thegoldencalf

Video Versions Audio 1983-1989

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic and I decided to compile a definitive guide. Please point out any inconsistencies.

Everybody (6:02)
- Unedited album version

Burning Up (3:48)
- CD album version 

Borderline (3:58)
- Official Edit
- Released on 7” and CD Single Collection

Lucky Star (3:56)
- 7” Edit
- Released on The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc.

Lucky Star (Remix Video) (5:04)
- Unique edit of the Extended Remix.
- Released on Madonna VHS and Laserdisc and The Immaculate Collection DVD.

Like A Virgin (Alternate Edit) (3.49) (the infamous lion tongue scene is missing and few other alternate shots)
- Album version.
- Added B-Roll of city noise and foghorn
- Released on Madonna VHS.

Like A Virgin (Main Edit) (3.49) (includes the lion tongue scene)
- Album version.
- Released on Madonna Laserdisc and The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc.
- The Immaculate Collection DVD dubs the audio with a unique mix between TIC Remix and the album version.

Material Girl (4:43)
- Album Version with extended ending
- Added B-Roll of dialogue in the beginning

Angel (2:26)
- Unique short edit of the Album Version
- The montage video features some shots from the Alternate Edit of Like A Virgin

Dress You Up (4:40)
- Live Version from the Virgin Tour Video
- An alternate version exists with a unique 1 Minute intro (initially to be used as the opening for the Tour Video but was replaced by the “I went to New York” intro)

Into The Groove (3:50)
- Unique Edit of the official Single Version
- Added B-Roll of dialogue and soundtrack music in the beginning 

Crazy For You (3:56)
- Album Version
- Added B-Roll of alarm clock in the beginning 

Gambler (3:44)
- Unique Edit of Album Version

Live To Tell (4:34)
- Official Album Edit

Papa Don't Preach (5:06)
- Album Version with extended instrumental  outro

True Blue (4:03)
- Official Album Edit (Fade)

Open Your Heart (4:27)
- Album Version with added new intro
- A couple alternative versions were used. One is the same video but in black and white and another cuts at 4:04 to scenes from an unknown movie

La Isla Bonita (4:00)
- Album Version

Who's That Girl (3:41)
- Album Version

Like A Prayer (5:37)
- Album Version
- Added B-Roll of police sirens in the beginning and the sound of gates closing at 4:40
- The Immaculate Collection DVD dubs the audio with a unique mix between 7" Version and the Album Version.

Express Yourself (MTV Version) (4:26)
- Unique Mix that uses the Local Mix intro and at 00:16 cuts into the 7" Remix and then at 4:18 cuts back to Local Mix
- Released exclusively on The Immaculate Collection DVD, Laserdisc and VHS

Express Yourself (Main Version) (4:59)
- Unique Mix that uses the Local Mix intro (with added echo on "Do You Believe In Love") and at 00:16 cuts into the Non Stop Express Remix Edit

Cherish (4:33)
- Unique Edit of the Album Version
- Added B-Roll of waves crashing in the beginning and extended silence at the end

Oh Father (4:53)
- Mixed Album Version

Dear Jessie (4:35)
- Mixed Album Version
- Added B-Roll of a 15 seconds silent intro showing the song title and then Jessie asleep (often edited out)

32 minutes ago, deathproof said:

what do you mean by “Mixed Album Version?”

I think he is refering to "Dear Jessie" and "Oh, Father", the end of "Dear Jessie" is mixed with the beginning of "Oh, Father" on the "Like A Prayer" album. For the videos, Warner didn't use the "unmixed" versions.

1 minute ago, Aiwa08 said:

I think he is refering to "Dear Jessie" and "Oh, Father", the end of "Dear Jessie" is mixed with the beginning of "Oh, Father" on the "Like A Prayer" album. For the videos, Warner didn't use the "unmixed" versions.

Ahhhh gotcha. For some reason it wasn’t clicking at first. Thank you! 👍

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

This is amazing! I wasn’t aware that some of the videos on the Immaculate DVD used a unique blend of album + remix!

what do you mean by “Added B-Roll?”

And “Mixed Album Version?”

By B-Roll I mean additional footage or sound effects added onto the main track

2 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Please point out any inconsistencies.

- 7" Edit
- Added B-Roll of waves crashing in the beginning and extended silence at the end

The video don't use the 7'' edit. It's an unique edit of the album version.

I have always wondered about Lucky Star. The video was originally produced for the UK market, while the US got Borderline. However it had its premiere on an MTV show which I think was called IRA Records Presents or something. It was on once a month on Saturdays (I think) and featured new and upcoming artists. It debuted Mar 24, 1984 and then I think was first seen in the UK on Mar 29, 1984. Though not certain on that.

MTV really didn't put it in rotation until around May but very briefly, I think because Borderline had the 12" new mix of Lucky Star on it, then it went into full rotation around Jul/Aug. 

I wonder if the video versions changed in between that time?

ETA: Just checked it was called I.R.S Records Present - The Cutting Edge

I hate to get too off topic, but I thought the 3:45 mix of "Burning Up" was the Jellybean remix. That's why, like Lucky Star, the multitracks that leaked years ago are missing some guitars parts that were heard on the album. The guitar parts presumably played by Paul Pesco, who's credited with guitars on those two songs in the liner notes. 

Did this topic get covered already in another thread?

1 minute ago, clkelley39 said:

I hate to get too off topic, but I thought the 3:45 mix of "Burning Up" was the Jellybean remix. That's why, like Lucky Star, the multitracks that leaked years ago are missing some guitars parts that were heard on the album. The guitar parts presumably played by Paul Pesco, who's credited with guitars on those two songs in the liner notes. 

Did this topic get covered already in another thread?

The Jellybean mix is the longer one that’s around 4:45 ish

3 minutes ago, Angelo said:

I think the edit version of lucky Star is present also in celebration video collection 

I didn’t include celebration here because they tampered with the audios for several tracks. The audio on celebration is a new edit, pretty different from the 7”

25 minutes ago, me1981 said:

I have always wondered about Lucky Star. The video was originally produced for the UK market, while the US got Borderline. However it had its premiere on an MTV show which I think was called IRA Records Presents or something. It was on once a month on Sundays and featured new and upcoming artists. It debuted Mar 25, 1984 and then I think was first seen in the UK on Mar 29, 1984. Though not certain on that.

MTV really didn't put it in rotation until around May but very briefly, I think because Borderline had the 12" new mix of Lucky Star on it, then it went into full rotation around Jul/Aug. 

I wonder if the video versions changed in between that time?

ETA: Just checked it was called I.R.S Records Present - The Cutting Edge

Interesting. I have made a dedicated thread for the LS videos since it’s so confusing.

so you’re saying that the video was made for UK but debuted in March in US but then it was not played for a few months?

It’s so weird that there’s 2 videos but nobody knows exactly why

7 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Interesting. I have made a dedicated thread for the LS videos since it’s so confusing.

so you’re saying that the video was made for UK but debuted in March in US but then it was not played for a few months?

It’s so weird that there’s 2 videos but nobody knows exactly why

Yeah UK got Lucky Star as a release and US got Borderline. Borderline was supposed to be the end of the MADONNA era in the US, she finished work on LAV in May 84 and was hoping it would be released by June. But Borderline just kept chugging away.

I am guessing Lucky Star 12" new mix (on the B-side of Borderline 12") was getting decent club play and Madonna was gaining momentum, so MTV played the Lucky Star video briefly in May when Borderline was heading up the charts. But it was in minor rotation for about 2 weeks. In effect MTV played the video as if it were a B-Side

After Borderline did so well, and with MTV returning Lucky Star to rotation in July, it seems WB/Sire decided they could milk one last single from the album. I also heard Madonna was being sued around that time and an Exec told her to release Lucky Star and make some quick and easy money.

Honestly not sure why it debuted on MTV first. The Cutting Edge was an indie show on MTV and featured a lot of unknown and upcoming artists. So they probably approached Madonna's team with the request to screen it. Unsure if she was interviewed on the show or not. Was probably just Madonna taking advantage of free publicity in a time when she really needed it

12 minutes ago, me1981 said:

Yeah UK got Lucky Star as a release and US got Borderline. Borderline was supposed to be the end of the MADONNA era in the US, she finished work on LAV in May 84 and was hoping it would be released by June. But Borderline just kept chugging away.

I am guessing Lucky Star 12" new mix (on the B-side of Borderline 12") was getting decent club play and Madonna was gaining momentum, so MTV played the Lucky Star video briefly in May when Borderline was heading up the charts. But it was in minor rotation for about 2 weeks. In effect MTV played the video as if it were a B-Side

After Borderline did so well, and with MTV returning Lucky Star to rotation in July, it seems WB/Sire decided they could milk one last single from the album. I also heard Madonna was being sued around that time and an Exec told her to release Lucky Star and make some quick and easy money.

Honestly not sure why it debuted on MTV first. The Cutting Edge was an indie show on MTV and featured a lot of unknown and upcoming artists. So they probably approached Madonna's team with the request to screen it. Unsure if she was interviewed on the show or not. Was probably just Madonna taking advantage of free publicity in a time when she really needed it

I also remembered I read somewhere or saw in some documentary that Freddy pushed heavily for her to perform Lucky Star (which was referred to as “her current single”) at the VMAs but she refused.

And I was wondering if that’s true since LS was a UK release and MTV was for the US market

1 minute ago, thegoldencalf said:

I also remembered I read somewhere or saw in some documentary that Freddy pushed heavily for her to perform Lucky Star (which was referred to as “her current single”) at the VMAs but she refused.

And I was wondering if that’s true since LS was a UK release and MTV was for the US market

Would assume it is true, Lucky Star was released in the US either late August or early September. Just in time for the MTV Awards, and it was her most recent video on MTV. MTV put the song in rotation before the single got an official release and it seems at least partially influenced WB/Sire to release it. They may have also asked for a new mix for the video, hence the two different versions

She apparently had zero interest in the song and didn't even want to release it (from what I have heard) She was itching to get her new stuff out there.

Slightly off topic but back in those days MTV used to air certain parts of their programming in syndication. The MTV Awards were live on that channel, but most didn't see her performance until roughly two weeks later when the MTV Awards were broadcast in syndication. This would explain why Rosanna Arquette stated the first two weeks of shooting DSS were relatively quiet and then BOOM, lol. 

54 minutes ago, me1981 said:

Would assume it is true, Lucky Star was released in the US either late August or early September. Just in time for the MTV Awards, and it was her most recent video on MTV. MTV put the song in rotation before the single got an official release and it seems at least partially influenced WB/Sire to release it. They may have also asked for a new mix for the video, hence the two different versions

She apparently had zero interest in the song and didn't even want to release it (from what I have heard) She was itching to get her new stuff out there.

Slightly off topic but back in those days MTV used to air certain parts of their programming in syndication. The MTV Awards were live on that channel, but most didn't see her performance until roughly two weeks later when the MTV Awards were broadcast in syndication. This would explain why Rosanna Arquette stated the first two weeks of shooting DSS were relatively quiet and then BOOM, lol. 

Watching the 2 videos it’s interesting to observe the power of great editing. Even though it’s one simple look on a white backdrop the main video is simply iconic especially the silent beginning in b&w while the Remix Video is kind of messy and forgettable 

25 minutes ago, deathproof said:

As far as i know, Lucky Star was filmed first, but it was decided to put Borderline out first.

And wasn't Lucky suppose to be the official third single? But Holiday took off in the clubs, and the label had to switch gears and rush out Holiday.

It seems Lucky Star was filmed just after she returned from London in late Jan and Borderline a couple weeks later, near Valentines Day. So yeah LS was done first.

Not sure about LS/Holiday. when the promo double A-Side 12" went to No.1 on the dance charts, I assumed it was always a toss up as to which one they thought had cross over appeal as it seemed Sire was really hoping for Hot 100 chart success. Lucky Star had seen a release in the UK September 19, 1983 (approx) and flopped big time, so maybe that also influenced the decision. Not sure

The interesting thing is the Burning Up video was just hitting MTV (in minor rotation) as Holiday was released, and of course we never got a video for Holiday (other than various tv performances)

1 minute ago, me1981 said:

It seems Lucky Star was filmed just after she returned from London in late Jan and Borderline a couple weeks later, near Valentines Day. So yeah LS was done first.

Not sure about LS/Holiday. when the promo double A-Side 12" went to No.1 on the dance charts, I assumed it was always a toss up as to which one they thought had cross over appeal as it seemed Sire was really hoping for Hot 100 chart success. Lucky Star had seen a release in the UK September 19, 1983 (approx) and flopped big time, so maybe that also influenced the decision. Not sure

The interesting thing is the Burning Up video was just hitting MTV (in minor rotation) as Holiday was released, and of course we never got a video for Holiday (other than various tv performances)

I think what played into the fact of Holiday never having an official video was because it was rushed release.

Just now, deathproof said:

I think what played into the fact of Holiday never having an official video was because it was rushed release.

I'd also suggest they spent their budget on Burning Up too. Madonna didn't have the support of WB execs like she would the following year. Michael Rosenblatt had to take Madonna to LA to try to drum up $10K to finish her first album in Feb/Mar 83 and it seems WB execs in NY hated or had no interest in her back then. 

On 4/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, thegoldencalf said:

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic and I decided to compile a definitive guide. Please point out any inconsistencies.

Everybody (6:02)
- Unedited album version

Burning Up (3:48)
- CD album version 

Borderline (3:58)
- Official Edit
- Released on 7” and CD Single Collection

Lucky Star (3:56)
- 7” Edit
- Released on The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc.

Lucky Star (Remix Video) (5:04)
- Unique edit of the Extended Remix.
- Released on Madonna VHS and Laserdisc and The Immaculate Collection DVD.

Like A Virgin Alternate edit (the infamous lion tongue scene is missing and few other alternate shots) (3.49)
- Album version.
- Released on Madonna VHS.

Like A Virgin Main edit (includes the lion tongue scene) (3.49)
- Album version.
- Released on Madonna Laserdisc and The Immaculate Collection Laserdisc.
- The Immaculate Collection DVD dubs the audio with a unique mix between TIC Remix and the album version.

Material Girl (4:43)
- Album Version
- Added B-Roll of dialogue in the beginning and extended silence at the end

Angel (2:26)
- Unique short edit of the Album Version
- The montage video features some shots from the Alternate Edit of Like A Virgin

Dress You Up (4:40)
- Live Version from the Virgin Tour Video
- An alternate version exists with a unique 1 Minute intro (initially to be used as the opening for the Tour Video but was replaced by the “I went to New York” intro)

Into The Groove (3:50)
- Unique Edit of the official Single Version
- Added B-Roll of dialogue and soundtrack music in the beginning 

Crazy For You (3:56)
- Album Version
- Added B-Roll of alarm clock in the beginning 

Gambler (3:44)
- Unique Edit of Album Version

Live To Tell (4:34)
- Official Album Edit

Papa Don't Preach (5:06)
- Unique Edit of the Album Version with extended outro

True Blue (4:03)
- Official Album Edit (Fade)

Open Your Heart (4:27)
- Unique Edit of the Album Version with added new intro
- A couple alternative versions were used. One is the same video but in black and white and another cuts at 4:04 to scenes from an unknown movie

La Isla Bonita (4:00)
- Album Version

Who's That Girl (3:41)
- Album Version

Like A Prayer (5:37)
- Album Version
- Added B-Roll of police sirens in the beginning and the sound of gates closing at 4:40
- The Immaculate Collection DVD dubs the audio with a unique mix between 7" Version and the Album Version.

Express Yourself MTV Version (4:26)
- Unique Mix that uses the Local Mix intro and at 00:16 cuts into the 7" Remix and then at 4:18 cuts back to Local Mix
- Released exclusively on The Immaculate Collection DVD, Laserdisc and VHS

Express Yourself Main Version (4:59)
- Unique Mix that uses the Local Mix intro (with added echo on "Do You Believe In Love") and at 00:16 cuts into the Non Stop Express Remix Edit

- Unique Edit of the Album Version

Oh Father (4:53)
- Mixed Album Version

Dear Jessie (4:35)
- Mixed Album Version
- Added B-Roll of a 15 seconds silent intro showing the song title and then Jessie asleep (often edited out)

Back when the "Celebration" DVD compilation was about to be released, I remember reading somewhere that it was the first time that the "Like A Prayer" (album version) video was released on DVD. For me it was a bit confusing because, at least here in Brazil, both the VHS and the DVD releases of "The Immaculate Collection" brought the original album version of this video. I just got to know about the US release when I bought the US DVD.

2 hours ago, michel.kettermann said:

Back when the "Celebration" DVD compilation was about to be released, I remember reading somewhere that it was the first time that the "Like A Prayer" (album version) video was released on DVD. For me it was a bit confusing because, at least here in Brazil, both the VHS and the DVD releases of "The Immaculate Collection" brought the original album version of this video. I just got to know about the US release when I bought the US DVD.

Can you share the Brazil DVD?