Sign in to follow this  
SuperBicycle

Why did Japanese Maxi Singles stop?

Hi everyone, I am a fairly new collector to Madonna, after being a fan for so many years and developing a little collection without even really thinking about it.

As I have spent a lot of time in Asia, many of my Madonna CD's are Japanese or HK versions. Looking through discogs and eBay it seems that after Sorry during the Confessions era, no more specific Japanese maxi-single releases were made, but they were still made for other countries e.g. Australia, USA etc. I know the Japanese love CD's so I cannot imagine it had anything to do with demand, and Madonna did take the Confessions tour to Tokyo. Does anyone know the reason why they stopped issuing Japanese versions of maxi singles halfway through the Confessions era?

No idea, but I always thought it was a shame that the Japan EPs from the 80s and 90s didn't continue. I think the last truly unique EP was the Take A Bow Remixes from early 1995. The following releases were just the usual maxi-CD single track listings. Not only Madonna, but most popular artists got amazing Japan releases on CD, usually combing the 12" maxi track listing, usually from one or two single releases and the occasional promo-only mix. Add to that unique artwork and titles... great collectibles!

On 6/29/2020 at 11:57 PM, BadGurlMadge said:

since usa got involved in creating records for japan. then we said bye to great exclusive tracklists also

Thats a shame as the Japanese versions are so cool to have. We still get bonus tracks on the albums, HC, MDNA, RH and MX had Japanese bonus tracks, but the maxi singles did take it to a new level.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:56 AM, Ian said:

Interscope didn't consider M a priority and LN only cared about her concerts

I remember when Madonna signed the LN deal and it was considered revolutionary for the time, with the switch to streaming, however looking back now, while she has made a fortune in concert sales, I personally don't believe it has had a positive impact on her music and artistic output.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:36 AM, sidney78a said:

maybe and only maybe - because music turned to be free of charge.

Quite a bit of truth here, though in Japan CDs are still huge, they still have massive stores selling them, it is a very unique consumer culture.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:34 PM, rlittler81 said:

No idea, but I always thought it was a shame that the Japan EPs from the 80s and 90s didn't continue. I think the last truly unique EP was the Take A Bow Remixes from early 1995. The following releases were just the usual maxi-CD single track listings. Not only Madonna, but most popular artists got amazing Japan releases on CD, usually combing the 12" maxi track listing, usually from one or two single releases and the occasional promo-only mix. Add to that unique artwork and titles... great collectibles!

Yes agree it is a shame. Oh well, more stuff for me to collect :)

I'm going to rely on assumption that digital downloads took over her team's decision to release most of her singles in digital format and limit production of physical copies as the industry shifted towards accounting sales via digital distribution. It's a clear miss from my point of view as most of her singles from then on did not make it on the Oricon Charts which is dependent on physical sales at that time. Thus, it was hard to market Sticky and Sweet to Japan despite it being the highest grossing tour of solo female artist.

The Japan Releases always have better sound. As far back as the 80's. Into the groove in The Material Girl EP sounds amazing, crisp and a Full version. Then You have the Japanese Box set. That sound is brilliant, A little low by todays standards, But all the acoustics sound fantastic. Im sure there was some light mastering of that set, Does anyone know?

2 hours ago, Craigypants said:

Then You have the Japanese Box set. That sound is brilliant, A little low by todays standards, But all the acoustics sound fantastic. Im sure there was some light mastering of that set, Does anyone know?

The japanese Box set is a compilation, so a mastering (not re-mastering) is a must in order to create cohesive sounding Discs. EQ and processing is necessary to get it all to fit together (you know, "Burning Up" must sound like "You'll See" and vice versa).

18 hours ago, Craigypants said:

The Japan Releases always have better sound. As far back as the 80's. Into the groove in The Material Girl EP sounds amazing, crisp and a Full version. Then You have the Japanese Box set. That sound is brilliant, A little low by todays standards, But all the acoustics sound fantastic. Im sure there was some light mastering of that set, Does anyone know?

Which japanese box set?

12 hours ago, Lucas B. said:

Which japanese box set?

There is a box set of about 40 CD singles released in Japan many years ago that regularly used to feature on the most expensive items sold on Discogs. Quite rare and super expensive, though there are copies available. Apparently the sound quality is amazing and it features many versions of the singles not available otherwise on CD.