Guy Oseary no longer running Maverick to focus on Madonna and U2

Redha DBL

3 hours ago, DWMG said:

I don't think he's a good manager but i also don't think he is the one to blame for Madonna latest failures. She's the only one the blame there. She's the one that writes that music, that produces it, gives it green light and then tours with it.

If she keeps doing music that doesn't please anyone outside her small hardcore fan base or does bad promotion (bad interviews or bad performances)... what can he do? Unless you tell me he has the last word during the creative process...

for what it's worth: guy certainly gave his creative input during the recording sessions for ROL, as stated by madonna herself. this might have changed for the albums that followed, although i don't see why it would have.

7 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

you are entitled to your opinion as much as mine. it doesnt mean my suggestion is anymore 'silly' or 'stupid' than yours.

there is no 'assumption' or 'jumping to conclusion' to the fact that Madonna is very driven to look ahead rather back.

So when in recent years has Madonna said or ever implied that she’s stubborn and not interested?

7 minutes ago, deathproof said:

So when in recent years has Madonna said or ever implied that she’s stubborn and not interested?

you tend to read things that arent said.  i never stated Madonna said or implied anything.

my opinion is that shes stubborn to look back. her record and how she manages to forge ahead further gives me the the idea that she looks ahead rather back.  i never said she wouldnt or hasnt.  but more than less, she forges ahead rather looks back.

Just now, Gilbert said:

you tend to read things that arent said.  i never said Madonna said or implied anything.

my opinion is that shes stubborn to look back. her record and how she manages to forge ahead further gives me the the idea that she looks ahead rather back.  i never said she wouldnt or hasnt.  but more than less, she forges ahead rather looks back.

You presented something as a fact by using the word, “fact” in your initial response. When what you are saying is simply an opinion.

Plus there are many instances In recent years when Madonna has “looked back.”

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

You presented something as a fact by using the word, “fact” in your initial response. When what you are saying is simply an opinion.

Plus there are many instances In recent years when Madonna has “looked back.”

you sound like you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. i was clear what was my opinion and never said she hasnt looked back.

edit to add: i never used the word "fact" in my initial post that you quoted. the only time i used it is in a follow up post when I stated she "was driven to look ahead" and that has been proven more than dis proven.

mix words with someone else.

@deathproof

9 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

you sound like you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. i was clear what was my opinion and never said she hasnt looked back.

mix words with someone else.

This is a discussion. Not an argument. You’re original post came off as if you were presenting a fact, when it was just your opinion ! ?

Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

i think she needs a few years where she re-exposes the world to what made her so iconic.  i felt when she did the super bowl we saw a glimpse of positivity from the public performing some of her greatest hits. we need more of that.

100%

I know it’s been said but it would be fantastic if they make the most out of her fortieth anniversary. Remasters, reissues, box sets etc. If she’s up to it, perhaps a limited greatest hits tour. The Super Bowl felt like such a celebratory moment for her, which is rare these days, so it’d be great to have more moments like that before the next album. 

1 minute ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

100%

I know it’s been said but it would be fantastic if they make the most out of her fortieth anniversary. Remasters, reissues, box sets etc. If she’s up to it, perhaps a limited greatest hits tour. The Super Bowl felt like such a celebratory moment for her, which is rare these days, so it’d be great to have more moments like that before the next album. 

the "Celebration" release and era could have been much bigger and grander. a perfect chance to look back. i just wish it was executed better and they remastered everything. a greatest hits sort of tour would have been great.

i dont want her to stop producing new music, but we have had plenty of that with the last several albums. spend a couple years looking back now. she can still throw us a new bone or two in the mix.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

the "Celebration" release and era could have been much bigger and grander. a perfect chance to look back. i just wish it was executed better and they remastered everything. a greatest hits sort of tour would have been great.

i dont want her to stop producing new music, but we have had plenty of that with the last several albums. spend a couple years looking back now. she can still throw us a new bone or two in the mix.

I don’t want her to stop making new music or anything. She is the Queen of Pop though and has, in my opinion, the best pop catalogue ever, and she rarely looks back on it so I’d love for more of those moments.

Celebration was a disappointing release to me, so I’d be more than welcoming to a remastered greatest hits collection/box set next. If it’s done well and promoted well then it could really reintroduce her catalogue to the public before the next era and also boost her streaming presence. 

23 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I don’t want her to stop making new music or anything. She is the Queen of Pop though and has, in my opinion, the best pop catalogue ever, and she rarely looks back on it so I’d love for more of those moments.

Celebration was a disappointing release to me, so I’d be more than welcoming to a remastered greatest hits collection/box set next. If it’s done well and promoted well then it could really reintroduce her catalogue to the public before the next era and also boost her streaming presence. 

yes, she seems to rarely want to look back. im glad you noted that too.  and i wont assume just because you said it, you were presenting it as fact. :)

i wasnt too bothered by the Celebration release, but i agree it could have been better. id like to see something more comprehensive, but i realize some of the things we demand for, might not exist or will ever exist in the quality we hope such as certain tours and videos. also, im thinking a huge "remastered... box set" would be more of an interest to the fans rather the general public. it would be very expensive. she could even incorporate a tour around it when shes healthy and ready. i fear this pandemic is probably going to make things complicated for touring for the next few years. but there are ways to still start celebrating her older stuff to build up to a hits tour in the near future.

the anniversary of Immaculate Collection will be another missed opportunity to commemorate her back catalog. i think it would be cool to re-release it with an expanded edition that spans her whole career. the title still fits. but of course everything needs to be remastered and upgraded. its a fun thought.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
5 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

yes, she seems to rarely want to look back. im glad you noted that too.  and i wont assume just because you said it, you were presenting it as fact. :)

i wasnt too bothered by the Celebration release, but i agree it could have been better. id like to see something more comprehensive, but i realize some of the things we demand for, might not exist or will ever exist in the quality we hope such as certain tours and videos. also, im thinking a huge "remastered... box set" would be more of an interest to the fans rather the general public. it would be very expensive. she could even incorporate a tour around it when shes healthy and ready. i fear this pandemic is probably going to make things complicated for touring for the next few years. but there are ways to still start celebrating her older stuff to build up to a hits tour in the near future.

the anniversary of Immaculate Collection will be another missed opportunity to commemorate her back catalog. i think it would be cool to re-release it with an expanded edition that spans her whole career. the title still fits. but of course everything needs to be remastered and upgraded. its a fun thought.

Of course. I don’t expect any of it to happen, it’s all just fun thinking. 

9 hours ago, Enrico said:

We will never know if he is behind many bad choices in the past 15 years or if it's Madonna's fault. Definitely he is responsible for not stopping her or forcing her in the right direction.

He is her manager ! He's definitely behind many bad choices, because this is what a manager does ! If she's going the wrong way, he should tell her, or help her to make up her mind. He is not her friend, he is her manager, he has to manage her ! He's not supposed to be a yes-man ! He is supposed to be a no-madam ! She should choose someone she respects, someone she trusts, someone who tells her "Well, a tour on the Moon on 2025 is not so easy to plan". or "You can't release singles this messy way, just remixes out of the blue only because you have those remixes" or "should we talk about your IG account?". I know she's such a strong woman. She just needs a strong man to manage her.

1 hour ago, OceanBlue said:

She just needs a strong man to manage her.

that’s ahlamalik’s job now. :04:

but in all seriousness: it's not a one-way street. guy surely is an enabler in many ways, but i’m certain madonna herself hasn’t become more accessible as she has grown older. quite the opposite. it’s human nature.

I’m intrigued by the level of input, influence and guidance Sara Zambreno has, I know Guy was present during the Madame X Tour but Sara seems to be the day to day manager(?) and she’s been around in some capacity for years. 

I sometimes think Madonna’s trying to recoup some of what she lost to Guy, the gyms, perfumes, clothes, skin care line, Vega slot machines ... it’s like she’s never realised her biggest goldmine is her back catalogue but her whole psyche is to look forward which is why she never got caught in a moment like MJ did his whole career.

There’s something punk about Madonna’s blatant not giving a fuck in the same way there’s something cheap about continual re-releases and greatest hits packages but there’s a balance and the Beatles consistently demonstrate how to reissue and promote past work, sell millions worldwide and build a whole new audience as evidenced by their placing in the decade end billboard Top 10. With the right promo and build up M could release Blond Ambition at the cinema and it would make a fucking killing. I hope she embraces her legacy this next decade and sacks every motherfucker associated with her website and YouTube.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
2 hours ago, ziggyfrommars said:

There’s something punk about Madonna’s blatant not giving a fuck in the same way there’s something cheap about continual re-releases and greatest hits packages but there’s a balance and the Beatles consistently demonstrate how to reissue and promote past work, sell millions worldwide and build a whole new audience as evidenced by their placing in the decade end billboard Top 10. With the right promo and build up M could release Blond Ambition at the cinema and it would make a fucking killing. I hope she embraces her legacy this next decade and sacks every motherfucker associated with her website and YouTube.

This all the way. I don’t want Madonna to end up being a legacy artist and surviving on greatest hits but I agree there certainly has to be some sort of balance. And I totally agree with that last sentence :pray:

Madonna doesn't need to become a nostalgic act, we all know she would never do that. But remember when after American Life didn't go as planned? There was the VMA's, Re-Invention brought a hit-heavy setlist without crompromising the artistic heart of the album and it's message and right after she went full on disco diva and made yet another renaissance moment in her career.
Erotica to Bedtime/Something to Remember/Evita was another of those moments. One could argue that it was all on her, another could say that it was her management but after she left Warner we never got one of those...
We understand her need to focus on her family and so on, but the time between Hard Candy and MDNA was too much and she never recovered after that. The Superbowl was a very nice moment for her but they only used it to promote her tour and she disappeared again after. Madonna was out of the public eye since the 2006 Grammy/2007 Live Earth and minus the Superbowl in 2012 she only came back in 2015 and that performance happened.
There was no movie sondtrack between those projects as she used to do through the 90's that kept her on the spotlight and the music industry changed fast. Without trying to compare her to anybody but during 2008/2012 we saw dance pop music dominating the charts again with Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna and Beyoncé became bigger than they were and Madonna wasn't present.
They chose to focus on her touring, which is understandable, but they forgot that without a hit and the general public, as big as Madonna is, stadiums arenas will start to sell less, add to that her 2 plus hours late behavior in 2012/2015...
Even if her stubbornness is to blame for this a manager should be there to at least paint her the picture and try to meet halfway and we don't have any indication that Guy did that. All we hear is how he cut this and that for her plans because it costs money, how he tells her that her shows are too long and how he tries to make her sell stuff that after 2 months nobody remembers anymore :Madonna033: