Sign in to follow this  
Franknkm

FRANCE 7" - Different artwork/Song edit

I think all the versions are the same as the ones from other countries.

About the art covers...

"Dress You Up" and "Live To Tell" have different logos for the tittle too...

I think the only complete different cover (using another picture) is the "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina" CD Maxi.

Oh Father was released in France in 1990, when the USA released Keep It Together - hence they used the same image as KIT (photographed December 1989) there was no existing 7" artwork for Oh Father anywhere in the world. 

The Look Of Love was released the same time as You Can Dance and the red on the artwork was a reference to the You Can Dance artwork etc

13 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Several ? Only The Look of Love (red cover but same album version) and Oh Father (keep it together cover with single edit of Oh Father as in the US cassette single).

Well, actually isn't correct... DRESS YOU UP, INTO THE GROOVE, LIVE TO TELL, PAPA DON'T PREACH, LA ISLA BONITA, TRUE BLUE, THE LOOK OF LOVE and CHERISH has different grafic elements... 

I read somewhere that the French issues had the text run horizontally to make it easier for a non-English speaker to read. Not sure if it's true or not but if you look at most of the changes they made it's to make the text horizontal... or larger

Edited by Stephen George

4 hours ago, Stephen George said:

I read somewhere that the French issues had the text run horizontally to make it easier for a non-English speaker to read. Not sure if it's true or not but if you look at most of the changes they made it's to make the text horizontal... or larger

That's true. All single versions were the same as the ones used on the German 7" singles but the text titles and Madonna's name were placed horizontally - like you said - so they the French buying public could easily read them. Hence sometimes a unique zoomed out picture like the Open Your Heart sleeve, which I like a lot. Great collectables though.

8 hours ago, Franknkm said:

Well, actually isn't correct... DRESS YOU UP, INTO THE GROOVE, LIVE TO TELL, PAPA DON'T PREACH, LA ISLA BONITA, TRUE BLUE, THE LOOK OF LOVE and CHERISH has different grafic elements... 

Oh wow ! Thank You, i had never noticed that ! I'm french, i have these 7" (except Cherish). Now i found out i have valuable stuff hahaha.

R-535516-1318171082.jpeg.jpg

R-1362061-1212911458.jpeg.jpg

R-2006748-1518376627-5346.jpeg.jpg

R-2006728-1437311226-6959.jpeg.jpg

R-1047060-1585231739-5183.jpeg.jpg

R-666382-1577578098-2518.jpeg.jpg

R-735639-1586610023-9229.jpeg.jpg

R-536963-1452877821-3769.jpeg.jpg

If you were french and have experienced the rule of vinyl in the 80's, you surely remember how the 45 RPM were made available in the stores : there were no rows with a plastic display as for the CD singles at one time but a disorder in displays where the discs were arranged behind each other, showing only the top of the cover...

:Madonna007:

Madonna’s record label in France certainly wanted to make life easier for consumers and then show, on the covers of the 45 singles, the name of the singer and the title of the song at the top of the cover...

:Madonna005:

Rescue Me and Crazy For You and Holiday all had UK only artwork due to being released at different times (Rescue Me was released in USA but we released Crazy For You and Holiday too from Immaculate Collection campaign so used Rescue Me cover in b/w for Crazy For You and different Jean Baptiste Mondino pic ( which did look a bit cheap and badly airbrushed) love The Holiday Collection tho...

Sorry last comment..we also had the 1995 release of Oh Father with a video still cover not released anywhere else but diff from original cover and Who's that Girl uk was different to USA as only showed her eyes not whole face ( maybe to tie in with WTG Tour logo being just her eyes)