Please help me analyze verse in God Control

LikeAMelody

I am mainly obsessed with what is being said in a song and it's meaning for me as a listener. I often feel very strong about my interpretations but I do question myself. 

I would love to hear other member's intepretation of these specific lines in God Control: 

"People think that I'm insane
The only gun is in my brain
Each new birth, it gives me hope
That's why I don't smoke that dope
Insane people think I am
Brain inside, my only friend
Hope it gives me birth each new
That dope I don't smoke, it's true"

I guess what she's trying to say is that the overall narrative keeps telling her that there's no problem with gun control and that everything is OK. There doesn't need to be change. People just keep telling her she's 'insane' for thinking that there's a pressing need for immediate change or any change at all.

She says each 'new birth' reassures her that this isn't the case (whatever 'each new birth' is? a discussion, a reinvention, a thought process?) before she goes into a sort of soliloquy - cementing the fact that she is one with her thoughts, which give her the chance of 'a birth each new' (a new perspective, a different perspective, a perspective that isn't considered one with the 'people'). The 'dope' she doesn't smoke is more than likely the belief of a dangerous majority that gun control doesn't need fixing. Her own independent opinion helps her to see that there is danger with everyone thinking that there isn't and/or ignoring it blatantly.

That's my take on it anyway. Always interesting to see what others think too.

31 minutes ago, azrael said:

I guess what she's trying to say is that the overall narrative keeps telling her that there's no problem with gun control and that everything is OK. There doesn't need to be change. People just keep telling her she's 'insane' for thinking that there's a pressing need for immediate change or any change at all.

She says each 'new birth' reassures her that this isn't the case (whatever 'each new birth' is? a discussion, a reinvention, a thought process?) before she goes into a sort of soliloquy - cementing the fact that she is one with her thoughts, which give her the chance of 'a birth each new' (a new perspective, a different perspective, a perspective that isn't considered one with the 'people'). The 'dope' she doesn't smoke is more than likely the belief of a dangerous majority that gun control doesn't need fixing. Her own independent opinion helps her to see that there is danger with everyone thinking that there isn't and/or ignoring it blatantly.

That's my take on it anyway. Always interesting to see what others think too.

I lose a bit of the narrative when this verse comes on but I believe you are accurate with people thinking she's "insane" for thinking there is a problem. For me it goes into the general for most of my thoughts when I get reactions or non reactions to what I write or think. 

The new birth for me is "learning." and the dope for me is actual drugs. One of the reasons I have never taken drugs apart from an occasional drink is that I have always felt the brain I have is literally my only friend and I have felt that Madonna has thought that through her life as well. It also helps for me that she says it in a "cheeky" way. 

I like your assessment of the "dope" as the rhetoric spoken by gun rights advocates and that she is indeed thinking critically while they choose to ignore the problem. 

This pulls me back into the narrative of the song. 

I think the dope she is referring to is the general idea about guns - majority thinking they are ok.  Like for example, in the U.S., gun owners see no issue with owning or carrying guns.  Many think the acts of violence *mass shootings etc* has nothing to do with guns and that it is all in our heads.  They think it is just a random crazy person who suddenly loses it.  She doesn't smoke that dope,  she doesn't believe that, in other words she doesn't buy into that naive thinking and refusal to change.

2 hours ago, LikeAMelody said:

I am mainly obsessed with what is being said in a song and it's meaning for me as a listener. I often feel very strong about my interpretations but I do question myself. 

I would love to hear other member's intepretation of these specific lines in God Control: 

"People think that I'm insane
Insane people think I am

"People think that I'm insane"

Gun supporters, avid second amendment enthusiasts and those who use the argument who say "Guns don't kill people" who argue against repeals, banning and gun control proposed legislation and use the crazy liberal/taking away my rights. The criticism people receive for it.

"The only gun is in my brain"

Basically, we decide to keep them in circulation and to keep perpetuating the ongoing violence going on as long as they are available, capable of stopping it but don't, thus the gun we all possess responsible for blood on our hands by not doing more.

"Each new birth, it gives me hope

Each new birth that possibly that person may be the one to push new reform, changes or a movement that will stick and stop the madness and carnage we witness.

"That's why I don't smoke that dope"

She doesn't view it as a lost cause that we should shelter, implement measures to make ourselves fearful as put by the NRA and being at the mercy of weapons but still keeping glimmers of hope that things will change and she doesn't drink the Kool-Aid.

The rest is basically is a play on words of the first verses but in TL:DR fashion:

People think she's insane for wanting to implement change along with others who voice the same sentiments due to loving guns, strong Constitutionalists, when it isn't impossible. We are all capable of doing the same thing but can stop it but don't. With every new person born, there's hope that this person may be the one to change things thus she doesn't give into the fearmongering pushed that gun control or limitations isn't impossible or unattainable. 

3 hours ago, Levon said:

The song shows Madonna's double moral: When it comes to the security of her family and herself, guns are quite acceptable for her. There are enough articles about her armed bodyguards.

alexander-wang-show-new-york-fashion-week-usa-shutterstock-editorial-5895627gm.jpg

i never felt Madonna was against responsible gun ownership and/or people having protection. it is ridiculous to think a high profile person would not have security who have guns. I think like most people she just wants more responsibility behind gun usage and ownership. 

People think that I'm insane

People think that her views on guns are crazy

I think as an artist, she views her brain and thoughts as a weapon

constantly moving forward in life, becoming better, changing with the times

I think literally, that's why she doesn't smoke weed... it makes you complacent and fogs your judgement

Insane people think I am

she's saying the same thing as line 1 jumbled, but also labels the "other" as insane this time

her clear minded brain is what helps her navigate this world and is her only friend

(in the video Madonna at the typewriter is her brain, frantically typing to try and save Discodonna from being shot)

again, the line is a jumbled version of the 3rd line, giving a slightly different meaning

jumbled 4th line meaning roughly the same thing

51 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

People think that I'm insane

People think that her views on guns are crazy

I think as an artist, she views her brain and thoughts as a weapon

constantly moving forward in life, becoming better, changing with the times

I think literally, that's why she doesn't smoke weed... it makes you complacent and fogs your judgement

Insane people think I am

she's saying the same thing as line 1 jumbled, but also labels the "other" as insane this time

her clear minded brain is what helps her navigate this world and is her only friend

(in the video Madonna at the typewriter is her brain, frantically typing to try and save Discodonna from being shot)

again, the line is a jumbled version of the 3rd line, giving a slightly different meaning

jumbled 4th line meaning roughly the same thing

over all, i think you nailed it. though i am sure if we asked her point blank, she may give us something different. it is possible that we might be reading more into it or possibly not interpreting the way she does. but i am sure she prefers it that way since she likes that her lyrics creates discussion and multiple interpretations. 

not sure if you intended that the "dope" lines really have anything to do with drugs. personally, i think it is an analogy in being complacent (as you stated), not allowing whatever to distort one's mind or not following what everyone else does.  

well in America when you say "I don't smoke that dope" it means that you just don't go for that -whatever "that" may be, could be anything- , same as saying I don't drink that KoolAid or I don't believe in that; something along those lines , so yeah an analogy like the one @Gilbert mentioned

32 minutes ago, Ian said:

well in America when you say "I don't smoke that dope" it means that you just don't go for that -whatever "that" may be, could be anything- , same as saying I don't drink that KoolAid or I don't believe in that; something along those lines , so yeah an analogy like the one @Gilbert mentioned

hmmm, Ive never heard anyone say that. Maybe it's an old school term? 

I'd take the birth lyric more literally. She is talking about getting the kids ready and taking them to school before. A school where they may never come back from after some mass shooting. So each new birth, every new child coming to this world, gives her hope that their story, their school years might be different and free of fear. That's why she won't smoke that dope and shut up about all that's going on.

7 hours ago, thelioncourtheart_ said:

And you picked my particular post why exactly?

It was just the starting point for my contribution. I didn't mean to offend you.

I just wanted to point out that Madonna's behavior is often contradictory, as in the case of God/Gun Control. She has often expressed her ambiguous relationship with weapons and knows that weapons in the right hands are not dangerous, but can ensure safety. All this should be taken into consideration, when analyzing the song lyrics. The written words seem to me like an emotional and confusing snapshot, but are in my opinion not really thought-out.

Edited by Levon (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Levon said:

The song shows Madonna's double moral: When it comes to the security of her family and herself, guns are quite acceptable for her. There are enough articles about her armed bodyguards.

alexander-wang-show-new-york-fashion-week-usa-shutterstock-editorial-5895627gm.jpg

There is a difference between someone dealing with real circumstances and paranoia. Fear can make someone accept things in their life they do not want or support. I think she would rather not have them around her. 

Paranoia and a toxic mentality has made people treat guns like they are a family member. How many of those guys walking around with their guns are truly afraid beyond what they make up in their own head? 

I think it’s a great lyric. The meaning is very well disguised making you use your head. But it completely turns me off the song. I love the beat, it’s probably one of my better favs of the album. But I just can’t play it lol. That part comes on and people are like “the f*ck is that she sayin”. I’ve had to make an edit of that part cut out sadly. But I really do like the meaning behind it. That’s all.

25 minutes ago, Andymad said:

I think it’s a great lyric. The meaning is very well disguised making you use your head. But it completely turns me off the song. I love the beat, it’s probably one of my better favs of the album. But I just can’t play it lol. That part comes on and people are like “the f*ck is that she sayin”. I’ve had to make an edit of that part cut out sadly. But I really do like the meaning behind it. That’s all.

Huh

• 2 weeks later...

"People think that I'm insane" is a follow-up to "This is your wake-up call", she sees herself as a whistle blower, and she feels lonely ("my only friend"). Not the most interesting or relevant bit.

Then "the only gun is in my brain" explains why she said before "I think I understand why people get a gun". She acknowledges the urge to pick up a gun and shoot, but she doesn't do it, it only happens in her head, she's in control.

That's why she never says "gun control" in the song even though is all about it. She doesn't have to, she's ok with it. She's not the one who's insane, it's the others, those who are not in control, who are insane. Like her relationship with god, she's not killing people for the sake of her faith. It's all in her "brain", her intellect, more probably her "inner self" (it's just a fair use of the word, rhyming with "insane").

She hopes the next generation will not "smoke that dope" like her, meaning they will not get high on guns and lose their priorities, because "a new democracy" needs "god" control.

It has nothing to do with weed or drugs, it's a metaphor.

It's a pacifist song. A disco pacifist song.

On 6/27/2020 at 4:23 PM, Levon said:

It's one thing to carry a gun when you had appropriate training and it's part of your job (police, military, security) and quite another to be able to purchase a semi automatic weapon along with your groceries, with no background checks, no mental health evaluation, etc in order to shoot random people. I'm not sure how Madonna's message is confusing in this matter. 

• 10 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 11:40 AM, Andymad said:

I think @Shoful should see this and judge you for what you are.