Dua Lipa wants to emulate Madonna and peak in her 40s

Voguerista

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

You surely must realise how ridiculous this argument is? :)

Absolutely not. This means to me that it's at that moment that most people in the world came to buy a Madonna album, and we're talking about millions more people. To relate her commercial peak to the moment she sold the most album is absolutely not ridiculous to me.

5 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Absolutely not. This means to me that it's at that moment that most people in the world came to buy a Madonna album, and we're talking about millions more people. To relate her commercial peak to the moment she sold the most album is absolutely not ridiculous to me.

That may be your opinion, but not the majority’s opinion 

5 hours ago, deathproof said:

That may be your opinion, but not the majority’s opinion 

I'm talking from a general grand public commercial view. I'm not talking from other views, like for example when she became a gay icon (around 1990), or when she became "The queen of pop" around 2000, all of those points were peaks, and there are others.

1 hour ago, TonyMontana said:

I'm talking from a general grand public commercial view. I'm not talking from other views, like for example when she became a gay icon (around 1990), or when she became "The queen of pop" around 2000, all of those points were peaks, and there are others.

Huh? You really should start washing your fruit... :)

Guest Nobody Knows Me
2 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

No offense but Taylor Swift has absolutely no charm, no sexiness and no charisma to me... Her sucess is really the biggest mistery of music to me.

Scooter Braun.

3 hours ago, vasili said:

She's too tall and beautiful for M. M wouldn't allow it.

That comment is interesting. Do you believe M chose her stage/music video collab also according to some physical appearance criterias ? Like as you mentionned someone who wouldn't make her look too short or something ? That' not a silly idea actually, knowing the control freak M is about everything including her image. I, for instance, noticed she never ever had blond dancers with her on stage. She was always the only blond head so you can spot her easily (The Madame X shows was the first time with the blond wigs on the dancers but they are supposed to be her body doubles so it's not the same). 

8 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Scooter Braun.

Ok this explains that. I seriously can never get over the fact that girl is successful... i really, and i mean it, cannot find a single thing to me that explains her success. The voice, the charisma, the physical appearance, everything is at 0% on the star quality scale for me. I can find a few things on stars that i don't like that explains why some people love them but for Taylor Swift it is beyond me... and i don't even hate her or anything, worst that that i have absolutely no interest in her. She might be a nice girl but a star, never ever in my book !

18 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Ok this explains that. I seriously can never get over the fact that girl is successful... i really, and i mean it, cannot find a single thing to me that explains her success. The voice, the charisma, the physical appearance, everything is at 0% on the star quality scale for me. I can find a few things on stars that i don't like that explains why some people love them but for Taylor Swift it is beyond me... and i don't even hate her or anything, worst that that i have absolutely no interest in her. She might be a nice girl but a star, never ever in my book !

Well even though it is off topic I want to respond to that as a person who only a couple years ago started enjoying Taylor and her music. First of all despite not being sexy, she is a very beautiful woman. All blonde and blue eyed and tall with a lovely figure. Second of all she co-writes all her songs and her name is put first because she writes most of the song, unlike Madonna as of late, and I think she wrote an entire album, Speak Now, all on her own. Many of her songs are gorgeous lyrically, try All Too Well or State Of Grace or Blank Space etc. I don't like her country roots or the girly ballad songs she used to make but when she turned to pop she made music that resonated perfectly with me and my generation. Her 1989 songs like Shake It Off, Blank Space, New Romantics are no less than perfect pop songs, let's not forget that Madonna became a superstar with Like A Virgin and Holiday and Material Girl, far from being great songs objectively but in pop terms they are perfect. And well, vocally Taylor equals and outshines Madonna sometimes. She has a louder voice though not very interesting. I agree that sometimes drama made her more famous than she deserved, especially after 2016, but Madonna is no stranger to that either. Okay for me Lana Del Rey and Lorde are far superior in their artistry but Taylor has many qualities similar to Madonna's that kept her more famous, like a huge commercial brain and reinvention abilities. If we are to talk about mystery in pop superstardom, let's talk about Billie Eillish and her boring ass record that gave her like a half a dozen Grammy's and can put an insomniac to a weekend long sleep.

18 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

Well even though it is off topic I want to respond to that as a person who only a couple years ago started enjoying Taylor and her music. First of all despite not being sexy, she is a very beautiful woman. All blonde and blue eyed and tall with a lovely figure. Second of all she co-writes all her songs and her name is put first because she writes most of the song, unlike Madonna as of late, and I think she wrote an entire album, Speak Now, all on her own. Many of her songs are gorgeous lyrically, try All Too Well or State Of Grace or Blank Space etc. I don't like her country roots or the girly ballad songs she used to make but when she turned to pop she made music that resonated perfectly with me and my generation. Her 1989 songs like Shake It Off, Blank Space, New Romantics are no less than perfect pop songs, let's not forget that Madonna became a superstar with Like A Virgin and Holiday and Material Girl, far from being great songs objectively but in pop terms they are perfect. And well, vocally Taylor equals and outshines Madonna sometimes. She has a louder voice though not very interesting. I agree that sometimes drama made her more famous than she deserved, especially after 2016, but Madonna is no stranger to that either. Okay for me Lana Del Rey and Lorde are far superior in their artistry but Taylor has many qualities similar to Madonna's that kept her more famous, like a huge commercial brain and reinvention abilities. If we are to talk about mystery in pop superstardom, let's talk about Billie Eillish and her boring ass record that gave her like a half a dozen Grammy's and can put an insomniac to a weekend long sleep.

I respect your opinion and the fact you appreciate her. As i said i don't hate her but for me she's like the last girl on hearth who has what it takes to be a star. To each their own i guess.

Edited by TonyMontana (see edit history)

3 hours ago, vasili said:

That was one fleeting performance, not a recorded collaboration, and Taylor Swift is not a strong singer.

I was answering to your not so kind comment about Taylor being too tall and beautiful for Madonna, so recorded collaboration or not it doesn't matter. During that fleeting performance Madonna shone next to giraffe Swift. So of course M would allow something like this to happen. After all, everyone M collaborates with seems to get only one fleeting performance with her, but usually of big status. Height doesn't matter, cute matters in a positive way as Madonna has said and of course neither Dua nor Taylor are Whitney Houston vocally :cute:

I used to think Taylor Swift was a singing piece of celery. I've changed my mind on that. Personality aside her voice is really delicate to listen to. Her phrasing is perfect and her songwriting , (when she's not pandering to 5 yr olds), is spectacular. She really knows her way round a story and a pop song and if you listen on headphones some of the production it utterly stellar. I don't see the need to rip other pop girls down to give Madonna more height. Did Madonna teach us nothing? She's the best Periodt. It's not a zero sum game. 

It's incredibly interesting to see how each fan sees Madonna, her success and her relationship to other female pop singers, but so rarely interesting to hear how new pop acts use Madonna as a point of reference. Of course Madonna will always be the one to emulate as her global influence is unprecedented, and now unsurpassable. However, for every pop bitch that has come and gone since Madonna arrived on the cultural landscape there has been the same reaction in the fanbase! And this one will disappear like all the others because the material is mediocre and the singer doesn't come from an organic synergy of originality, creativity or rebellion. These pop singers are manufactured placeholders. The gays love a dance floor diva, and Due Lipa's tunes are decent, but completely lacking in uniqueness! At this point the pandering to the pink dollar is no more than an integral part of a business plan. Madonna didn't go after anyone's money; she happened, and made a lot of coin as a result of the magic she created. You can fabricate pop music, but it doesn't have legs if it doesn't mean anything.

As for Madonna's peak, how arrogant to state that she reached her plateau of success in her 40's! I presume she is referring to Ray Of Light, which was actually recorded and released when Madonna was still in her 30's (39 to be precise). If we are talking Madonna's commercial peak, then indeed @TonyMontanais correct. 1987 was just that. Her singles and albums were selling massively without her needing to do almost any promotion. She was a teen idol! If we are talking her cultural peak, I'd say 1990 is an easy contender, but I'd venture as far as to question if 1992 wasn't truly her peak as she had become such a global socio-cultural catalyst that her vagina was more talked about than her music! If we are talking artistically, one could argue that Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light, Music or Madame X were her peak. Personally, I think Madonna is such a vibrant force of nature that she never peaks. You cannot experience anything she does now without taking into consideration everything she has done before, and while that might not interest as many people as it did twenty or thirty years ago, it packs an unprecedented punch. 

IMHO...Madonna did peak in 1987 in terms of mainstream acceptance and being “cool” to the kids. 
1990 was her peak in terms of creativity and social influence. Everyone had a strong opinion about her.

1998, 2000 and 2005 were awesome revivals but not her peak moments.

About Dua Lipa, her music is fun but she needs to step up her live shows big time. I almost cringed during her iHeart Radio performance.