with that as the backing song. 

I rarely go back to this album. But I understand why most people like it... It was HUGE, and so gay. Lol

Also, honestly, the videos for “Jump” and “Get Together” were crap. It was the start of Madonna over-focusing on touring and delivering a bunch of mediocre videos.