Bob Dylan Says Pop Music 'Means Nothing' to Him, But Madonna Is 'Good'!

Voguerista

32 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I personally don’t need the endorsement of this straight white man who’s always seemed a bit up his arse. 
im sure it was just an offhand comment to show respect though.

What's being straight and white have to do with anything. 

Bob Dylan represents what music snobs call “real music”. These music snobs tend to be straight white males who only really rate guitar based music performed by straight white men. Bob is the embodiment of that wether he likes it or not. The optics of him speaking on the talent of a sexually ambiguous woman who has fought long and hard in an industry stacked against her by people who look like bob is a difficult circle to square. I work in the music industry. It’s a plague. 
His words were kind but I loathe this demonisation of pop music when the larger narrative around fans of his ilk of music feels judgemental and superior. Which again has its own optics. We know what that leads to ultimately. 

I’m sure Bobs a nice man but his statement is messy. Like.. we don’t need another hetro white boy pissing on a genre of music that means a lot queer communities. If he can’t see the value in what pop music represents to people even through its artifice then he’s a poor musician. 
sorry bout it. 

2 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Bob Dylan represents what music snobs call “real music”. These music snobs tend to be straight white males who only really rate guitar based music performed by straight white men. Bob is the embodiment of that wether he likes it or not. The optics of him speaking on the talent of a sexually ambiguous woman who has fought long and hard in an industry stacked against her by people who look like bob is a difficult circle to square. I work in the music industry. It’s a plague. 
His words were kind but I loathe this demonisation of pop music when the larger narrative around fans of his ilk of music feels judgemental and superior. Which again has its own optics. We know what that leads to ultimately. 

I’m sure Bobs a nice man but his statement is messy. Like.. we don’t need another hetro white boy pissing on a genre of music that means a lot queer communities. If he can’t see the value in what pop music represents to people even through its artifice then he’s a poor musician. 
sorry bout it. 

And don't you think you're being highly judgemental yourself here too ?

If not then ...well...

50 minutes ago, steady75 said:

sorry bout it. 

I wish people like you would stop trying to cause division and segregation amongst people. Take that chip off your shoulder, I couldn't care less if he's white, black, green, non binary or whatever.

The only person pissing on a community is you with your prejudiced comments, grow up.

If Bob had made those comments about rap music or K-pop I’m sure the reaction would be different. To think that pop music isn’t the main fodder for gays teenage girls and isn’t viewed that way by heterosexual males feels a little naive. Would the new Lady Gaga or Britney record be pumped loud from these blokes cars. No... way too imasculating.  Of course pop music reaches a wider field but I personally still think there’s a snobbery and It stems from masculine ideals. Bob will have had this conversation a lot with his contemporaries and critics. He knows what he said. 
I don’t think you need to get personal to get your point across mate. I always find it a fascinating physiological response when somebody would rather personally attack someone they are speaking to and having interaction with whiles simultaneously calling for “world peace” but that’s just me. 

Have a good day anyway x 

On 5/29/2020 at 12:26 PM, steady75 said:

If Bob had made those comments about rap music or K-pop I’m sure the reaction would be different. To think that pop music isn’t the main fodder for gays teenage girls and isn’t viewed that way by heterosexual males feels a little naive. Would the new Lady Gaga or Britney record be pumped loud from these blokes cars. No... way too imasculating.  Of course pop music reaches a wider field but I personally still think there’s a snobbery and It stems from masculine ideals. Bob will have had this conversation a lot with his contemporaries and critics. He knows what he said. 
I don’t think you need to get personal to get your point across mate. I always find it a fascinating physiological response when somebody would rather personally attack someone they are speaking to and having interaction with whiles simultaneously calling for “world peace” but that’s just me. 

Have a good day anyway x 

You have some issues, don't bring it on this website please.

1 hour ago, Mister_Pop said:

That's good to hear, but I wonder what Elton John thinks of that.

:04:

Elton John hasn't made a decent album since he stopped taking drugs which in retrospect should impose his 70's albums to be renamed "by Cocaine" instead of his name. One should see what David Bowie used to say about Elton in those days because he completly leeched Bowie to be an acceptable light version of him.

Can we just accept that no artist in history has topped themselves album after album?The biggest ones all have deteriorated except those who died prematurely. Mr Dylan saying this now and using the present tense is something great to hear and of course 3/4 of Madonna fans wouldn't use the present tense. He's basically saying she got better with experience and time. And I agree with that.

22 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

Can we just accept that no artist in history has topped themselves album after album?The biggest ones all have deteriorated except those who died prematurely. Mr Dylan saying this now and using the present tense is something great to hear and of course 3/4 of Madonna fans wouldn't use the present tense. He's basically saying she got better with experience and time. And I agree with that.

The interview is actually from 1991.

1 hour ago, LVX said:

The interview is actually from 1991.

Oh sorry it wasn't stated in the first post. He was simply mentioned as a 79 year old so I thought it's about now. Well then he probably loathes all of pop today and has never heard a song by Madonna after the 90's lol. I am sticking to my present tense tho :heart: