hey you (question)

dead or alive

Doubtful of that. It might have been a special session that had no relation to Confessions (the previous era) or Hard Candy (the incoming era) or it may have been written sooner than both albums. As for Je T'aime I think it was a special session recorded on off days between the shows in Paris. I don't think it was supposed to be apart of the MDNA album.

2 hours ago, diegolcl said:

It's often said as Madonna self-penned (as in wikipedia) but the credits from the Live Earth CD/DVD says it's a Madonna/Pharrell track.

She wrote 3 songs with an acoustic guitar in early 2007: Hey You, Beat Goes On, and Broken. All 3 of those acoustic demos leaked. Whether Hey You was intended to be on HC or not, she still demoed it for the 11th studio album, and recorded it during her sessions with Pharrell.

2 hours ago, PWCCA said:

I'm sure I remember hearing that what eventually became 'Hey You' began its life during the COADF sessions, and was worked on again with Pharrell for the Live Earth thing

Yes, Keep The Trance. Some of the lyrics are very similar to Hey You.

Most of Hey You lyrics come from Keep The Trance, a leftover from the COADF era. I think that during the Hard Candy sessions with Pharrell, Madonna wanted to make a quick song to release and perform in time for the Live Earth so she recycled those already written lyrics, turned it into a ballad and that was it 

I am curious to know who sings the male parts on Je T'aime, I don't think it was Marvin, I have never known about him singing

On 6/2/2020 at 5:38 AM, reinvented_0 said:

Most of Hey You lyrics come from Keep The Trance, a leftover from the COADF era. I think that during the Hard Candy sessions with Pharrell, Madonna wanted to make a quick song to release and perform in time for the Live Earth so she recycled those already written lyrics, turned it into a ballad and that was it 

I am curious to know who sings the male parts on Je T'aime, I don't think it was Marvin, I have never known about him singing

I think Je T’Aime was first intended as a one off performance at Olympia and then a demo was done part of the Rebel Heart sessions

On 6/2/2020 at 3:01 AM, deathproof said:

She wrote 3 songs with an acoustic guitar in early 2007: Hey You, Beat Goes On, and Broken. All 3 of those acoustic demos leaked. Whether Hey You was intended to be on HC or not, she still demoed it for the 11th studio album, and recorded it during her sessions with Pharrell.

"Hey You" was recorded at the same time of the "Hard Candy" session in 2007 with Pharrell, so definitely YES.