#JusticeForBedtimeStories: #1 on iTunes USA!

lucasciccone

3 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

She gave an interview last year to Harry Smith where he asked her what the measure for success was for this record. She said she wanted a handful of people to understand her messages behind the songs and be inspired by them, knowing Madame X is not for everyone, neither is it background music. In that sense I believe she did achieve success. I mean she gave great messages with songs like I Rise, God Control, Killers etc. and quite a few reviewers and fans were happy to hear what she had to say. It's not quite the commercial record so half a million copies is decent. But I don't think she found justice by non fans and most fans never quite understood the production and the way the record was executed. It would be nice if at least the latter were to be achieved at some point. It's a futuristic record and she herself has said that she loves making robotic sounds that hold something humanly emotional in them. Maybe those robots are us that never pause to actually enjoy the simplicity of life. So yeah, Madame X I think deserved better justice amongst fans, as many dismiss it along with the rest of her latest work. It's her first not rushed record in forever, she meant everything she did in it and people should embrace it for exactly what it is.

Yes! I stan this post so much! Madame X is such a great piece of work. It’s EASILY one of her best records. The production is INSANELY great and unique. I cannot get enough of it. I listen to it literally almost everyday since release. Still sounds so fresh. It is truly a global futuristic pop album, the first of its kind! 

Madame X is greatly misunderstood in the fandom and even more so by the public. I wish people were more inclined to pay attention to what music is saying than just put trash on in the background when they do things. Madame X is something that needs to be listened to and examined. And it’s a treasure room when you take the time to do that! 

“O mundo é selvagem. O caminho é solitário”

Edited by Shoful (see edit history)

12 hours ago, drivebitch said:

Well iTunes isn't really a thing anymore. Apple doesn't even promote it anymore as they decided two years ago to move away from that platform and heavily promote and invest in Apple Music. In fact, they overhauled Apple phones so that Apple Music is on page one of everyone's phone and iTunes is not only listed with a name, it's stuck on the second page. I wouldn't be surprised if they one day drop it all together. It seems the industry has accepted that streaming is the future. 

Why do we have to have only one format of music?

The quality of files on streaming services sucks. There has always been cassettes. cd, vinyl, digital. Why cant we have more than one format to choose from? Id rather OWN my music.

Besides, I think streaming is a fad.

7 minutes ago, Shoful said:

Yes! I stan this post so much! Madame X is such a great piece of work. It’s EASILY one of her best records. The production is INSANELY great and unique. I cannot get enough of it. I listen to it literally almost everyday since release. Still sounds so fresh. It is truly a global futuristic pop album, the first of its kind! 

Madame X is greatly misunderstood in the fandom and even more so by the public. I wish people were more inclined to pay attention to what music is saying than just put trash on in the background when they do things. Madame X is something that needs to be listened to and examined. And it’s a treasure room when you take the time to do that! 

“O mundo é selvagem. O caminho é solitário”

You cant just put on Madame X in the background. You need to sit and pay attention to it.

There is a cool genius behind most of the tracks. It's left-of-center for a "pop" record and it sounds nothing like anything else out there. It's a challenging listen, but worth every note.

2 minutes ago, PaperFaces said:

You cant just put on Madame X in the background. You need to sit and pay attention to it.

There is a cool genius behind most of the tracks. It's left-of-center for a "pop" record and it sounds nothing like anything else out there. It's a challenging listen, but worth every note.

Isn’t that what I just said? :Madonna021:

9 hours ago, PaperFaces said:

Why do we have to have only one format of music?

The quality of files on streaming services sucks. There has always been cassettes. cd, vinyl, digital. Why cant we have more than one format to choose from? Id rather OWN my music.

Besides, I think streaming is a fad.

It's not a fad. There's no going back. Of course you can get lossless files and CD quality from platforms like Tidal. There are fewer and fewer music stores and people listen to music through their devices. Physical media is a novelty now, sad but true. Thankfully, artists know that in order to sell physical media you have to add an incentive like with box sets that contain items that can't be downloaded. 

I think the reason behind this oddity has something to do with what the album title implies during this unsettling climate we're in. It's sort of a "show your loyalty" gesture to humble the artist. But I don't think this is going anywhere in the end. One can hope that she would see this as an inspiration to make another album "like"  Bedtime Stories, but I highly doubt that.

However, its good to see fans getting together putting a classic album into the spotlight, digitally. Bedtime Stories is one of my Top 3 Madonna albums. :)

Edited by Piksel8 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

She gave an interview last year to Harry Smith where he asked her what the measure for success was for this record. She said she wanted a handful of people to understand her messages behind the songs and be inspired by them, knowing Madame X is not for everyone, neither is it background music. In that sense I believe she did achieve success. I mean she gave great messages with songs like I Rise, God Control, Killers etc. and quite a few reviewers and fans were happy to hear what she had to say. It's not quite the commercial record so half a million copies is decent. But I don't think she found justice by non fans and most fans never quite understood the production and the way the record was executed. It would be nice if at least the latter were to be achieved at some point. It's a futuristic record and she herself has said that she loves making robotic sounds that hold something humanly emotional in them. Maybe those robots are us that never pause to actually enjoy the simplicity of life. So yeah, Madame X I think deserved better justice amongst fans, as many dismiss it along with the rest of her latest work. It's her first not rushed record in forever, she meant everything she did in it and people should embrace it for exactly what it is.

the overall product as well as the so called 'message' reminds me of the wishy-washy statements of AL. Not very good, inspirational or revolutionary. 

2 hours ago, drivebitch said:

It's not a fad. There's no going back. Of course you can get lossless files and CD quality from platforms like Tidal. There are fewer and fewer music stores and people listen to music through their devices. Physical media is a novelty now, sad but true. Thankfully, artists know that in order to sell physical media you have to add an incentive like with box sets that contain items that can't be downloaded. 

I wasnt talking about physical media. Nor was I alluding we should "go back". Im saying streaming is of its time. If it evolves into something else, lets hope it means better quality and sound and more revenue for the artists. Someone who works for Spotify makes more money than the artists on Spotify, just because people feel like they are entitled to free music. It's like walking into a restaurant and what you owe is 50$, but only pay 20$ because that's what you feel it is worth. Most people would consider that stealing.

2 hours ago, into the erotico said:

the overall product as well as the so called 'message' reminds me of the wishy-washy statements of AL. Not very good, inspirational or revolutionary. 

Then let's just say you were not in the handful she was talking about. American Life has become quite the fan favourite to not be good as an overall product at least. Whether Madame X is good and inspirational maybe we'll know after 10-15 years but perhaps you can help me and remind me if you know of any political album by a woman that has been lauded. I can think of Lemonade but it wasn't political through and through and I believe people understood its concept of the heartbreak and the cheating husband better. So ask yourself if Madonna as a white woman could ever touch politics and society matters in a way that would ever please you. If yes I'd like to hear how. If not, maybe you were just ready to dislike those two albums regardless.

9 hours ago, into the erotico said:

Maybe it's time to go back and question your understanding of the album if you find the statements wishy-washy. Personally I have never heard a clearer manifesto in Madonna's career, nor has her music ever been so personal. There is a great deal of political, philosophical and spiritual depth to Madame X, but the talking points simply don't align with the corporate capitalist agenda of the mainstream media. She could never have done traditional promotion for such a body of work; It would have been far too controversial and polarizing to actually break down for the GP. It all comes down to contextualizing things in terms of the bigger picture; how the world is evolving on a macro level. I think you'd have to get deep into quantum thinking to know what the purpose of her message is. Madame X is Madonna at her most complex, but I also understand that anyone hoping for a more intimate, romantic take on Madonna's life via her music probably found the album deeply disappointing, and perhaps even disturbing.

13 hours ago, into the erotico said:

Madame X and American Life are both stand out records when you compare them to almost anything else, produced by anyone else in recent time.  I do not find anything on American Life or Madame X to be "wishy washy".   Some of the deepest music in all of Madonna's catalog can be found within those efforts.  Between the two works, the 29 songs are mostly brilliant , rebellious  and yes revolutionary.  Considering her "Queen of Pop" status, Madonna releasing songs with deep socio-political messages is quite revolutionary. For example, using historical instruments fashioned from slave shackles, brings a whole new level to pop art.  Even the American Life rap is spectacular when it is viewed as a commentary on social media.  The rap literally could be pulled from random, inane tweets.  My point is that the deepness of the two records is not merely lyrical but a combination of lyrics, instrumentation, stylistic effects and hidden secrets.  Much like a spy, there are coded messages that you must research.  Madame X and American Life both elevate her message of social discourse and educate and prep a new class of rebel hearts in a world where most would rather talk about her but implants or grills.   Madonna has turned her focus from herself to much more and both albums inspire me and make want to "trip the station".  I love these two records and I could not disagree with your assessment more.  I would take these two records over nearly any record in the 21st century.  

On 5/1/2020 at 2:47 AM, cyberrage said:

Have any stars released music or videos from the vaults to help fans get through a pandemic? Seems a perfect time to sell digital content

JoJo just released 2 music videos she filmed at her house during the pandemic. Both have been edited beautifully too.

I personally think the "justice for" thing is cool. BS is worthy of a number 1. And even though some albums that didn't get to be number 1 back then, the artists are probably grateful that we even bought the album AGAIN enough for it to chart that high during this age. 

On 5/7/2020 at 8:22 PM, Sultrysully said:

Madame X and American Life are both stand out records when you compare them to almost anything else, produced by anyone else in recent time.  I do not find anything on American Life or Madame X to be "wishy washy".   Some of the deepest music in all of Madonna's catalog can be found within those efforts.  Between the two works, the 29 songs are mostly brilliant , rebellious  and yes revolutionary.  Considering her "Queen of Pop" status, Madonna releasing songs with deep socio-political messages is quite revolutionary. For example, using historical instruments fashioned from slave shackles, brings a whole new level to pop art.  Even the American Life rap is spectacular when it is viewed as a commentary on social media.  The rap literally could be pulled from random, inane tweets.  My point is that the deepness of the two records is not merely lyrical but a combination of lyrics, instrumentation, stylistic effects and hidden secrets.  Much like a spy, there are coded messages that you must research.  Madame X and American Life both elevate her message of social discourse and educate and prep a new class of rebel hearts in a world where most would rather talk about her but implants or grills.   Madonna has turned her focus from herself to much more and both albums inspire me and make want to "trip the station".  I love these two records and I could not disagree with your assessment more.  I would take these two records over nearly any record in the 21st century.  

My hatred of American Life is well-known. American Life is my "hydrangeas". lol "Madame X" isn't bad, just not memorable.  It must be difficult to get new inspiration or do something different when you've done just about everything under the sun. The music scene is pretty dire right now. Most of Madonna's work is of the moment, even if it's underground. She's like a cultural sponge. When pop culture is lacking in originality, I know Madonna's output is probably going to reflect that. Her not having a record or touring contract is probably the best thing for her and I hope she doesn't get locked into another ridiculous deal. She can cut an album or put on a live show when she's inspired to do so. 

18 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Let’s not forget that her debut album never hit number 1 ? Maybe it’s time to revive that ? plus I would love to see Erotica number 1 too ?

Erotica is arguably her most personal, rawest, and most ambitious album and era to date. Truly iconic. 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, Blue Prince said:

Then let's just say you were not in the handful she was talking about. American Life has become quite the fan favourite to not be good as an overall product at least. Whether Madame X is good and inspirational maybe we'll know after 10-15 years but perhaps you can help me and remind me if you know of any political album by a woman that has been lauded. I can think of Lemonade but it wasn't political through and through and I believe people understood its concept of the heartbreak and the cheating husband better. So ask yourself if Madonna as a white woman could ever touch politics and society matters in a way that would ever please you. If yes I'd like to hear how. If not, maybe you were just ready to dislike those two albums regardless.

American Life is hardly a political album. It's more of a finger-wagging album. The lyrics are unbelievably bad.  Rhyming "sky","shy" "guy" "night" "light"... "my father had to go to work I used to think he was a jerk." "Hollywood" with "neighborhood" and "looks so good". It's like Dr. Seuss. lol. It sounded like a Kabbalah Centre indoctrination album and came off as Madonna playing a role, not herself. It was the worst of dull Guy Ritchie British housewife era, imho. I call American Life Esther's album. 2010s Madonna seemed more like the Madonna we used to know... just not with the great musical output. 

5 hours ago, drivebitch said:

American Life is hardly a political album. It's more of a finger-wagging album. The lyrics are unbelievably bad.  Rhyming "sky","shy" "guy" "night" "light"... "my father had to go to work I used to think he was a jerk." "Hollywood" with "neighborhood" and "looks so good". It's like Dr. Seuss. lol. It sounded like a Kabbalah Centre indoctrination album and came off as Madonna playing a role, not herself. It was the worst of dull Guy Ritchie British housewife era, imho. I call American Life Esther's album. 2010s Madonna seemed more like the Madonna we used to know... just not with the great musical output. 

Agree with some of the things you said. I generally believe you shouldn't be listening to Madonna if you are to take everything seriously and you can't accept her taking on roles and mocking the idea of things. And you can't just explain her bad lyrics with a couple rhymes. Erotica has the 'truck'/'f*ck' line that could make you cringe, Deeper and Deeper's entire chorus is based in a rhyme of deeper with sweeter, even Like A Prayer just rhymes prayer with there. Who can possibly deny her precious melodies that uncover such vulnerability in Nothing Fails, Intervention, X-Static Process, Mother and Father etc. and just notice her rhymes? Who could possibly think she recorded those two rap parts and thought she's the next Eminem or Missy Elliott? Many of her misunderstood records are getting widely accepted now, MDNA still hasn't and probably won't but American Life has, could that show it was just ahead of what everyone expected of her and an act of defiance people couldn't fathom for years? I'd just advise you to stop staring at the little trees of the forest. They are indeed not the best, one by one, but the way she has put them together is what makes AL special. I discovered Madonna way later in her career so there is no such thing as the Madonna I used to know. Which is freeing and maybe I can accept of her many musical ventures that many dedicated fans won't and are not necessarily good. All I know is that reaching back to get to know her, American Life as much as Erotica didn't disappoint me. If any records did they'd be Like A Virign, Bedtime Stories, Music, all with perfect tracks of course. But thinking about it, they all lack the spirit of AL and just conformed in a sense.

On 5/11/2020 at 5:48 PM, drivebitch said:

When they're juvenile and make up most of the songwriting. When you compare Madonna's lyricism on AL to her other works it's laughably bad. 

some of the most popular and loved songs in history are quite simple and made up of simple rhymes.  like the earlier poster pointed out, this is subjective to the listener. some of Madonna's most popular songs had simple words and rhymes.  

• Enrico unfeatured this topic