When was Angel released to radio?

Blue Jean

27 minutes ago, Strays Of The World said:

It said it was released on April 10th,1985 and Into The Groove was its B-side along with Burning Up according to Wikipedia. But take that with a grain of salt since Wiki tends to heavily edit info.

That’s the release date of the physical single though. I’m looking for the radio release date of both Angel and ITG which must have been quite a bit sooner.

2 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

That’s the release date of the physical single though. I’m looking for the radio release date of both Angel and ITG which must have been quite a bit sooner.

Into the Groove was played as early as March. Once the video hit MTV, radio DJ's copied the audio from the video and played it. This is why WB released it on the 12" b-side. They had no intention of ever releasing it. 

Angel, I am not too sure of. I have R&R magazine. Will see when they listed as added to radio. 

ETA: Looks like it was added on the weekend of April 12 - 14. Makes sense, if the single was released Apr 10, usually back then singles were not played until the single was released, usually that weekend.  I think record companies changed this more in the 90's when radio play would preceed a single. Though it did also happen in the 80's. Just seems to be more common that it coincided with the single release.

I do remember reading a newspaper article about WB getting angry when some radio stations played Like a Prayer a day prior to the single release and a couple days prior to when they were allowed.

Also I am pretty sure the 12" was released a few weeks after the 7" of Angel. Like maybe two weeks after.

7 hours ago, me1981 said:

Into the Groove was played as early as March. Once the video hit MTV, radio DJ's copied the audio from the video and played it. This is why WB released it on the 12" b-side. They had no intention of ever releasing it. 

Angel, I am not too sure of. I have R&R magazine. Will see when they listed as added to radio. 

ETA: Looks like it was added on the weekend of April 12 - 14. Makes sense, if the single was released Apr 10, usually back then singles were not played until the single was released, usually that weekend.  I think record companies changed this more in the 90's when radio play would preceed a single. Though it did also happen in the 80's. Just seems to be more common that it coincided with the single release.

I do remember reading a newspaper article about WB getting angry when some radio stations played Like a Prayer a day prior to the single release and a couple days prior to when they were allowed.

Also I am pretty sure the 12" was released a few weeks after the 7" of Angel. Like maybe two weeks after.

So that would actually mean that Into the Groove should come BEFORE Angel in a timeline?

And thank you for the info!!! It’s very useful.

10 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

So that would actually mean that Into the Groove should come BEFORE Angel in a timeline?

considering that ITG was added on MTV on March 30,  '85, I'd say yeah ITG came earlier than Angel

14 hours ago, me1981 said:

the 12" was released the last week of May and debuted as Angel/Into the Groove (at #10) on the June 8 issue of Billboard :) and it shot to #1 the very next week

On 5/22/2020 at 7:17 PM, Blue Jean said:

Yeah in terms of radio play. Not sure when ITG was added to radio, as it wasn't an official add by WB/Sire. The video was released to coincide with the movie release. So I do believe Mar 30, 1985 is correct for MTV adding it to the rotation. It probably ended up on radio soon after and probably before Angel hit the airwaves.

Also not sure, but I don't think there was any kind of clip for Angel in the US. Internationally I am not sure what was played, but Angel was released after ITG in the UK. I think ITG saw a July release and Angel may have been September. 

In terms of physical single releases in the US Angel 7" still comes first.