POLL: The Dick Tracy Or Evita Soundtrack?

Voguerista

From the Dick Tracy Or Evita Soundtrack, which did you like more?  

74 members voted

1. 1. From the Dick Tracy Or Evita Soundtrack, which did you like more?

50 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I meeeeeeeean, Vogue, Hanky Panky, More, Sooner or Later, and Back in Business demolishes anything Evita has got going for it. 

The Don't Cry for Me remix was FYRE tho. :fire:

Agreed but I don’t think hanky Panky is a good song - something to remember is class though ?

Firstly, I love I'm Breathless. STR is one of my all-time favourites and He's the Man - love it.

However, Evita is the album/songs that I return to more frequently. M is a powerhouse in Evita and on the soundtrack. The richness of her voice, the story, the parallels with her own career in terms of her relationship with the public - all of this feeds into its greatness.

Although it's not one of the main songs, this little ditty is often overlooked. It's lovely - but when this verse at 1.45 kicks in, I just adore everything about it:

And Vogue...? As legendary as that song is - at least all of the Evita songs were actually written for the soundtrack of the story/movie it is attached to.

:Madonna003:

1 hour ago, Kieran said:

And Vogue...? As legendary as that song is - at least all of the Evita songs were actually written for the soundtrack of the story/movie it is attached to.

:Madonna003:

Vogue is from the "Like A Prayer" era, written to be B-Side of "Keep It Together". Warner put the song on the "I'm Breathless" album to sold more but the song doesn't belong to "I'm Breathless". I've always waiting for a "Like A Prayer" remaster including "Vogue" as last track. 

5 hours ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

I hope that never happens cause it doesn't fit the album at all

What? Ok, maybe it doesn't fit in the regular album, but it fits perfectly in the "Like A Prayer" era if you include the "Like A Prayer" singles. Express Yourself (House Remix) and Vogue are almost twin sisters... It was written to be B-Side of "Keep It Together". Express Yourself (House Remix), Keep It Together (single remix), Vogue and Rescue Me have the same "sound". Like or not, Vogue doesn't belong to I'm Breathless and the song doesn't fit in that album. It's just a commercial move to sell more "I'm Breathless" albums thanks to Vogue.

7 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

What? Ok, maybe it doesn't fit in the regular album, but it fits perfectly in the "Like A Prayer" era if you include the "Like A Prayer" singles. Express Yourself (House Remix) and Vogue are almost twin sisters... It was written to be B-Side of "Keep It Together". Express Yourself (House Remix), Keep It Together (single remix), Vogue and Rescue Me have the same "sound". Like or not, Vogue doesn't belong to I'm Breathless and the song doesn't fit in that album. It's just a commercial move to sell more "I'm Breathless" albums thanks to Vogue.

But all those remixes aren't on the album. Vogue has nothing to do with Like a prayer either sonically or lyrically. I agree that it doesn't belong on I'm Breathless either 

"I'm Breathless", while not my favorite, becomes more and more interesting as the years go on. I can't really compare it to any other M release.  If anything, I think it deserved a better film to go with it! Love the visuals of DT, legendary cast, but that's it for me.

I think M's ballad version of DCFMA is the best version of that song. The way she starts off so delicate and how it builds. Everyone else just seems like they are yelling out of the gate when they sing it.  And "Eva's Final Broadcast"...whew. And I know it's not on the album, but the fact that she would give us one of her most camp masterpieces in the middle of being  "serious actress" with those Miami mixes...a legend.

They both were projects where it seems like she was so inspired and really pushed herself. 

2 hours ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

But all those remixes aren't on the album. Vogue has nothing to do with Like a prayer either sonically or lyrically. I agree that it doesn't belong on I'm Breathless either 

I always forget that I'm a fan who play her singles and remixes to enjoy her music. When an era is finished, I replace the original album with other changing the album versions with singles versions and remixes (if they are better than the album version). Her singles & remixes made me fan, not her albums.

well the DT soundtrack is this: 220px-Dick_Tracy_soundtrack.jpg

now, I'm Breathless, a studio album with music from and inspired by DT, then we're talking about Madonna :cute:

and about Evita, I love the 2CD version 220px-Evita_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack.pnover the 1CD one  evita-soundtrack-uk-eu-cd-album-1-12637-

For me, I love both but the jazzy fun different I'm Breathless wins imho

the actual Dick Tracy soundtrack is kinda ok :laughing::Madonna032:

41 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I always forget that I'm a fan who play her singles and remixes to enjoy her music. When an era is finished, I replace the original album with other changing the album versions with singles versions and remixes (if they are better than the album version). Her singles & remixes made me fan, not her albums.

I don't like changing her albums. I listen to them they way she released them, even if I would have done it differently :) I don't even know any remixes apart from the ones she used in live performances 

I'm Breathless since i despise Lloyd Webber and Rice. And Stephen Sondheim > those two.

I've never liked Evita, neither the movie nor the album and same for the musical. A musical glamourizing a dictatorship is completly bonkers. And in I'm Breathless she's at least fun and lively...

Edited by Roland Barthes (see edit history)