Michael Stewart Benefit Performance, 1983

Bobo

Rob Zombie, one of my favourite people, just posted on Instagram, elaborating more on an incident he witnessed in September 1983 when he had just moved to NYC. 

The incident in question involved Michael Stewart, a young African American who was being beaten by police. He would later die from his injuries. 

Rob posted 3 images. One of Michael Stewart, one of artwork and one of a flyer advertising a benefit gig that took place on October 3rd. Look who the headliner was... So even from the beginning, she was active in standing up and being counted. 

Screenshot_20200601-190258.png

Michael was in the Everybody video. This picture of Madonna was taken at the benefit to raise awareness against police brutality https://whitecrossart.com/madonna:-young-pop-star-in-prayer-pose-an-archival-print-1208?tag=You

In this medium post a close friend details how close they all were and how it affected them

https://medium.com/@JordanGLevinMIA/michael-was-murdered-the-death-of-michael-stewart-and-discovering-police-brutality-ab7fd1fa3347

1 hour ago, PatrickSamuel said:

Rob Zombie, one of my favourite people, just posted on Instagram, elaborating more on an incident he witnessed in September 1983 when he had just moved to NYC. 

The incident in question involved Michael Stewart, a young African American who was being beaten by police. He would later die from his injuries. 

Rob posted 3 images. One of Michael Stewart, one of artwork and one of a flyer advertising a benefit gig that took place on October 3rd. Look who the headliner was... So even from the beginning, she was active in standing up and being counted. 

Screenshot_20200601-190258.png

Thanks for sharing this interesting fact, btw I love Rob Zombie's films.

11 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Bagz is in it too but i linked a medium post where an old acquaintance of Madonna recalls the day of the shooting of the video with Michael and Martin.

Oh yes, I recall he was in the "audience". Not actually on stage with M.