To those veteran Madonna fans

Roy

12 minutes ago, SuperBicycle said:

I didn't see any of those, but I did see Girlie Show, would have loved to have seen the others but they never came to my country. Since then I have seen her 9 times. What do you want to know? I hope to be able to see her another 9 times!

Ooh! I would love to hear your experiences from the Girlie Show Tour. How is it? :D

The Girlie Show was amazing. Back then there was no YouTube or internet so you really didn't know what to expect, perhaps we had seen 1 or 2 photos in magazines and a few hints of the set list, but you really had no idea. At that time the WTG Italy concert had been on TV, which was revolutionary and In Bed With Madonna had shown in the cinema so we had seen the magnificence of Blond Ambition. When Madonna announced she was touring Australia with the Erotica I was beyond excited. I must admit at the time I was a bit disappointed in the Erotica Album, as apart from Fever and Deeper and Deeper there weren't a lot of dance songs, and I was too young to really understand the Sex book, though it was controversial, but at that stage even I had thought Madonna had 'gone to far', now I see it was challenging my mind and opening me up to new ideas and experiences, which was exactly what she wanted. 

Anyway, I went with my best friend at the time and we managed to get tickets on the ground in the massive stadium the first night in my town, I recall we had to coordinate who would call to buy the tickets, we both could not do it in the event we both got tickets (no mobile back then). The concert was AMAZING, when Madonna came on, I burst into tears, it was SO exciting to see her. There was so much movement on stage, dancers etc, it was hard to know where to look. I must say at the time, I was a bit disappointed that she didn't sing Like A Prayer, as it was and still is my favourite song, but I loved the concert. One night was not enough, I ended up seeing Girlie Show 3 times, but from far away seats, as I was a student and the tickets where prohibitively expensive for me back then. We were also lucky to see the sound check one day, when we managed to sneak halfway into the stadium, where we saw Madonna and her dancers rehearse Deeper and Deeper. I was all so exciting, we waited at the hotel, stage door, everywhere to catch a glimpse of anything, we also saw the blue clown costumes being carried into the stadium one day. So exciting!

Unfortunately I didn't get to see her again until Confessions, and that is another exciting story for another topic.

2 hours ago, SuperBicycle said:

The Girlie Show was amazing. Back then there was no YouTube or internet so you really didn't know what to expect, perhaps we had seen 1 or 2 photos in magazines and a few hints of the set list, but you really had no idea. At that time the WTG Italy concert had been on TV, which was revolutionary and In Bed With Madonna had shown in the cinema so we had seen the magnificence of Blond Ambition. When Madonna announced she was touring Australia with the Erotica I was beyond excited. I must admit at the time I was a bit disappointed in the Erotica Album, as apart from Fever and Deeper and Deeper there weren't a lot of dance songs, and I was too young to really understand the Sex book, though it was controversial, but at that stage even I had thought Madonna had 'gone to far', now I see it was challenging my mind and opening me up to new ideas and experiences, which was exactly what she wanted. 

Anyway, I went with my best friend at the time and we managed to get tickets on the ground in the massive stadium the first night in my town, I recall we had to coordinate who would call to buy the tickets, we both could not do it in the event we both got tickets (no mobile back then). The concert was AMAZING, when Madonna came on, I burst into tears, it was SO exciting to see her. There was so much movement on stage, dancers etc, it was hard to know where to look. I must say at the time, I was a bit disappointed that she didn't sing Like A Prayer, as it was and still is my favourite song, but I loved the concert. One night was not enough, I ended up seeing Girlie Show 3 times, but from far away seats, as I was a student and the tickets where prohibitively expensive for me back then. We were also lucky to see the sound check one day, when we managed to sneak halfway into the stadium, where we saw Madonna and her dancers rehearse Deeper and Deeper. I was all so exciting, we waited at the hotel, stage door, everywhere to catch a glimpse of anything, we also saw the blue clown costumes being carried into the stadium one day. So exciting!

Unfortunately I didn't get to see her again until Confessions, and that is another exciting story for another topic.

Ok woah. That is an experience. I can just imagine the energy in the stadium. It must have been hot and wild there. Did she perform special songs or did she stick to the setlist though?

I was only 2 years when I went with my family to see WTG. Obviously I don't remember anything but my dad said he had me sit in his shoulders the whole time so I could see the show. 

I don't remember much of BA either - the only memory I have is singing happy birthday to her dad (as seen in Truth or Dare from the Detroit footage). 

My memory was hazy for TGS too but I remember that the crowd was so loud that we couldn't hear her vocals for Erotica, we were confused as hell with her rendition of LAV, I remember thinking how Bye Bye Baby was an exact duplicate of her VMA performance we just watched on TV, and the crowd going apeshit when Holiday was performed. 

I saw the whos that girl tour in 87 here in texas, it was my first madonna concert. It was so amazing! The wtg soundtrack had just come out and I was like the only person who knew all the songs by heart..LOL. I was so happy she did look of love, I was not expecting that. I even got on the news here, cause I was still in madonna wanna be phase so i dressed up like her.

Then she came here again for the BA tour which I went to night one. She ended up saying goodnight houston instead of dallas at the end and people booed. I laughed, she came back out and bowed down and said Im sorry. That concert was such a crazy show compared to WTG. She upped her game, and it was still one of the best shows Ive seen. She dosent come here very often so Its rare when I do get to see her.  I met one of her dancers while we were outside waiting, again I had worn a outtfit like madonna, express yourself suit with the im breathless hair, yeah still doing that thing..LOL...anyway he said holy crap shes wearing like the same outtfit back stage. This was in a texas summer to, so I really regretted wearing it while we were outside. When she did the LAV portion, everyone kind of stopped and was like WTF is going on, then huge cheers. It was def a moment.

I wish I had been able to see the LAV tour but she didnt come to hawaii and thats where I was at that time.

13 hours ago, SuperBicycle said:

This is all so similar to my experience in Brisbane! And it was Confessions when I saw her next too, which started my tradition of travelling overseas to see her

:01:

On 7/8/2020 at 11:17 PM, ScottyX said:

I was at Blond Ambition in Toronto on the infamous Truth Or Dare night... I had just turned 15 a month before. Only time I have ever seen her live. And really, if I had a choice to only ever see her once in my life, I am glad it was then!

Is it the night wherein she said "Do you believe in freedom of artistic expression and free speech?" 

My first time was the who's that girl tour in Frankfurt. I was only 15 years old, it was my first stadium concert and my third concert ever (I had seen nena and A-ha in my hometown) I was very impressed by the mass of people who just came to see Madonna for the first time in Germany. I felt like the whole country was excited. The newspapers and TV were full of it. I only saw her in the size of a pin, but to hear and see her on the screen was magical. My second time was the blond ambition in Dortmund, we drove there the day before and stayed in the car so that we could sit in front of the hall very early. When the doors opened we ran forward, got lost but both made it to the front row. I can still remember when she came to the right side of the stage for the first time for express yourself where I was standing. It was so unrealistic and magical, I think I'll never forget that. The show was so bombastic and new, and without the internet you didn't really know what to expect. It was all very impressive for a 18 year old boy who came from a small city. My third time didn't happen because the concert of the girlie show in Frankfurt was canceled. There was no chance to get tickets for another country without the internet and I had to wait 8 years to see her again at the drowned world tour in Berlin. 

My very first concert was the WTG. I was 14 years old at that time and I remember it very well.

She was everywhere at that time. Each magazine, TV report .... It was incredible. Everyone was talking about her. Even the grandparents. Cinemas replayed Susan during this summer. I could see it before the concert. They also played the video of Material Girl just before the movie. I was in heaven ! 

For me, she was like an unreal goddess at the time and being with her at the same time and the same place was completely surreal. The audience at the concert was incredible.
The exit from the stadium was also very exciting. Stands everywhere with lots of merchandise. I was crazy. I convinced my father to stop a few times to buy posters, t-shirts, program.... I could have spent hours here. Heaven on earth
3 years later, I could see the blond Ambition tour. This tour is my favorite. Everything was perfect. Setlist, sets, costumes. The sound was incredible. When the drums started on Express Yourself (just before the first dance and sing ...), my heart stopped beating. It was so huge! Great memory. Stadium was not full. It was the Nice show that was broadcast on HBO. At the last moment they transferred people from the stands to the main lawn to increase the impression of a filled stadium. 

Big sky tracer were placed all around the field. It was very nice. 

Then the girlie show. For the first time I could see her very close. She was beautiful and what a body! Very beautiful memories and superb tour.
Then I could see the Confessions Tour, S&S and MDNA. I had tickets for RH Tour and MX but I couldn't attend :-(

@mouse @spicelab It must have been very magical for all of you to see her energy in person. Wish I had attended the Rebel Heart Tour when she came in Manila, Philippines but I had my quarterly exams but to watch her perform Crazy for You for the first time after the Re - Invention Tour is just iconic of her. 

On 7/8/2020 at 11:26 AM, musicinferno said:

I was only 2 years when I went with my family to see WTG. Obviously I don't remember anything but my dad said he had me sit in his shoulders the whole time so I could see the show. 

I don't remember much of BA either - the only memory I have is singing happy birthday to her dad (as seen in Truth or Dare from the Detroit footage). 

My memory was hazy for TGS too but I remember that the crowd was so loud that we couldn't hear her vocals for Erotica, we were confused as hell with her rendition of LAV, I remember thinking how Bye Bye Baby was an exact duplicate of her VMA performance we just watched on TV, and the crowd going apeshit when Holiday was performed. 

Music inferno, were you at the Detroit Girlie Show?  That was my first M live experience, and I will tell everyone about it (if you want to hear about it, that is, lol) a lot later, but I have to get up for work in a few short hours.

God I wish my mom didn't try and shield me from Madonna when I was younger. (I think she was trying to keep me from turning gay). I got to see Janet Jackson for the JANET tour 1992 , but my mom didn't get me tickets for The Girlie Show and I didn't think to ask to see Madonna. I don't even think I understood that artists traveled around to different places at the time. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to see her until Drowned World and those were the longest years of my life... from 12 -20.   God... what horrible timing for her to stop touring for 8 years. 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, spicelab said:

My first time was the who's that girl tour in Frankfurt. I was only 15 years old, it was my first stadium concert and my third concert ever (I had seen nena and A-ha in my hometown) I was very impressed by the mass of people who just came to see Madonna for the first time in Germany. I felt like the whole country was excited. The newspapers and TV were full of it. I only saw her in the size of a pin, but to hear and see her on the screen was magical. My second time was the blond ambition in Dortmund, we drove there the day before and stayed in the car so that we could sit in front of the hall very early. When the doors opened we ran forward, got lost but both made it to the front row. I can still remember when she came to the right side of the stage for the first time for express yourself where I was standing. It was so unrealistic and magical, I think I'll never forget that. The show was so bombastic and new, and without the internet you didn't really know what to expect. It was all very impressive for a 18 year old boy who came from a small city. My third time didn't happen because the concert of the girlie show in Frankfurt was canceled. There was no chance to get tickets for another country without the internet and I had to wait 8 years to see her again at the drowned world tour in Berlin. 

30 years ago today ?