The Talk - Sharon Osbourne: Madonna Is 'a victim of her own ageism'

Voguerista

I think Sharon needs to worry on herself and not Madonna! Is Sharon not competitive?

The Talk - Sharon Osbourne: Madonna Is 'a victim of her own ageism'

Madonna recently got slammed for posting racy lingerie pics on social media, while other stars like Jennifer Lopez and Jennifer Aniston are praised for showing some skin. The hosts discuss if Madonna is a victim of ageism. "I think she's a victim of her own ageism," says Sharon Osbourne. "I think that she does have an amazing body. She always has had, you know, she's perfectly proportioned. She's got a great little body on her. And she's a gorgeous looking woman, always been on the edge of every fashion trend, and every musical trend. A great artist. But, you can see that likes to compete, so what all the other women are doing, she'll do it too. She's right there... but I think when you try too hard to be with everybody else, compete with everybody else, it can sometimes turn around and backfire on you. And, I think that's what's happening with her."

Guest Nobody Knows Me

She’s always talking nonsense :lol: Madonna was literally referred to as ‘grandma’ at the age of 34. She’s constantly targeted for her age. 

24 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

She’s always talking nonsense :lol: Madonna was literally referred to as ‘grandma’ at the age of 34. She’s constantly targeted for her age. 

I agree. It's sad how they always have to slam Madonna for every little thing. I sometimes think people like Sharon are jealous of her.

Is she referring to Madonna's recent "changes?" that seem very Kim K-esque? I mean obviously following those type of trends... If so I guess she's right. It did backfire on her. But she's not hurting anyone and I don't think people should be harsh on her for what she does with her own body and self. 

she's a sack of shit. She whored out her whole family for a penny and a place in the spotlight. They are all fucked up. She has been remade from head to toes and she's best friend with piece of shit Morgan and Elton John. That's where this comes from. What will be S.O's legacy ? Bringing TV reality to MTV and fucking up the whole channel.

Edited by Roland Barthes (see edit history)

I didnt see her post as "slagging " Madonna off - she said she was a great artist etc. Why is no-one allowed to have an opinion on the biggest selling female artist of all time - when you are celebrity you have to take the rough with the smooth thats why i would never want to be famous - i dont have a thick enough skin for it. I doubt Madonna would care much about this post but is she still going to be showing off her body at 90 ? Maybe - its her life at the end of the day. Although i do wish she would check her IG posts before sending them out - the more you post the more you will be criticised unfortunately.

Whilst we are talking about ageism and i know im going to get criticised for saying this but isnt Madonna a little ageist ? She only dates younger guys for a start ? why hasnt she had a relationship with someone born at least the same decade as her ?

feel free to rape my opinion - i dont care :)

My opinion is nobody ask Madonna about her age but all others now what she things???

One thing for sure, Madonna does what she wants not what other like her to do. Madonna as calm old Lady singing ABBA Covers ;-) No and i don't want her that way.

Sorry she do what she wants and if somebody don't like it, she gives a shit. People should praise her for the things she done.

Ageism begin at Radio Stations..notice that!

Because it's not the first time Sharon Osbourne goes after Madonna when she's not even in the news. What the fuck is Sharon Osbourne anyway ? She has a shit talk show that is a copy of The View where Dlisters give their two cents (most of the time negatively) about everything (the dumbest shows ever after TV Reality). She became famous because she inherited her father's management company and managed her husband then her children. On the other hand she's allowed to her opinion as much as Madonna is allowed to live her life the way she wants to live it. She does not owe anything to that woman....but at least Madonna gave her daughter a job (Material Girl) when she was no model material and she provided her with her only semi hit with her cover of "Papa don't preach". Madonna did more for Kelly's image than her own mother. Maybe that's why she has something against her.

I know we don't all live in the same reality, but anyone who is jumping on the opportunity to make this into something it is not via another knee-jerk dismissal is missing an opportunity here. Yes, this is a daytime television show of little merit, but then again most television is deceptive and shallow! We pick and choose based upon what reflects our own comfort zones. Outside of this, we still have to acknowledge that large amounts of people do watch these dreadful daytime talk show panels, and they form a lot of their own opinions from hearing the opinions delivered by the panel member they relate to the most. In Sharon's case, she has a deep knowing and understanding of the music business and the entertainment industry, and while I don't share her public values whatsoever, I respect her tenacity and ambition.

Now for the actual content highlighted here in this clip...She didn't criticize Madonna at all. She seemed informed, as if she had given it some genuine thought, and spoke quite eloquently and positively about Madonna. And I think what she points out is actually extremely interesting and worthy of debate. In fact, I think what Sharon Osbourne brings up is more in alignment with the notion that always gets in the way of feminist progress: Women simply do not majoritarily elevate other women! Competition between women is usually fierce and covert. I understand that Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman would have us all believe that there is a giant sisterhood of actresses, directors, producers, agents and managers who aspire to tell stories about other women that encourage solidarity and union, but this is, in my experience, strictly aspirational, and mostly self-serving. And yes, Madonna is as much a victim of female competitiveness as she is a perpetrator. Brava to Osbourne for bringing up a slightly more intelligent narrative regarding Madonna. She isn't exactly Wendy Williams after all!  

9 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I know we don't all live in the same reality, but anyone who is jumping on the opportunity to make this into something it is not via another knee-jerk dismissal is missing an opportunity here. Yes, this is a daytime television show of little merit, but then again most television is deceptive and shallow! We pick and choose based upon what reflects our own comfort zones. Outside of this, we still have to acknowledge that large amounts of people do watch these dreadful daytime talk show panels, and they form a lot of their own opinions from hearing the opinions delivered by the panel member they relate to the most. In Sharon's case, she has a deep knowing and understanding of the music business and the entertainment industry, and while I don't share her public values whatsoever, I respect her tenacity and ambition.

Now for the actual content highlighted here in this clip...She didn't criticize Madonna at all. She seemed informed, as if she had given it some genuine thought, and spoke quite eloquently and positively about Madonna. And I think what she points out is actually extremely interesting and worthy of debate. In fact, I think what Sharon Osbourne brings up is more in alignment with the notion that always gets in the way of feminist progress: Women simply do not majoritarily elevate other women! Competition between women is usually fierce and covert. I understand that Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman would have us all believe that there is a giant sisterhood of actresses, directors, producers, agents and managers who aspire to tell stories about other women that encourage solidarity and union, but this is, in my experience, strictly aspirational, and mostly self-serving. And yes, Madonna is as much a victim of female competitiveness as she is a perpetrator. Brava to Osbourne for bringing up a slightly more intelligent narrative regarding Madonna. She isn't exactly Wendy Williams after all!  

..'And yes, Madonna is as much a victim of female competitiveness as she is a perpetrator'...

35 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Exactly- I felt Sharon was more making an observation rather than a criticism which is entirely different

You may not agree with her but she didn't offended Madonna, on the contrary. Madonna is not a superior being that should not be analyzed and criticized, not everything is shade.
I do think Madonna have issues with getting old, when she said something along the lines "that's for old people" on one of her recent interviews, I really felt that she had a degree of ageism in herself (as we all do, let's face it). But I know it's not my place to judge and I can't feel what she feels about herself and how external judgement affects her, but I do wish she would do things in another way. Her "racy" instagram photos are just ugly and unflattering and that's not because of her age.

3 hours ago, Steffmad said:

One thing for sure, Madonna does what she wants not what other like her to do. Madonna as calm old Lady singing ABBA Covers ;-) No and i don't want her that way.

I wouldn't call this a "calm old lady":

1200px-CherO2201019-6_(48933060976)_crop

But I love how Cher does it with humour.

She looks glamourous without trying to look young and sexy, while Madonna with grillz and other... ehm... additions ends up being ridiculous.

14 hours ago, Enrico said:

She looks glamourous without trying to look young and sexy, while Madonna with grillz and other... ehm... additions ends up being ridiculous.

Thing is Cher has never been taken seriously as a recording artist. You had to live in the 80's and 90's to remember how she was mocked for dating younger men (including Tom Cruise). Thing is she embraced the ridicule that was thrown upon her and ran away with it. In the process she left the power she could have had. Older performers are being ridiculed when they reach a certain age. Look at Mariah Carey. An older woman can't be sexual. Why ? So if they tame the sexual aspect of their personality they are accepted because they submit to society's standards. For Madonna it's hard to be someone she is not. She's sexual, no matter what she does and from the get go, from before she was famous, That's part of who she is not a character she plays. When she did the SEX she was ridiculed too because Madonna never was sexy but sexual. Sexy is how record companies sells you to the masses. Madonna owns her sexuality. What she does today is not different from what she did in the 90's. She got acceptance when she complied with "Ray of light". Nothing sexual about it. Why society is threatened by women's sexuality is the real question here ? And why older women in entertainment are accepted as long as they accept to be ridiculed ?

Cher was saved by Hollywood because she 's a fucking good actress. She was saved by Twitter later because she's good at it. But musically, excuse me, to her own admission her discography is shit (even though Take me home is a bop and she hates it just like she hates Believe and that i understand), the worst of pop rock and dance has to offer. The Sonny & Cher records are the saving grace.

The ones who are putting Madonna down for her sexuality are the same ones (including fans who think they are not sheeps ans think they know better hence why they ahve such a brilliant career in show business themselves) who put her down for SEX. Years later this era is seen as pioneering. So don't miss the train or you'll hop on it in 20 years from now.

Maybe Madonna does it over the top, not very subtly but she never was subtle and when you want to kick a door down you don't ring or knock on it, you smash it. Yes grillz are off putting and some of the things she does as well but she has to be over the top so that the idea that lies beneath can find its way through that door.

Maybe too we should all reflect on what our personal differences are and not so much accepted by society's standards and understand that when someone is freeing herself from these silly standards she's freeing us all, not to emulate her the exact same way she does it but as widening the possibilities for each and everyone to live their lives on their own terms. She's not forcing anyone to be like her, she's just saying "don't be afraid to be your true self because life is short and one day you'll wake up feeling you have not lived your life the way you wanted it because you were scared of what others would have thought of you". I understand that the grillz may obturate the view so we can't see the big picture here but when you focus on them you are not trying to see the big picture either. The backlash she gets and critics re off putting to some fans because they feel like they are directed at them by association. They are not. She's willing to take them. If you are not maybe you should follow a safer popstar because she won't change, this is who she has always been. If the ride is sometimes rocky, most of the time it's fun and even better in retrospect because as we grow older and learn we finally get what she wanted to say and it makes sense, not only because we are more mature but also because society changes thanks to people who are not afraid to question standards and the limitations that are constantly thrown upon us.

Maybe Sharon Osbourne should free herself from her own inhibitions, she'll be less judgemental and agressive about everything but what would be left for her to say or do ? Because that's basically her whole "career".

Whenever something bothers me i try to understand why, what does it triggers in me ? When i'm mad at Sharon Osbourne it's not because of Madonna, she's like this with everybody...it's her constant agression that i find off putting, not very pro-active like she's the guardian of the temple of all inhibitions people should keep. When Madonna tells us to not be afraid, the constant criticism of sharon Osbourne and others are here to tell us to be afraid of people's judgement and acid tongues. Telling us in the end : "stay in your place". And these people usually don't follow the rules they press on others too. I'd rather grow old like Madonna, enjoying life than like S.O being bitter and angry.

And going back to Cher, if being a character helped her in movies and on social media, she should have tried to not be one on record because i've always felt that there's a great album this artist can finally make if she dropped the act. Why an older female artist must erase her sexuality in her work and life and accept to be kitsch ? Because it makes people feel safer ? Why people don't feel safe when a woman is sexual especially older female artists ? Mommy complex ? It bothers me more than in your face sexuality and saying that i hate all the sex songs on Rebel Heart because i think they are too much but i understand why she did them. The more we are going to tell her it's bad, the more Madonna will come up with something even more over the top because she'll just see a fence she needs to break down until everybody shut up. So pray society will evolve soon if you want another "Ray of light", do you part and don't put up fences before her.

I could only read the first line as i am too old to read all of the long posts but I disagree about the thing with Cher not being taken serious as a recording artist. That is opinion. The same can be said about Madonna if we want to discuss men she dated or hooked up with. As for my Mariah, she is frozen in time.

I grew up in the Eighties and maybe Italy was different, but songs like If I could turn back time and Shoop shoop song were everywhere, and praised. Of course the first one was "scandalous" at the time. Not to mention Believe, or Walking in Memphis or, in recent years, a stunning song like You've never seen the last of me.

It's true Cher says she is not a Cher fan, but being a talented actress and an incredible entertainer she has created an enduring legacy.

As for the sexy, you can call me ageist, but it's natural that 20-30 is sexier than 50-60. And I am almost 50! It's hard to be sexy at a certain age, but you can still look fabulous.

It's good that M is still fighting her social wars, but my impression is that she is losing. She is not kicking any door, she simply is being left outside. And what is scary is that she can't even convince many of us fans, who have been listening to her for three decades. The reason is not the cause itself, but probably that she is not good in communication. And she is not nice to people, that's at least the most common impression she gives. 

20 hours ago, Enrico said:

You lose your argument just based upon your insistence on seeing Cher and Madonna in even remotely related categories as human beings. Their one commonality is that they are both showgirls, but Madonna is a tireless freedom fighter. Cher is an entertainer from an entirely different era who has been a novelty act for at least three decades, if not five. And yes. I saw that she saved an elephant.

I have enjoyed Cher at times in my life (I Found Someone and Heart Of Stone were on heavy rotation when I was still a child), but nothing about her musicality, her performance standards and capabilities, her manifesto or her humanity is on par. Cher is Mae West. She's a holiday camp variety act. Look at this photo of her. Cher cannot do sex. She can wear it, but she can't be it. Ever. 

Madonna doesn't use her sexuality for anything at this point in her career. She has always exuded sex, and that will always be the case, but any intentionality has been political for quite some time, and not an actual reflection of sex. This type of cynicism is derivative and baseless. Madonna is functioning on a much higher level than some of her fans seem to realize. 

cher-1024x576.jpg