Dua Lipa wants to emulate Madonna and peak in her 40s

Voguerista

I love Dua Lipa and how she loves Madonna. I'm not sure she'll ever be as successful as Madonna, but, if continues to be as creative as she is, you never know?

Dua Lipa wants to emulate Madonna and peak in her 40s

The pop sensation Dua Lipa was recently interviewed by a British daily wherein she expressed her desire to emulate Madonna by peaking in her forties. During the interview, the New Rules singer also admitted that she feared that she would never make it big in pop and revealed that she also got a tattoo that says 'Patience' to keep herself reminded that she has to keep sight on her goals. Elaborating about her future plans during the interview, Dua Lipa expressed that she wants to do what she does for as long as she can.

Drawing inspiration from Madonna's career trajectory, the Be The One singer added that Madonna peaked in her forties with one of the most iconic pop albums known and continues to make music till date. Similarly, Dua Lipa also wants to retire at a point with a couple of dogs and take up smoking again, expressed the singer herself as she continued saying as women, they can work for as long as they want to. 

A grateful Dua Lipa further added that the success she has had is more than she ever possibly imagined and admitted that she never thought she would get this far, not because she did not believe in herself, but she never knew that something like this was possible and will happen to her. The singer also got nostalgic during the interview and shared that every time she goes on the stage, she gets super excited. Reminiscing her moments from the Grammys, she said that she gets blacked out at times when they call her name.

For the unversed, Dua Lipa was awarded the best new artist's title last year at the Grammys. The English singer also released a self-titled album back in 2017, which went on to become a critical as well as commercial success. Her latest studio album, Future Nostalgia, which released in March this year has been at the top of UK album chart for four weeks.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I hope she sees a lot more success. Future Nostalgia has been my favourite album released this year so far. 

6 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

To be precise and correct Madonna's peak was in 1987. I love Dua Lupa' respect for Madonna. By the way, a Madonna/Dua Lupa collab is gonna happen, i'm sure about it.

That would be so awesome! 

23 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I hope she sees a lot more success. Future Nostalgia has been my favourite album released this year so far. 

I need to check this album out still. I have a feeling I'd love it. 

'Future Nostalgia' is the best pop album of the year by miles, not a fan of her first album but she's cool. That's something very refreshing about her and 'Future Nostalgia' as a whole, she doesn't claim to have reinvented the wheel and do not make her work to be more than it is: well written and produced pop songs.

Interesting that she admits to wanting to emulate Madonna and this is apparently fine, yet if it were certain other pop stars saying this, it would be cause for controversy and copycat claims.

Also not to be "that guy", but all her songs sound the same to me; One Kiss is the only one that I genuinely like, and even that probably has more to do with who produced it. Needless to say, I don't think Future Nostalgia's great, but I applaud her success with generic dance-pop songs in an environment where trap music reigns supreme. 

Edited by Nahual (see edit history)

I find Future Nostalgia a wee bit overated. Like..It's a cute girl and all but it's just because it's unashamedly pop that the gays have gone mad for it. Some good bopps though but the over used Your Woman sample in Love Again is yawn and the last two tracks ruin an otherwise good album. So yeah 7 decent tracks and the dodgy title track.

3 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

To be precise and correct Madonna's peak was in 1987. I love Dua Lupa' respect for Madonna. By the way, a Madonna/Dua Lupa collab is gonna happen, i'm sure about it.

going to have disagree. i feel 1990 was her peak.  a few resurgents afterwards but nothing to the height of 1990. not saying 87 wasnt a high point but i feel she kept soaring afterwards.

Dua Lupa's latest album is great. i always make room for new and talented pop artists. it will be interesting to see if she can keep going. anymore most pop artists have one or two good successful albums and then decline.

39 minutes ago, kesiak said:

You mean before she released Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Vogue... Literally nobody thinks Madonna peaked in 1987 :).

33 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

going to have disagree. i feel 1990 was her peak.  a few resurgents afterwards but nothing to the height of 1990. not saying 87 wasnt a high point but i feel she kept soaring afterwards.

Dua Lupa's latest album is great. i always make room for new and talented pop artists. it will be interesting to see if she can keep going. anymore most pop artists have one or two good successful albums and then decline.

Sales wise Madonna's peak is 1987.

51 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Sales wise Madonna's peak is 1987.

i beg to differ since Immaculate Collection has become her biggest selling album to date. Like A Prayer and Vogue were her biggest selling single records at the time until Hung Up.  adding to her peak, BAT was unlike anything she did before. She was in the biggest film of her career. She created this iconic dance sensation with Vogue.

i agree musically in 86 and 87 her album/soundtrack/ep combined sales were through the roof.  but as a whole i do feel 1990 was her peak. it was downhill from there with various resurgents.

8 hours ago, Gilbert said:

i beg to differ since Immaculate Collection has become her biggest selling album to date. Like A Prayer and Vogue were her biggest selling single records at the time until Hung Up.  adding to her peak, BAT was unlike anything she did before. She was in the biggest film of her career. She created this iconic dance sensation with Vogue.

i agree musically in 86 and 87 her album/soundtrack/ep combined sales were through the roof.  but as a whole i do feel 1990 was her peak. it was downhill from there with various resurgents.

also LAV was the biggest selling album by a female (the first woman to hit 5M certified) ever - at the time :)

I feel she's had many peaks over time :cute:

On 6/18/2020 at 6:52 AM, TonyMontana said:

Madonna did not even have a Grammy in 1987.  No Blond Ambition.  No Evita.  No Ray of Light.  No Music.  Madonna was a powerhouse artistically and commercially long after 1987.  M had not peaked in 1987.  

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I always viewed 1990 as Madonna’s commercial peak, and in terms of popularity as well. It really seems like she was on top of the world then, and The Immaculate Collection is her biggest-selling album to date. There was also arguably the most iconic pop tour, and concert film, of all time. 

3 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I always viewed 1990 as Madonna’s commercial peak, and in terms of popularity as well. It really seems like she was on top of the world then, and The Immaculate Collection is her biggest-selling album to date. There was also arguably the most iconic pop tour, and concert film, of all time. 

it's also the World's best selling greatest hits album by a woman ever :cute: (even with all the undecertifications everywhere)