So Prince is releasing another deluxe album ?

wtg1987

On 6/27/2020 at 2:54 AM, Crozzauk said:

I think if Prince had not wanted his unreleased recordings to be heard, he would have destroyed them. I personally believe it was all part of his masterplan. As a prolific songwriter who had music pouring out of him i think he lost interest in his recordings very quickly and like madonna had little interest in going back and revisiting stuff. He knew that the music was great and too good not to be heard so figured when he was gone, someone - his family - would take it upon themselves to ensure his fans heard it.

Im also of the camp of people who believes prince was partially responsible for so much of his unreleased stuff leaking as bootlegs down the years. He knew this added a huge element of intrigue and obsession for his fans, so it was in his interest for his fans to be able to hear and collect this stuff.

Exactly - he wanted all that stuff to see the light of day eventually. I think that's why he didn't leave specific instructions for it upon death.

And yes, I also think he leaked some of it. If you ever read his Rolling Stone interview from 1985, the interviewer says that Prince drove him around town playing cassettes of unreleased music. 

Prince was worse at honouring his own legacy than Madonna.

What he wanted when he was alive was NONE of his old music available on streaming, none of his old music videos on YouTube and legal action being taken against his own fans. The fact is the way his back catalogue is being handled since his death is FAR better than when he was alive. You can’t really fault the job they are doing imo. And it’s obvious there is so much more to come.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Prince was worse at honouring his own legacy than Madonna.

What he wanted when he was alive was NONE of his old music available on streaming, none of his old music videos on YouTube and legal action being taken against his own fans. The fact is the way his back catalogue is being handled since his death is FAR better than when he was alive. You can’t really fault the job they are doing imo. And it’s obvious there is so much more to come.

i get what you are saying because as fans we want everything we can get our hands on from the artist.  but is it really fair to say someone like Prince and Madonna is de-servicing their legacy by not releasing things up to our individual standards? i see Prince as an artist that has a vision in how people should access his music. it is his work so he has the right to decide how people access. yes, i agree it may seem crazy to think an artist wouldnt utilize a form of media that can reach more people but i always thought of Prince more of a performance artist. he was someone who enjoyed to share his music through performance. i dont think he like to conform to the normal ways of releasing music. 

i think of what Tom Petty once said when he felt that he was forced to make videos in the early 80's or lose his career. he was bothered that radio artists had to now make videos. he knew he wasnt terribly attractive and was quite insecure about it all. fortunately for him, he use it to his advantage and got more creative about it, by turning his videos into these little movies. the point is; there are some artists who have a vision of how they want to present their work

with Madonna, I never felt she was interested in presenting any unfinished work and that she has pretty much stuck too. since the internet, we have leaks, so we as fans can enjoy the unfinished work. what we see might be even better than what was released isn't "better" to her. i am sure if you think about it; it is a matter of Madonna knows the story behind the unfinished track. she notices some sort of flaw that we might not. i know it can be subjective, but in the end its her art so i have to respect how she prefers to present it, just like i respect how Prince wanted to present his music. neither Madonna or Prince ever seem to be that sort of artist that conforms with what the music industry expected of them. they always presented it their way.

36 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I wonder if MJ’s camp is taking notes.

I think MJ and his team have mined the most of his unreleased songs haven’t they ? All that’s missing now is a tonne of video work including a widescreen remastered Captain EO , Ghosts , his complete videography and some history concerts 

22 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

i get what you are saying because as fans we want everything we can get our hands on from the artist.  but is it really fair to say someone like Prince and Madonna is de-servicing their legacy by not releasing things up to our individual standards? i see Prince as an artist that has a vision in how people should access his music. it is his work so he has the right to decide how people access. yes, i agree it may seem crazy to think an artist wouldnt utilize a form of media that can reach more people but i always thought of Prince more of a performance artist. he was someone who enjoyed to share his music through performance. i dont think he like to conform to the normal ways of releasing music. 

i think of what Tom Petty once said when he felt that he was forced to make videos in the early 80's or lose his career. he was bothered that radio artists had to now make videos. he knew he wasnt terribly attractive and was quite insecure about it all. fortunately for him, he use it to his advantage and got more creative about it, by turning his videos into these little movies. the point is; there are some artists who have a vision of how they want to present their work

with Madonna, I never felt she was interested in presenting any unfinished work and that she has pretty much stuck too. since the internet, we have leaks, so we as fans can enjoy the unfinished work. what we see might be even better than what was released isn't "better" to her. i am sure if you think about it; it is a matter of Madonna knows the story behind the unfinished track. she notices some sort of flaw that we might not. i know it can be subjective, but in the end its her art so i have to respect how she prefers to present it, just like i respect how Prince wanted to present his music. neither Madonna or Prince ever seem to be that sort of artist that conforms with what the music industry expected of them. they always presented it their way.

this is so true, something which a lot of M fans can't get their heads around to

Guest Nobody Knows Me
33 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I completely agree. I know I’ve said there are a lot of things I’d like to see and some of those things can be shared with other fans, however I also understand that if it were something she personally didn’t wish to do, I completely respect that. It’s safe to say she’s a very unconventional artist and that’s something I’ve always admired about her.

Jacko has shit loads of stuff from invincible onwards I believe. I think they’d probably mined most of the stuff from the 80’s and 90’s but I believe he was very prolific in the 00’s before his death. I don’t think any of that has been released apart from the 12 tracks on Michael. Which were mostly shite. 

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

Jacko has shit loads of stuff from invincible onwards I believe. I think they’d probably mined most of the stuff from the 80’s and 90’s but I believe he was very prolific in the 00’s before his death. I don’t think any of that has been released apart from the 12 tracks on Michael. Which were mostly shite. 

Invincible is probably his worst album imo so whatever is in the archives from this era they can keep to be honest - let’s face it he wasn’t in a good place early 2000s from a creative perspective 

I just want his videos remastered to blu ray and also maybe another pro shot tour from the bad tour plus captain EO remastered - I think Disney owns that though so no way we will get it anyway ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 11:50 PM, steady75 said:

If you record anything during the period you are under contract with the label, they own it. Once his deal ended badly he basically had to start afresh as I understand it. No wonder he felt like he was a slave. 

No, I don't think that's necessarily the case. There are deals in which the artists owns the recordings, and certainly own the copyright to the composition. Prince recorded lots of songs during his time with Warner that he later released, or re-recorded. A lot of his Crystal Ball album was recorded during the Warner years, and it was released in 1998, at the height of his feud with them. Then you have songs like "Extraloveable" which was recorded in 1983, then re-recorded and released in 2011 & 2013. Who knows what other ones there may be. 

Also, one commenter mentioned Prince participating in the remastering of Purple Rain before he died, and inferring that therefore he must've approved of the expanded edition. My opinion is that he did not approve. He did approve of the remastering of the album for it's 30th anniversary in 2014, but it still hadn't been released by the time he died in 2016. My assumption is that he was squabbling with Warner that whole time about expanding the album. I imagined they wanted to add bonus tracks and he only wanted to release a remaster, and probably insisted on it being of a certain technical quality that they wouldn't support. Remember when he did that Facebook AMA and the only question he answered was about sample rates?

16 hours ago, clkelley39 said:

No, I don't think that's necessarily the case. There are deals in which the artists owns the recordings, and certainly own the copyright to the composition. Prince recorded lots of songs during his time with Warner that he later released, or re-recorded. A lot of his Crystal Ball album was recorded during the Warner years, and it was released in 1998, at the height of his feud with them. Then you have songs like "Extraloveable" which was recorded in 1983, then re-recorded and released in 2011 & 2013. Who knows what other ones there may be. 

Also, one commenter mentioned Prince participating in the remastering of Purple Rain before he died, and inferring that therefore he must've approved of the expanded edition. My opinion is that he did not approve. He did approve of the remastering of the album for it's 30th anniversary in 2014, but it still hadn't been released by the time he died in 2016. My assumption is that he was squabbling with Warner that whole time about expanding the album. I imagined they wanted to add bonus tracks and he only wanted to release a remaster, and probably insisted on it being of a certain technical quality that they wouldn't support. Remember when he did that Facebook AMA and the only question he answered was about sample rates?

I read somewhere Warner thought about suing Prince for the "Crystal Ball" compilation (most of the material technically was theirs) but they didn't in the end cause it wasn't worth it considering how many copies it sold.

And yes, all Prince approved for the "Purple Rain" Deluxe Edition was the remaster, made in Paisley Park. That's why Warner didn't release anything until he passed away, and then they added all the unreleased tracks etc.

There’s no way to deny Madonna has a shocking attitude towards her legacy which is so sad because she must see the joy in her fans eyes and responses whether it’s a rare song performed or mentioned on that ill fated instagram. From the past few tours you’d think Madonna has only ever released three or four albums. Although on a positive note, thank f**k she did start to remember the Erotica album even if it was just to hear Erotica again and to watch fan videos of Deeper & Deeper, because the DVD version makes me think I might suffer from vertigo.

One issue for me, perhaps it’s more to do with the logistics, her love of filters and millisecond cuts/jumps, effects or copyright [or just her ego]but I am sure there are ways around it, for the thee ultimate material girl not to have realised the opportunity to allow fans to buy a DVD of the concert they have just attended shocks me that she and especially Guy appear not to look at or attempt to see how they could do this and think of the extra money they’d make.

1 hour ago, alanuk said:

From the past few tours you’d think Madonna has only ever released three or four albums.

I don’t know, the Rebel Heart Tour felt like a greatest hits tour to me. She played LOTS of old songs including many of the biggest hits, she recycled a lot of old looks/themes, and went to lots of cities she usually doesn’t go to. 

55 minutes ago, clkelley39 said:

I don’t know, the Rebel Heart Tour felt like a greatest hits tour to me. She played LOTS of old songs including many of the biggest hits, she recycled a lot of old looks/themes, and went to lots of cities she usually doesn’t go to. 

Yes, I would agree with you there. One of my fav tours, from the unexpected oldies either in setlist or performed unexpectedly and just her general happiness and interaction made this rank high up there for me. Plus I loved the album (and especially the demo/leaked album too.)

On 7/2/2020 at 3:34 AM, wtg1987 said:

I think MJ and his team have mined the most of his unreleased songs haven’t they ? All that’s missing now is a tonne of video work including a widescreen remastered Captain EO , Ghosts , his complete videography and some history concerts 

Yes I think so too. There is some stuff that is leaked though that is good that has not been released. So I assume they will eventually do anniversary rereleases of Dangerous, History and probably Thriller again. And the History tour. But they definitely have a lot less to work with than Prince.

Btw they already did a DVD set with all his videos.

20 hours ago, alanuk said:

One issue for me, perhaps it’s more to do with the logistics, her love of filters and millisecond cuts/jumps, effects or copyright [or just her ego]but I am sure there are ways around it, for the thee ultimate material girl not to have realised the opportunity to allow fans to buy a DVD of the concert they have just attended shocks me that she and especially Guy appear not to look at or attempt to see how they could do this and think of the extra money they’d make.

Tori Amos did something similar to this years ago on her American Doll Posse tour, she made recordings of all the shows available for fans to purchase.... and prior to this, she made select shows available on CD for her Original Sinsuality tour. I recall that Goldfrapp did something similar. Madonna really doesn't realise the goldmine that she has if she made her live recordings available to the fans... fans love to have recordings of shows they attended.... be it audio or video

On 6/29/2020 at 8:36 PM, Blue Jean said:

He obviously knew stuff would get released after he died. That’s why he left it in his will to his siblings or whoever. He even made a comment about it once.

He DIDNT leave a will.  Im wondering if there are any jehovah's witnesses in the group that could share if this has anything to do with rules of the religion?

Like I dont think any of his family were Jehovahs and from what i remember learning when I was studying the religion in school, they really arent supposed to socialize with or be with any non-believers.  I assume this would mean he probably cant enrich them either but maybe im overthinking it and he just forgot to create a will to distribute his millions appropriately.

His only full sister is in charge of his releases, along with some "fans" she has hired to help consult on these releases that are coming out AND with the upcoming "Sign o the Times" release she's having the original producer re-master it.  These are beautiful releases.

17 hours ago, PWCCA said:

Tori Amos did something similar to this years ago on her American Doll Posse tour, she made recordings of all the shows available for fans to purchase.... and prior to this, she made select shows available on CD for her Original Sinsuality tour. I recall that Goldfrapp did something similar. Madonna really doesn't realise the goldmine that she has if she made her live recordings available to the fans... fans love to have recordings of shows they attended.... be it audio or video

soooo I love Tori and it makes sense that Tori would release a ton of shows from the same "tour" because she sings "live" and she doesnt pre-program, pre-record her shows so if you bought 2 nights from the same tour, you can actually expect nunances in her voice and very different setlists. 

With M its tricky - do her "live" albums actually consist of all live vocals from that specific show she claims its from or are they they the pre-recorded live vocals that we end up getting demo's and leaks of eventually that they slap audience claps to?  I would say M live albums from the Girlie Show going back to the Virgin tour could be exciting.  Anything after is essentially auto-tuned, pre-recorded and so on.  While the track list will be the same, atleast with the old shows shes really singing live and so listening to her unique vocals per show can be fun.

On 7/26/2020 at 10:51 AM, PWCCA said:

Which really shocks me, or doesn’t. Either it’s been suggested and either her or Guy have said no - which I doubt because both of them love making money. Or she really doesn’t have a clue how much fans would pay for such things and love it!

On 7/31/2020 at 7:54 AM, alanuk said:

Which really shocks me, or doesn’t. Either it’s been suggested and either her or Guy have said no - which I doubt because both of them love making money. Or she really doesn’t have a clue how much fans would pay for such things and love it!

I think it boils down to her not being confident about live recordings that haven't been edited and mastered to sound as pristine as possible. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2020 at 10:05 PM, Fighter said:

I think it boils down to her not being confident about live recordings that haven't been edited and mastered to sound as pristine as possible. 

Exactly. She is too much a perfectionist to do that sort of thing.

Ariana did a cool thing where she released the audio of her tour right when the tour ended. Madonna could definitely do that if she wanted to.