Wannabe's!

I wonder when exactly her fan base became more gay male. 86/87 or was it with Vogue/Blond? Her explosion in 85 was all about the girls wanting to be like her which is fenomenal, but we don't see many women in her fan base anymore (of course there's the casual listener but you know...)

i think that pop stars in their first phase, have a lot of female, male, straight fans. As the years pass, because popstars are not 'forever' they move on or change musical tastes. That is way Madonna is only for gay male pop lovers, i think. I had.have the same question as you do. I am still searching. 

2 hours ago, diegolcl said:

I wonder when exactly her fan base became more gay male. 86/87 or was it with Vogue/Blond? Her explosion in 85 was all about the girls wanting to be like her which is fenomenal, but we don't see many women in her fan base anymore (of course there's the casual listener but you know...)

I created a thread about this a few years ago:

Her association with gay culture started with Vogue, TOD, Sex.

In 1987 she was loved by everyone.

26 minutes ago, Enrico said:

I created a thread about this a few years ago:

Her association with gay culture started with Vogue, TOD, Sex.

In 1987 she was loved by everyone.

not exactly true. a lot of the female fan base, specifically the teeny boppers, moved on once True Blue was released. the gay male base was always there but it wasnt until the later 80s that base was more predominant. i would agree that Vogue and there on, we started seeing an explosion of her gay base. once she started aligning herself publicly with the Aids crisis and becoming more publicly associated with the gay culture, the male base started growing more. that was happening by 86. her best friend Martin died in the mid 80's and that is when she seemed more publicly supportive of the LGBT community and the Aids crisis.

she still has a strong female following. though a lot of the female base is favorable to the early stuff. and i do believe there is a decent amount straight males who love her even still. they are just less admitting of it and dont fall over everything she does.  

A lot of her straight female followers are extremely loyal to her it seems, and I'd say most of her male straight fans are closeted M fans , they love her and her music but they'd prefer to be quiet about it and -their love of M- not be widely known specially to their other straight friends :lol:

On 6/15/2020 at 1:16 PM, Ian said:

A lot of her straight female followers are extremely loyal to her it seems, and I'd say most of her male straight fans are closeted M fans , they love her and her music but they'd prefer to be quiet about it and -their love of M- not be widely known specially to their other straight friends :lol:

I think you nailed it for what I've seen too

At the Rebel Heart tour in 2016, a majority of the audience was WOMEN 

And a lot of their husbands being strung along with them

I don't know who would ever think that she's "just for gay men"

Ridiculous assumption

Gay men are just more vocal and obsessive fans compared to women and definitely compared to straight men