Best "Holiday" Performance!

Voguerista

This is tough! Blond Ambition and Girlie Show are absolute classics, but I'm going with Sticky & Sweet. I loved the remix with Celebration and the MJ breakdown was awesome. It was such an uplifting moment in the show and I wish it had been included as an extra on the DVD (along with Frozen and Dress You Up).

2 hours ago, tajybajyboo said:

This is tough! Blond Ambition and Girlie Show are absolute classics, but I'm going with Sticky & Sweet. I loved the remix with Celebration and the MJ breakdown was awesome. It was such an uplifting moment in the show and I wish it had been included as an extra on the DVD (along with Frozen and Dress You Up).

Couldn't agree more! 

16 hours ago, dude78 said:

1. Blond Ambition, artisticly, fun, camp

2. Whos that Girl Tour, especialy Torino. there is so much energy when M chears the fans for the encore "Si Si, I love u italy" :hearteyes:

3. Re Invention, its so cardio-dancy 

So true! Every performance of this song has  been so good. 

I went back and watched them all again, since I'm so bored and stuck at home! This is actually really, really tough. I like all of them in their own unique ways.

The Virgin Tour performance is brilliant in it's simplicity. It just feels so easy and joyful. It's very much of it's time and that tour.

With the heavier rock guitar, I guess she wanted a sound that would really fill the stadiums she was playing on the Who's That Girl Tour. I don't dislike it but this might be my least favourite.

Blond Ambition is perfect. To me, this IS Holiday, probably because it's the closest to the Immaculate Collection.

Then again, I love how it evolved in the Girlie Show with the military theme, and the call and response with the audience. I hadn't even thought about it until now, but it was a great way to incorporate the dominance and submission themes of the Erotica album and Girlie Show, into a song that has absolutely nothing to do with either.

The Drowned World Tour performance mashed-up with Stardust was so effortlessly cool, but it lacked the scale of the 2 previous tours, with all the dancers on the stage together. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, because it fit the tour really well, and there was something very special about seeing M flanked by Nicki and Donna again, which showed how much she (and her audience) had matured and grown over the years.

Re-Invention might've been my second least favourite when I first saw it, only because it's so different and takes a while before the melody kicks in, but... in a way that's what makes it so cool! It builds, and builds, and builds, until it explodes into the song we all know and love! I just wish it were longer.

The Sticky & Sweet Celebration performance has so much energy, but it was extremely poignant too. I remember seeing both shows at the O2 London where MJ would have performed his final This Is It concert series. It was heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time, and a genuine moment where everyone in the arena applauded. As a fan of both, I felt so sad to think I would never see MJ perform again, but at the same time, so grateful and happy to have Madonna still around.

Which leaves Rebel Heart (& Tears of a Clown). I don't dislike the Rebel Heart performance but there isn't anything about it that particularly sticks in my mind. The flags around the world had already been done in Reinvention and the arrangement is basically the same as the first album with a couple of breakdowns added. I always find it odd when people walk out of concerts before the final song because they're so desperate to beat the traffic, but in this instance I honestly wouldn't have cared if I'd missed it. In fact I'll go so far as saying I would've preferred to end the show with the original Avicii uptempo mix of Rebel Heart, although I appreciate that wouldn't have been as a good a crowd-pleaser! 

All that said, I think the evolution of Holiday is a brilliant example of what make Madonna so special and unique as a performer. To evolve a song in so many ways is the very reason why she's remained so interesting to me over the years. Most veteran performers have a tick-list of songs on their set-lists, so you know exactly what you're getting, but Madonna doesn't want to just repeat herself, and I love the ways she's re-invented her back catalogue over each tour, particularly in the latter part of her career. It doesn't always work to everyone's satisfaction, but it always keeps things interesting.

Great question!

11 minutes ago, tajybajyboo said:

I went back and watched them all again, since I'm so bored and stuck at home! This is actually really, really tough. I like all of them in their own unique ways.

The Virgin Tour performance is brilliant in it's simplicity. It just feels so easy and joyful. It's very much of it's time and that tour.

With the heavier rock guitar, I guess she wanted a sound that would really fill the stadiums she was playing on the Who's That Girl Tour. I don't dislike it but this might be my least favourite.

Blond Ambition is perfect. To me, this IS Holiday, probably because it's the closest to the Immaculate Collection.

Then again, I love how it evolved in the Girlie Show with the military theme, and the call and response with the audience. I hadn't even thought about it until now, but it was a great way to incorporate the dominance and submission themes of the Erotica album and Girlie Show, into a song that has absolutely nothing to do with either.

The Drowned World Tour performance mashed-up with Stardust was so effortlessly cool, but it lacked the scale of the 2 previous tours, with all the dancers on the stage together. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, because it fit the tour really well, and there was something very special about seeing M flanked by Nicki and Donna again, which showed how much she (and her audience) had matured and grown over the years.

Re-Invention might've been my second least favourite when I first saw it, only because it's so different and takes a while before the melody kicks in, but... in a way that's what makes it so cool! It builds, and builds, and builds, until it explodes into the song we all know and love! I just wish it were longer.

The Sticky & Sweet Celebration performance has so much energy, but it was extremely poignant too. I remember seeing both shows at the O2 London where MJ would have performed his final This Is It concert series. It was heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time, and a genuine moment where everyone in the arena applauded. As a fan of both, I felt so sad to think I would never see MJ perform again, but at the same time, so grateful and happy to have Madonna still around.

Which leaves Rebel Heart (& Tears of a Clown). I don't dislike the Rebel Heart performance but there isn't anything about it that particularly sticks in my mind. The flags around the world had already been done in Reinvention and the arrangement is basically the same as the first album with a couple of breakdowns added. I always find it odd when people walk out of concerts before the final song because they're so desperate to beat the traffic, but in this instance I honestly wouldn't have cared if I'd missed it. In fact I'll go so far as saying I would've preferred to end the show with the original Avicii uptempo mix of Rebel Heart, although I appreciate that wouldn't have been as a good a crowd-pleaser! 

All that said, I think the evolution of Holiday is a brilliant example of what make Madonna so special and unique as a performer. To evolve a song in so many ways is the very reason why she's remained so interesting to me over the years. Most veteran performers have a tick-list of songs on their set-lists, so you know exactly what you're getting, but Madonna doesn't want to just repeat herself, and I love the ways she's re-invented her back catalogue over each tour, particularly in the latter part of her career. It doesn't always work to everyone's satisfaction, but it always keeps things interesting.

Great question!

Excellent commentary of each performance. Thank you!! And you are right how her Holiday performances speak on her revolution. I never thought of them in that way before. Excellent. Now I think I will go watch them all again! Thank you! 

My favorite performance to date is the Girlie Show

I love everything about it : the new arrangement wich was so unpredictible and funny

the staging & choreography & the costumes

the vocals mains & harmonies and the interaction with the audience

Then it's a tie between the WTG & BAT

And my least favorite is the RIT because the arrangement feels so syncopated , not seemless like pieces of music put together with no connection with each other