BadGurlMadge

New virus coming from pigs marked as “pandemic potential”

I mean in reality... there are people who are constantly finding viruses so they can stay one step ahead. Most of them do not transfer from animals to humans, and then even if they do its rare that a virus can then be passed from human to human.  I think this may be just some sensationalism. 

exactly @RUADJAI!  it is only because we are in the middle of a pandemic right now that this is being blown up. viruses pop up all the time. and you know how people get. once we blow one up, everything after for awhile blows up into a huge deal. thats until we get tired of it and start pretending it doesnt exist when it is existing still. but like anything in life, it eventually cycles back to us.

4 hours ago, CicconeUK said:

Maybe if we all stopped eating animals?

I don't think that would be sustainable either. But also: meat is just too tasty. I do think we could use a bit more moderation.

The headlines around this one are certainly sensationalistic. It is only a "potentially, possibly, maybe" scenario. Mutations like this in the H1N1 are always quite concerning, nonetheless. Flu-vaccines for this season are not prepared for this. It has already infected a large swathe of swine farmers but human-to-human transmission has not (as we know so far) kicked off. If it does, though, it'll surely be a shit winter in the northern hemisphere.

10 hours ago, Sprk said:

I don't think that would be sustainable either. But also: meat is just too tasty. I do think we could use a bit more moderation.

Why not?

I haven't ate animals for over 35 years, certainly haven't missed being part of the cruelty.

1 minute ago, CicconeUK said:

Why not?

I haven't ate animals for over 35 years, certainly haven't missed being part of the cruelty.

Good for you. Unfortunately that doesn't work for a lot of people. And if suddenly everyone would switch to a plant-based diet I doubt it would be possible to produce the amount of food needed to feed everyone. But again, I think if people would eat less meat on a regular basis, they would be more inclined to make the adjustment, and it would already have a huge impact. I've gone from eating meat literally every single day, to only eating meat 5 days out of the week. Plus I'm choosing not to have any children, which is probably a bigger help than to stop eating meat.

7 hours ago, Sprk said:

Good for you. Unfortunately that doesn't work for a lot of people. And if suddenly everyone would switch to a plant-based diet I doubt it would be possible to produce the amount of food needed to feed everyone. But again, I think if people would eat less meat on a regular basis, they would be more inclined to make the adjustment, and it would already have a huge impact. I've gone from eating meat literally every single day, to only eating meat 5 days out of the week. Plus I'm choosing not to have any children, which is probably a bigger help than to stop eating meat.

How much food do you think is produced to feed the animals you eat?

Just cut out the middle man and eat the food direct instead of using it to feed a living creature which is then tortured and murdered.

And let's not talk about the cancers that red meat is responsible for...

18 minutes ago, CicconeUK said:

How much food do you think is produced to feed the animals you eat?

Just cut out the middle man and eat the food direct instead of using it to feed a living creature which is then tortured and murdered.

And let's not talk about the cancers that red meat is responsible for...

but cancers dont just come from eating meat, so i would find that a poor defense.

since the beginning of time, the human race has depended on animals for their diet. i am not going to argue ones choice in eating or not eating it, but i refuse to be guilt-ed out of eating it when raising animals for human consumption has been done since the beginning of time. i dont agree with the torture of animals but when i think of a family farm, i dont think of animals being tortured. its part of life. it might not be part of your life but there are many who accept it and look at is as "survival of the fittest".

4 hours ago, Gilbert said:

but cancers dont just come from eating meat, so i would find that a poor defense.

since the beginning of time, the human race has depended on animals for their diet. i am not going to argue ones choice in eating or not eating it, but i refuse to be guilt-ed out of eating it when raising animals for human consumption has been done since the beginning of time. i dont agree with the torture of animals but when i think of a family farm, i dont think of animals being tortured. its part of life. it might not be part of your life but there are many who accept it and look at is as "survival of the fittest".

How many of the animals you eat come from a 'family farm'?

It's everyone's choice at the end of the day, I'm only bothered about the animals who have no choice.

3 hours ago, CicconeUK said:

How many of the animals you eat come from a 'family farm'?

It's everyone's choice at the end of the day, I'm only bothered about the animals who have no choice.

and how many other ways can you get cancer than just eating red meat?

i agree its "everyone's choice at the end of the day". but i dont feel like animals were simply put on this earth to save and not eat.