Did M Intentionally Want Two Forbidden Loves?

Velvet Rope

So as we all know there are two different Forbidden Love songs in Madonna's catalog,one on Bedtime Stories and the other one on Confessions. But my question is did Madonna intentionally want two different songs with the same title and (most likely coincidence but still strange nonetheless) the seventh track on both albums? Or did it just happen that way? This has always been a fascinating topic for my brain to circle back to and I'd love to hear people's feedback on what they think or if Madonna actually has discussed this in some fashion that I may have missed.

3 minutes ago, Semtex1 said:

This is a really good question. I  know its common for artists to have same song titles as others but i dont know of any others with two of their songs with the same title.

there are plenty

Chance the rapper Blessings

Kamelot Solitaire

Bob Dylan Diamond Joe

Modest Mouse Lounge

Ray Conniff For all we Know

Frank Sinatra I love you (3 diff songs!)

The Monkees Little Girl

Alma Cogan The birds and the Bees

etc

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Personally I think it was intentional. This is what she had to say about self-reference in an interview for Attitude Magazine during the Confessions era:

[About Hung Up] It begins with a chunk of lyrics from Love Song (her duet with Prince from Like a Prayer) and there are lots of references to your past record. It seems like this album’s almost like a retrospective of your whole career/ Is that what you were aiming for? 
No, I just feel like I can plagiarize myself whenever I feel like it. (Laughs) It’s all part of my past and I’m dragging my past into the present and hopefully into the future.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
2 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I think it just happened. I mean, what else would she have called the song? “Are We Suppose to be Together?”

True but at the same time she purposely retitled The One That Got Away to Addicted to “avoid confusion” so I feel like if she didn’t want to intentionally reference herself she could’ve changed the title to another lyric in the song or something.

18 minutes ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

True but at the same time she purposely retitled The One That Got Away to Addicted to “avoid confusion” so I feel like if she didn’t want to intentionally reference herself she could’ve changed the title to another lyric in the song or something.

Yes but the difference with that is Forbidden Love 94 is a Madonna song, not a Katy Perry song

Guest Nobody Knows Me
5 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Yes but the difference with that is Forbidden Love 94 is a Madonna song, not a Katy Perry song

True but the way she phrased it in that interview made me think the self reference was intentional there, and she does it more than once on Confessions.

8 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Personally I think it was intentional. This is what she had to say about self-reference in an interview for Attitude Magazine during the Confessions era:

[About Hung Up] It begins with a chunk of lyrics from Love Song (her duet with Prince from Like a Prayer) and there are lots of references to your past record. It seems like this album’s almost like a retrospective of your whole career/ Is that what you were aiming for? 
No, I just feel like I can plagiarize myself whenever I feel like it. (Laughs) It’s all part of my past and I’m dragging my past into the present and hopefully into the future.

"a chunk of lyrics"?  please, who are they kidding? as if it was a "chunk of lyrics" also, she didnt say that directly. we know magazine interviews like to embellish what was said. she knows it too. she knows they do too as she addressed about the '90 Vanity Fair magazine interview... "a good dish" as she described.

anyway, i believe it just was a coincidence much like the other songs titled similarly or the same.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
4 hours ago, Gilbert said:

"a chunk of lyrics"?  please, who are they kidding? as if it was a "chunk of lyrics" also, she didnt say that directly. we know magazine interviews like to embellish what was said. she knows it too. she knows they do too as she addressed about the '90 Vanity Fair magazine interview... "a good dish" as she described.

anyway, i believe it just was a coincidence much like the other songs titled similarly or the same.

I don’t think them saying ‘a chunk of lyrics’ was that calculated, it’s just a saying. Time goes by so slowly for those who wait, those who run seem to have all the fun can pass for a chunk of lyrics from a song lol. The album has a lot of self referential moments so I personally wouldn’t be that surprised if her naming a song after one of her own songs was intentional, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree. 

I don’t think Madonna is the type of person that forgets past songs she has recorded/released. She even quoted the 94 Forbidden Love on Instagram recently. “Rejection is the greatest aphrodisiac.”

And I don’t think the songs have anything to do with each other, the title is a commonly used cliche. The title/some lyrics on the 2005 version may even have come from Stuart Price for all we know.

I always thought it was kind of odd, but if she wanted to do it then she can I guess. Not sure if she had the Bedtime Stories track in mind or not; I'm not sure since, like many tracks from Bedtime Stories, she never does it live. Does get a little confusing when you're tagging stuff, like on last.fm Forbidden Love is one of my top played Madonna songs, since it counts the plays from both albums lol.

I mean, Lady Gaga has "Fashion" and "Fashion!"; that's different enough right? lol