Sign in to follow this  
SuperBicycle

Why did Japanese Maxi Singles stop?

Hi everyone, I am a fairly new collector to Madonna, after being a fan for so many years and developing a little collection without even really thinking about it.

As I have spent a lot of time in Asia, many of my Madonna CD's are Japanese or HK versions. Looking through discogs and eBay it seems that after Sorry during the Confessions era, no more specific Japanese maxi-single releases were made, but they were still made for other countries e.g. Australia, USA etc. I know the Japanese love CD's so I cannot imagine it had anything to do with demand, and Madonna did take the Confessions tour to Tokyo. Does anyone know the reason why they stopped issuing Japanese versions of maxi singles halfway through the Confessions era?

No idea, but I always thought it was a shame that the Japan EPs from the 80s and 90s didn't continue. I think the last truly unique EP was the Take A Bow Remixes from early 1995. The following releases were just the usual maxi-CD single track listings. Not only Madonna, but most popular artists got amazing Japan releases on CD, usually combing the 12" maxi track listing, usually from one or two single releases and the occasional promo-only mix. Add to that unique artwork and titles... great collectibles!