So Prince is releasing another deluxe album ?

wtg1987

Regarding re-issues from Madonna:
I read somewhere that Warner approached Madonna for a 25th anniversary box edition of Erotica, and she said yes.

Unfortunately she asked for more money than they were willing to pay her, so it fell through.

It's a shame, really. Deluxe editions would expose her music to new fans, please most of her old fans and it would make her millions (just imagine how much Prince's estate is cashing in on att these re-issues. SOOT isn't even out yet, and they are already working on the next deluxe)

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/prince-archivist-michael-howe-talks-sde-through-sign-o-the-times-bonus-cuts/

Guest Nobody Knows Me
39 minutes ago, Celebration said:

I read somewhere that Warner approached Madonna for a 25th anniversary box edition of Erotica, and she said yes.

Unfortunately she asked for more money than they were willing to pay her, so it fell through.

I read somewhere they were planning a 30th anniversary box edition of True Blue as well but that also never saw the light of day. I really is such a shame. 

11 hours ago, clkelley39 said:

Still no Freddie/Jacksons version of "State Of Shock" though. :(

Yes there is a Freddie/Jacksons version of State Of Shock in demo form.

Only song that has never been released from their sessions is the title track of the Jacksons Victory album.

Side note this should not be in Madonna news and discussion because it's not Madonna related at all.

I would literally live off bread and water if they released box sets like this for her first album, Like A Prayer, Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Ray Of Light, Confessions, Hard Candy.

I still think it's crazy how none of her albums have had the remastered expanded deluxe treatment. I want all her albums released with all the outtakes, demos, alternate versions, edits, remixes in one place. I'm tired of trying to download all the different demos out there etc...

She should do it now whilst she's still alive and reep the rewards from it, at this stage I'd prefer this than a new album. The Prince releases are amazing and I'm a huge fan of his, but I somehow feel bad buying them after his passing.

It will be the same with Madonna, if all this stuff is released after she is no longer with us it's a little bittersweet and I'd rather her be involved with it all and not have some label damaging her legacy and making all the cash from it.

Hopefully one day we will get these and the tours in blu-ray :pray:

4 hours ago, Celebration said:

What is the source of that info? It actually sounds very plausible that these are the types of reasons these things don’t happen.

4 hours ago, Celebration said:

It's a shame, really. Deluxe editions would expose her music to new fans, please most of her old fans and it would make her millions (just imagine how much Prince's estate is cashing in on att these re-issues. SOOT isn't even out yet, and they are already working on the next deluxe)

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/prince-archivist-michael-howe-talks-sde-through-sign-o-the-times-bonus-cuts/

thanks! Just read the article

you know, I would love it if M had a shelved/abandoned album (or 2) that came to be released later on; or maybe there was one album's worth of songs in those Bedtime Stories sessions with all the many producers she worked with back then , I'd love to listen to some of those songs too (if any), I feel she might have plenty of songs we don't even know about

On 6/25/2020 at 6:59 PM, gafuller said:

I’m glad his music is more accessible but I know this not what he would want. His catalogue is being mined for all its worth and it’s sad. There’s compilations everywhere for him and Bowie. I pray Madonna’s is handled well when she leaves the scene. Hopefully she will leave the rights to it all to Lourdes and David. I don’t trust Rocco... to be honest.

I dont know about this.  So BEFORE he died he cut a deal with WB to give him his masters back and in return he was going to use WB for future releases starting with a special project for Purple Rain - he remastered the album himself along with some of his original producers.  I dont know if theres any prince experts on here but he died right after he had finished re-producing that album so it was put on hold for about a year or so and then released as a deluxe that included a ton of remixes from that time period as well as b-sides, demos etc.  I have no idea if the b-sides and remixes were princes idea or not but the project was already moving forward.  They have released one new similar project every year since with 1999 after and now Sign.  Makes me think, atleast with Purple, he was working on something special and maybe he had planned to do all of these?  The remastering was so well done on purple rain.  My only gripe is the pricing.

12 minutes ago, AModSquad said:

I dont know about this.  So BEFORE he died he cut a deal with WB to give him his masters back and in return he was going to use WB for future releases starting with a special project for Purple Rain - he remastered the album himself along with some of his original producers.  I dont know if theres any prince experts on here but he died right after he had finished re-producing that album so it was put on hold for about a year or so and then released as a deluxe that included a ton of remixes from that time period as well as b-sides, demos etc.  I have no idea if the b-sides and remixes were princes idea or not but the project was already moving forward.  They have released one new similar project every year since with 1999 after and now Sign.  Makes me think, atleast with Purple, he was working on something special and maybe he had planned to do all of these?  The remastering was so well done on purple rain.  My only gripe is the pricing.

I’m sure he planned it all but I personally believe it wouldn’t have been as good with his involvement. The artists tend to block certain unreleased demos and things from being included as they are perfectionists. I really think the people putting these packages together are doing a brilliant job though. Anything of this caliber for Madonna would be a dream come true.

Yeah there’s something in that. Madonnas version of a rerelease wouldn’t be as compelling as a fan curators versions.

Fans know the shit the other fans want. Madonna wants what she wants and that’s great but it doesn’t always make for a good comprehensive collection.

GHV2 being the prime example. 
Utterly pointless collection with holes all over it. 

While I understand part of the logic of leaving ballads that were on Something To Remember off it still made for such an uneven collection.

Her pettiness over American Pie being punished for being put on Music is peak Trolldonna. 
The song was a bloody smash woman. It’s called Greatest Hits Version 2 not Madonnas grudge list. 
Sometimes she’s the worst. 

On 6/26/2020 at 2:59 AM, gafuller said:

I’m glad his music is more accessible but I know this not what he would want. His catalogue is being mined for all its worth and it’s sad. There’s compilations everywhere for him and Bowie. I pray Madonna’s is handled well when she leaves the scene. Hopefully she will leave the rights to it all to Lourdes and David. I don’t trust Rocco... to be honest.

I think if Prince had not wanted his unreleased recordings to be heard, he would have destroyed them. I personally believe it was all part of his masterplan. As a prolific songwriter who had music pouring out of him i think he lost interest in his recordings very quickly and like madonna had little interest in going back and revisiting stuff. He knew that the music was great and too good not to be heard so figured when he was gone, someone - his family - would take it upon themselves to ensure his fans heard it.

Im also of the camp of people who believes prince was partially responsible for so much of his unreleased stuff leaking as bootlegs down the years. He knew this added a huge element of intrigue and obsession for his fans, so it was in his interest for his fans to be able to hear and collect this stuff.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I’m sure he planned it all but I personally believe it wouldn’t have been as good with his involvement. The artists tend to block certain unreleased demos and things from being included as they are perfectionists. I really think the people putting these packages together are doing a brilliant job though. Anything of this caliber for Madonna would be a dream come true.

Agreed. Madonna has no interest in doing a retrospective. she is forward thinking and has (somewhat naively) believed that respect for the quality of her output over the years would simply be cemented in the eyes of future generations - but unfortunately that shit needs promoting to people who have never heard it, otherwise it will be forgotten. 

The reason these Prince deluxe sets are so brilliant are that they bring together his unreleased stuff, remastered work, edits & b-sides, and live performances, in one brilliantly put together package, by fans.

Madonna could do something very similar. She doesnt have the extensive vault that prince has, but she must have between 5-10 unreleased tracks & b-sides per album, tons of excellent remixes (something prince never really had), brilliantly crafted and unique live shows for each album, extensive photo shoots and looks. There is definitely a box set package for each era for sure.

1 hour ago, Crozzauk said:

I think if Prince had not wanted his unreleased recordings to be heard, he would have destroyed them.

Yes exactly. Plus on many occasions he resurrected demos from the past and reworked them. I think he just created such a large volume of music he couldn’t realistically release it all. Especially in the 80’s. He did not necessarily want to trash all that unreleased stuff because some of it is quite good.

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

Yeah there’s something in that. Madonnas version of a rerelease wouldn’t be as compelling as a fan curators versions.

Fans know the shit the other fans want. Madonna wants what she wants and that’s great but it doesn’t always make for a good comprehensive collection.

GHV2 being the prime example. 
Utterly pointless collection with holes all over it. 

While I understand part of the logic of leaving ballads that were on Something To Remember off it still made for such an uneven collection.

Her pettiness over American Pie being punished for being put on Music is peak Trolldonna. 
The song was a bloody smash woman. It’s called Greatest Hits Version 2 not Madonnas grudge list. 
Sometimes she’s the worst. 

Also ‘Liquid Love’ would have been great as a new song on that album. It’s one of the few unreleased tracks that deserved a release.

She’s had plenty of opportunities to release legacy stuff but still we get nothing - I don’t believe that LAP cd / dvd box set was ever a genuine release and I think it was just a rumour hyped by fans - pretty cruel if you ask me 

Going back to Prince though - I know he’s recorded a lot of songs that never made his albums but I still think he was much more about quantity over quality and I don’t think he would have wanted all these songs released- I have all his special edition cd box sets and I can honestly say most of the unreleased stuff is pretty mediocre - I mean I think he’s a musical genius and performer ( he’s in my top 3 fave icons ) and I think the estate are doing a great job with all these releases - I’m more excited in getting in concerts remastered for dvd as up until now most are in very poor quality ( nude tour and parade tours are the worst ) the CDs to me are just filler for the most part 

36 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

She’s had plenty of opportunities to release legacy stuff but still we get nothing - I don’t believe that LAP cd / dvd box set was ever a genuine release and I think it was just a rumour hyped by fans - pretty cruel if you ask me 

Going back to Prince though - I know he’s recorded a lot of songs that never made his albums but I still think he was much more about quantity over quality and I don’t think he would have wanted all these songs released- I have all his special edition cd box sets and I can honestly say most of the unreleased stuff is pretty mediocre - I mean I think he’s a musical genius and performer ( he’s in my top 3 fave icons ) and I think the estate are doing a great job with all these releases - I’m more excited in getting in concerts remastered for dvd as up until now most are in very poor quality ( nude tour and parade tours are the worst ) the CDs to me are just filler for the most part 

absolutely, I don't think he'd want all of those tracks out, either because they were not up to his standard or bc he felt they weren't totally finished or lacked production or something like that; however, I do like that all of the material's getting released in the sense that fans will get a more complete sense of what he was working on

Prince didn't want all those tracks out there because he wasn't done with them yet. Anyone who follows Prince knows that his release timeline is so fractured. 

for example on the new album there is a 1979 version of I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man. 

The first public appearance of this was in 1987 on the Sign O The Times album. Thats nearly a decade later. 

That's just one example.  There are sooo Many

Prince wasn't daft. He knew when he was in his hugely prolific mid 80's era and was creating pure gold. that he could potentially bank on those unreleased songs for future projects if the well ran dry. The well never did run dry in terms of production rate but the quality of the material certainly lessensed over the years, I think a big part of his commercial demise was probably to do with not having access to all those vault songs he recorded during his time with Warner. If you record anything during the period you are under contract with the label, they own it. Once his deal ended badly he basically had to start afresh as I understand it. No wonder he felt like he was a slave. 

On 6/26/2020 at 2:24 PM, clkelley39 said:

You know that the Queen/MJ version of "There Must Be More To Life Than This" got released a few years ago, right? MJ's estate only allowed the William Orbit remix to be released, and vetoed the original version.

Still no Freddie/Jacksons version of "State Of Shock" though. :(

Yes, I did.
There's demos that both sing all the way through as well.
Could that have been the hold-ups with his Estate.
i.e. Who'd sing the first verse etc ?
State Of Shock I've heard but it's on a long dead hdd in mp3.
On a Queen site it said The Plan...was to have one song on each others albums.
And an EP with all 3.
Victory, AFAICMO is the one even some Queen fans haven't heard.
Like Madge the whole lots been 'shared' but only to the chosen few.

12 hours ago, steady75 said:

Prince didn't want all those tracks out there because he wasn't done with them yet. Anyone who follows Prince knows that his release timeline is so fractured. 

for example on the new album there is a 1979 version of I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man. 

The first public appearance of this was in 1987 on the Sign O The Times album. Thats nearly a decade later. 

That's just one example.  There are sooo Many

Prince wasn't daft. He knew when he was in his hugely prolific mid 80's era and was creating pure gold. that he could potentially bank on those unreleased songs for future projects if the well ran dry. The well never did run dry in terms of production rate but the quality of the material certainly lessensed over the years, I think a big part of his commercial demise was probably to do with not having access to all those vault songs he recorded during his time with Warner. If you record anything during the period you are under contract with the label, they own it. Once his deal ended badly he basically had to start afresh as I understand it. No wonder he felt like he was a slave. 

Have you seen the photos of his actual Vault online ?
It is crammed from floor to ceiling with tapes upon tapes.
Even he forgot the password.