Turn up the Radio!

Kieran

Particularly at this time of year, this song needs some love and attention. I often think that TUTR gets a little lost within some of the noise/issues surrounding MDNA. But this track in many ways stands out as being one of the several keepers from this era. It really does stand the test of time. Firstly, its simplicity and carefree lyrics are joyful and effective without being too simple/basic (hello, Superstar :laughing:) and the production suits the song really well - again, without seeming too affected by the wider production issues of this album.

Even the video - compared to some of the more recent video productions that we had gotten, M actually drove around the beautiful streets looking :fire: during a World Tour when she could have just gone all Celebration video on us!

Also, every time I hear this track it takes me back to Summer 2012 and the MDNA tour. Notably, the memory of driving to Hyde Park, London and to the Birmingham show. Compared to 2020, it reminds me of a brighter time in the world. And I guess that is the whole point of this song... When the world starts to get you down, turn up the radio! The perfect antidote to all of the chaos that is going on right now.

What are your thoughts on TUTR...? Any favourite mixes, memories etc?

I love the video though as was the first video in such a long time that not shot in a studio but had some outside scenes  - maybe since Hung Up and Sorry had a couple of outside scenes and before then What If Feels like for a Girl was probably the one before those that had something outside a studio in it.  Liked how it was shot with the summer light and liked the fans in the background running alongside the car.  

I do think the vocals are too pitched up and over processed and would have sounded a lot less shrill and better without having her voice altered so much  - I guess they thought it would make her sound younger and more carefree. On this clip - it has Turn Up The Radio with the vocals pitch shifted back down at about 30 seconds the before and after.

8 hours ago, EgoRod said:

I used to enjoy Martin Solveig more than I do, I have the similar thing with Benassi. I think they came out with really good beats to the EDM scene but so heavily replicated now that feels tired.

I listen to TUTR depending of the mood, most part of the times I skip it.

But it is a good time tune.

I just searched for and listened to the Solveig mix - yeah, it is kinda dated but fun! Does her vocal sound a little clearer in the mix...?

7 hours ago, Enrico said:

It's my phone ringtone!!

I like it, it gives me positive vibes.

Wow - you're giving me ideas. I want to hear your phone go off now :)

4 hours ago, Nahual said:

I liked it the first few times I heard it... then it gradually became an earache to me. I skip it along with I'm A Sinner and I Don't Give A when I listen to MDNA (which is rare these days). The music video is cute, though. Built good.

I think this is one of the reasons why TUTR stands out so well. There is a bulk of vapid tracks in the middle of MDNA that I struggle to listen to and which drag the album: GMAYL, Superstar and certainly Some Girls - ugh! I'm not a great fan of I'm a Sinner, but the live version made me appreciate the song. Oh, if only this album was given more time - and Falling Fee was rerecorded without that nasal tone...

:Madonna038: 

On 6/15/2020 at 7:26 PM, MDNA22 said:

I love the video though as was the first video in such a long time that not shot in a studio but had some outside scenes  - maybe since Hung Up and Sorry had a couple of outside scenes and before then What If Feels like for a Girl was probably the one before those that had something outside a studio in it.  Liked how it was shot with the summer light and liked the fans in the background running alongside the car.  

I do think the vocals are too pitched up and over processed and would have sounded a lot less shrill and better without having her voice altered so much  - I guess they thought it would make her sound younger and more carefree. On this clip - it has Turn Up The Radio with the vocals pitch shifted back down at about 30 seconds the before and after.

Wow actually all the tracks sounds so much better with her real lower voice !