Guy Oseary no longer running Maverick to focus on Madonna and U2

Redha DBL

“I’m ready for my new chapter and welcome the opportunity to have more time to focus on management of Madonna and U2 while furthering my passion for identifying and incubating revolutionary businesses,” said Oseary in a statement.

mdnaskin-gif2.gif

Moving forward, Oseary will segue to a consulting role with Live Nation, specifically for CEO Michael Rapino for the next three years, while continuing to represent Madonna and U2 under the Maverick banner. A statement by Live Nation notes that Oseary will be “concentrating on his entrepreneurial interests, investing in and incubating companies on the cutting edge of technology and entertainment.”

9 minutes ago, Matty said:

Maybe he's finally seen how at rock bottom she is with her touring reputation and he can sort it out plus get her to celebrate her back catalog and those reissues sorted.

We wish! He probably will keep on trying to make her launch others Hardy Candy Fitness and MDNA Skin affairs to make money while bringing new features to make her "current". :Madonna021:

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

“I’m ready for my new chapter and welcome the opportunity to have more time to focus on management of Madonna and U2 while furthering my passion for identifying and incubating revolutionary businesses,” said Oseary in a statement.

mdnaskin-gif2.gif

April's fools was almost two months ago, Guy! :lol: is that a dildo on the gif? she seems very satisfied...

Said Rapino: “Guy built an incredible team at Maverick and his work with U2 and Madonna is unmatched. Live Nation has always been about putting the artist first and no one knows that better than Guy. I look forward to continuing our work together on projects including U2, Madonna and beyond.”

Excuse Me No GIF by Madonna

go amazon GIF

29 minutes ago, Steffmad said:

Sorry, I just call him worst Manager ever. i think after all this years he is only focused on his undertrousers!

I think someway he is very similar to Madonna. If you look at his IG, with all the pictures taken with celebrities since he was a teen, you see someone who wanted to be rich and powerful and succeeded with his force of will. He reminds me of her.

We will never know if he is behind many bad choices in the past 15 years or if it's Madonna's fault. Definitely he is responsible for not stopping her or forcing her in the right direction.

Longer and more detailed article from Variety:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/guy-oseary-madonna-u2-manager-maverick-1234618275/

Guy Oseary has “stepped down” from the day-to-day running Maverick, the management collective he founded in 2014. “I’m ready for my new chapter and welcome the opportunity to have more time to focus on management of Madonna and U2 while furthering my passion for identifying and incubating revolutionary businesses,” said Oseary in a statement, first published by Billboard.

Moving forward, Oseary will segue to a consulting role with Live Nation, specifically for CEO Michael Rapino for the next three years, while continuing to represent Madonna and U2 under the Maverick banner. A statement by Live Nation notes that Oseary will be “concentrating on his entrepreneurial interests, investing in and incubating companies on the cutting edge of technology and entertainment.”

Said Rapino: “Guy built an incredible team at Maverick and his work with U2 and Madonna is unmatched. Live Nation has always been about putting the artist first and no one knows that better than Guy. I look forward to continuing our work together on projects including U2, Madonna and beyond.”

Partnered with Ashton Kutcher in venture capital firm Sound Ventures, Oseary’s investments include prescient stakes in Uber, Airbnb, Spotify, Pinterest and Square, among others. He’s also an investor in Peloton and the co-founder of budding social media platform Community.

What does the move mean for such seasoned managers as Adam Leber (Miley Cyrus. Lil Nas X), Larry Rudolph (Britney Spears, Pitbull), Sal Slaiby (The Weeknd, Doja Cat), Scott Rodger (Paul McCartney, Andrea Bocelli) and Lee Anne Callahan-Longo (Ricky Martin) — just a handful of the power brokers under the Maverick umbrella — and their clients? Not much changes, it seems, as most of the Maverick collective is contracted for employment by Live Nation and their deals made with Rapino.

Indeed, the number of acts Live Nation manages has ballooned over the last five years and, as of 2019, counts more than 500 acts represented by “70 managers across 16 management companies,” the company notes of its Artist Nation management arm which is also partnered with such concerns as Roc Nation (home to management clients Rihanna, Shakira and Mariah Carey, among many more). Live Nation “will continue to invest in this division,” the statement continues.

Still, it stands to reason that some managers might want to pivot off of the Maverick brand to another firm within the Live Nation-Artist Nation ecosystem.

Perplexed? You’re not alone. Multiple insiders are scratching their heads over the purpose of such a “vague” announcement, pointing to Maverick’s structure as more of a loose collective of management silos than one requiring heavy oversight by a chief executive. It’s also worth noting that both Madonna and U2 have touring agreements with Live Nation (each reported to be worth north of $120 million when they were signed as 360 deals in 2007 and 2008, respectively) — Oseary had worked with the Madonna since he was in his twenties, but came aboard the U2 train in 2013 — so they remain under the tent no matter their management representation.

Oseary himself has made no secret of his desire to reach beyond music, amassing credits as a film producer (four “Twilight” films, Rob Zombie’s “House of 1,000 Corpses” and “The Devil’s Rejects”) and television executive (“Last Call with Carson Daly”), in addition to author and photographer. More recently — and with the absence of awards shows or afterparties due to the coronavirus pandemic — Oseary has been hosting A-list Zoom get-togethers that have drawn the likes of Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Adam Sandler, Dakota Fanning, Laura Dern and Netflix’s Ted Sarandos, according to the New York Post.

Oseary got his start in the entertainment business as an A&R executive at Madonna’s label while barely out of his teens. He credits his longtime client for being a master of reinvention. “She has a lot to do with that because I’ve been around her relentless process of innovating since I was 18 years old,” Oseary told Variety last August. As it turns out, Madonna similarly shaped the work ethic of this visionary who was born in Jerusalem but bred in Beverly Hills. “She doesn’t have many peers and she’s always pushing new ground — the word lazy doesn’t connect to her,” he said, though he could have easily been talking about himself.  “Maybe being around [her] helped to show me that’s just the way it goes.”

The writing seemed to be on the wall as early as last summer when Oseary reflected on the potential peak of Maverick’s success. “Let’s look at the totality of it all: Every manager is doing really well,” he said, citing Rudolph, Slaiby, Clarence Spalding (Jason Alean) and “the guys on the country side,” Nashville-focused Big Loud Management. Of Leber and Gee Roberson, who jointly guide the career of Lil Nas X, Oseary added: “I’m proud that two managers came together here under the Maverick roof and were able to achieve this incredible success and break all these world records.”

When Variety asked Oseary what sets him apart from everyone else in business, he replied: “I think that it’s always day one. Every morning I wake up like: ‘Okay, now where do I begin?’ I don’t have a sense of a sense of accomplishment as much as I do: ‘Today is day one — let’s go.’ “

Let’s face it he was only interested in her concert promoting and at the end of the day that’s her only revenue anyway And not her album/singles sales  I don’t know why fans blame him for her poor choice of producers and lack of commercial success since Confessions - you have to put some of the blame on M and of course radio for you ignoring her music since 2003
at the end of the day she isn’t going to achieve the same level of success she had in the 80s and 90s despite the fact her music is still interesting- when I hear crap songs in the charts today that do well I’m quite mystified why any of it is popular - it’s all songs featuring some other rapper or singer ??

14 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

I'm gonna say something i want to say for a long time but i didn't cause i think people will get it the wrong way. I will say it anyway ;

To me the problems began when her kids started to grow up and were at an age when they were able to express their tastes in music. She said many and many times, in many differents tv or magazines interviews and for almost every albums since Hard Candy, that she worked with this or that producer because that is who her kids were listening to or because they told her is a hot producer. In other words, To me, the problems began when she started to listen to her kids when it comes to her music career. The last example that comes to mind is for Rebel Heart, she said it's one of her kid (don't remeber wich one) who told her he loved Diplo and that she should make music with him, that's when she added him in the Rebel Heart process and they gave the album another sound. This has happen with almost every album since Hard Candy. I'm sure some fans could find other exemples where she mention her kids related to her musical choices.

That's an interesting point, although I think she would have gone down that route regardless of her kids. I think she just became insecure after American Life flopped and Confessions singles underperformed in the US. 

Also, maybe I am wrong but I think it was Nas that she worked with because Rocco liked him. Don't remember anything about Diplo. 

At the end of the day people can blame whoever they want but she is past it from a commercial perspective- there are no artists or groups ( alive) over the age of at least 50 who perform well in the charts and the sooner her fans and M get over this - the better - I just want her to make good music period and not try to pander to tweens who’s taste in music nowadays is shit anyway ? I mean Drake ? Come on ?

15 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

At the end of the day people can blame whoever they want but she is past it from a commercial perspective- there are no artists or groups ( alive) over the age of at least 50 who perform well in the charts and the sooner her fans and M get over this - the better - I just want her to make good music period and not try to pander to tweens who’s taste in music nowadays is shit anyway ? I mean Drake ? Come on ?

I totally agree with you, although I admit that in a very irrational way I hope that M can still make it in the charts although they are now useless.

All songs released today have the same sound and even wirse than that, the girls have same vocals!! You can never recognize them.

But unfortunately from they way Rebel Heart songs we treated - and we are lucky to have witnessed part of the creative process - and from the musical choices in Madame X you have to admit that it's Madonna and her record company who still care. Those records desperately try to blend the "Madonna style" with a contemporary sound that often ruins the songs trying to make her sound young.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
2 hours ago, Matty said:

Maybe he's finally seen how at rock bottom she is with her touring reputation and he can sort it out plus get her to celebrate her back catalog and those reissues sorted.

If only he were that good. Sorry, this man needs to go.

I hope this means no more collabs with Maverick's artists for Madonna. I think the decrease in terms of quality control on the post Warner albums is due to the fact that someone at Warner was checking things and making suggestions. It can't be coincidence that Both Madonna and Prince made less thrilling albums after they left Warner and imo the contrast in quality is even bigger in Prince discography. His Warner years are extraordinary (except maybe in the end, starting when he had his own recording studio in Paisley Park) and the albums he released after that pale in comparison.

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

I totally agree with you, although I admit that in a very irrational way I hope that M can still make it in the charts although they are now useless.

All songs released today have the same sound and even wirse than that, the girls have same vocals!! You can never recognize them.

But unfortunately from they way Rebel Heart songs we treated - and we are lucky to have witnessed part of the creative process - and from the musical choices in Madame X you have to admit that it's Madonna and her record company who still care. Those records desperately try to blend the "Madonna style" with a contemporary sound that often ruins the songs trying to make her sound young.

I’ve always thought that most female singers Just sound like Rihanna ??

34 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I hope this means no more collabs with Maverick's artists for Madonna. I think the decrease in terms of quality control on the post Warner albums is due to the fact that someone at Warner was checking things and making suggestions. It can't be coincidence that Both Madonna and Prince made less thrilling albums after they left Warner and imo the contrast in quality is even bigger in Prince discography. His Warner years are extraordinary (except maybe in the end, starting when he had his own recording studio in Paisley Park) and the albums he released after that pale in comparison.

You can’t blame the record company for this I’m sorry - prince hasnt made any catchy songs since the emancipation album which wasn’t a Warner’s record - and M ‘s songwriting has been very patchy since American life - it’s just artists running out of creativity I think and nothing to do with record companies interference - I mean how songs does M mention fuzzy dream ?