"Gaga's "Born This Way" vs Madonna's "Express Yourself"

Voguerista

What's cool is: we're posting in a forum where we're allowed to match up these two artists and songs. I would get a warning or banned at other forums for doing this. Anyway, which song is your favorite from Lady Gaga's "Born The Way" or Madonna's "Express Yourself? What about the VIDEOS too?

I love both songs, but, I give the edge to Madonna. As for comparing the videos, Madonna wins for me on this too. So sultry, old Hollywood, beautiful, and so classic Madonna. Lady Gaga has always looked sickly and unhealthy to me in the "Born This Way" video, but, I do love all the dancing in it. It really takes you on a trip as well.

Extra FYI: if you haven't listened to @Fighter's 2020 mashup of these two songs, be sure to do so here. It's a hottie IMO!

I think the entire Born This Way album is Gaga's Like A Prayer in a sense. Full of religious themes and with a rock sound. I can't be objective here because Born This Way song went on to become the lgbt anthem of my generation when I barely even knew Madonna. Now the two songs do sound quite similar, Express Yourself has better lyrics (Madonna has better lyrics, I think Gaga's weakest aspect of her entire career is the stupid lyrics she writes with her team) and well yeah EY video's so elegant, so on top of its game. But Born This Way has a sound more welcome to my ears whilst Express Yourself has always sounded rusty to me. Which is weird because Open Your Heart didn't and I have always thought it is a much better song than Express Yourself :thinker: As for your sickly comment, it's probably Gaga's aesthetic to look robotic and artificial and unhuman sometimes in her videos, Madonna prefers to do the same with her voice. And we have to accept that. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I prefer Express Yourself by a very long mile. I do love Gaga but Born This Way genuinely did feel reductive. 

Express Yourself, it sounds timeless and especially Shep's remixes and instantly iconic. The other one sounds so dated. Though, I do like both songs. That era was a complete nightmare having to deal with all the stan wars and infighting. Thankfully, it's past both women now.

I do love the mashups that have been made.

I like both artists and I’m probably the only person who doesn’t think BTW sounds like Express Yourself - I don’t like the song BTW very much but I like the video a lot - you have to Gaga credit for making great videos up until 2012- I just think she lost her edge since the Artpop era and the songs and videos got more reductive 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
5 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

I like both artists and I’m probably the only person who doesn’t think BTW sounds like Express Yourself - I don’t like the song BTW very much but I like the video a lot - you have to Gaga credit for making great videos up until 2012- I just think she lost her edge since the Artpop era and the songs and videos got more reductive 

Yeah, “Stupid Love” was nothing new for her. :ay:

Obviously Express Yourself. 

You know, when I first heard BTW I immediately loved it. Because they WERE so similar. And when I heard the first mashup like 4 hours after BTW was released I DIED. My two fav songs mashed into one amazing perfect combo. 

It’s interesting though, how “dated” BTW feels now for some reason. Don’t ask me why I don’t know lol. I absolutely LOVE all of the added stuff in the live versions she performs - so that kind of brought it back to life for me.

I love both as well. If you asked me in 2012 I would have said Born this Way as it sounded like Express Yourself got upgraded to the present. Now, I prefer Express Yourself musically and lyrically. 

Video ... I mean I looooooooove Gaga's choreo... she's always got great dances, where as Madonnas are more "modern dance". I don't know dance terms that well. I think Madonna even brought this up before as she was bored of a performer standing in front of a group of dancers all doing the same thing. While I do agree somewhat, I think its also what the kids like to see. I can't choose between the videos. 

I've been a lifelong M stan. And also worked with the Haus of Gaga around this time. I didn't hear the similarities until the mashup that came a few hours later from DJ Tripp.

IMO, the "BTW" album always sounded like LG doing a "Greatest Hits" album of 80's/90's tracks. Whitney. Pat Benatar. The Cure. Billy Idol. New Order. KMFDM. La Bouche. Etc. They are all there.

I still think if her response had been "Of course, it's inspired by Madonna and all the greats I grew up listening to..." instead of calling the comparison "retarded" and reaching for her Marilyn Momroe lighter....that might have helped.

In a perfect world, they would have collaborated when they did SNL.  There was a ton of overlap in the M/LG fanbases prior to the feud. For me, LG was doing a lot of things I wanted from M. This might be dramatic, but I believe this feud did the most damage to M and turned off a lot of young potential fans.

If I was LG, I would forever feel like the baddest bitch. My idol, the greatest living pop star, on tour, shading me every night? And then I show up to her party with my Oscar?!?! Mary.....