Question about a "Hung up" snippet (with male backing vocals)

Redha DBL

I remember clearly, a few days before she dropped "Hung up" in 2005, there were a few snippets doing the round on the net. Among those snippets there was a version with male backing vocals during the verses, and it was faster. My question is, did this version leak ? Do we have more info on this version ? Oh and if someone still has the snippets it would be great to post them in this discussion thread. Thanks !

1 hour ago, TonyMontana said:

I remember clearly, a few days before she dropped "Hung up" in 2005, there were a few snippets doing the round on the net. Among those snippets there was a version with male backing vocals during the verses, and it was faster. My question is, did this version leak ? Do we have more info on this version ? Oh and if someone still has the snippets it would be great to post them in this discussion thread. Thanks !

I think it was altered by whoever had it to avoid copyright claims at the time cause I've heard an early demo back in the day and it didn't have male vocals on it. it wasn't too different from the final version tho

3 hours ago, Cooka. said:

I always thought it was just intentionally filtered to sound low quality AND speeded up. I don't think those are "male backing vocals", just her own vocals after using vocoder or whatever. 

2 hours ago, Santo said:

I think it was altered by whoever had it to avoid copyright claims at the time cause I've heard an early demo back in the day and it didn't have male vocals on it. it wasn't too different from the final version tho

Hmmm i had the snippet on a cd-r back in the days, listened to it a hundreads pf times before the song released and it was clearly male backing vocals, for example on some lyrics like "i'm done, i'm hanging up on you" there were male backing vocals with M's voice. It sounded like a demo. To be honest ot sounded really good and i was hoping those backing vocals would be in the official version. I've seen other people talking about those backing vocals snippets too over the years on the net. I hope someone still has it and will post it.

The “male” vocals are present on the released song, they’re just not as present in those clips.

I remember those 2 clips, I have them somewhere.

As for the legitimacy of them, it's still unclear. I doubt any traders/collectors had the stems or multitracks back in 2005 to make them. So i think there is a bit of authenticity.

I do have this tidbit from my timeline notes:

August 26: Madonna has sent a water-marked CD around of her first single, “Hung Up.” She is apparently trying to decide which one of two version of the song will be the official release.

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

The “male” vocals are present on the released song, they’re just not as present in those clips.

I remember those 2 clips, I have them somewhere.

As for the legitimacy of them, it's still unclear. I doubt any traders/collectors had the stems or multitracks back in 2005 to make them. So i think there is a bit of authenticity.

I do have this tidbit from my timeline notes:

Oh please can you find them and post them ???!!! It would be amazing !!!

1 minute ago, You Thrill Me said:

Is this the clip you're looking for?

Oh yessssss !!!! That's it !!!!!! Wow so strange to hear it after all those years !!!! Ok so now i want that version !!!! It's not just the album version speeded up, it's clearly a different mix to me, the beat is harder, and those backing vocals on some words are amazing. It's hung up ok steroids !!!

15 minutes ago, You Thrill Me said:

thanks for posting. mystery solved. totally sped up, distorted and filtered/altered vocals.  not male in the background. just Madonna.

51 minutes ago, You Thrill Me said:

Hidden Content

• Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

It sounds like the clip used when promoting the ROKR. It’s is indeed different as the final version never had the altered key vocal layer for the verses. 

you can hear all separate layers below. The altered key vocals for the male effect are around 7:00 but it’s just for the chorus.

2 hours ago, Piksel8 said:

It sounds like the clip used when promoting the ROKR. It’s is indeed different as the final version never had the altered key vocal layer for the verses. 

you can hear all separate layers below. The altered key vocals for the male effect are around 7:00 but it’s just for the chorus.

Ok so it's indeed male backing vocals. Even if it's M's voice they lowered it to make it sound like male backing vocals. Too bad there is just the chorus in this video. I agree with you the beat in the Motorola advert is similar to the male backing version. 

I have a question. In the Hung up multitracks that has leaked, is there those male backing vocals for the verses ?

2 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Ok so it's indeed male backing vocals. Even if it's M's voice they lowered it to make it sound like male backing vocals. Too bad there is just the chorus in this video. I agree with you the beat in the Motorola advert is similar to the male backing version. 

I have a question. In the Hung up multitracks that has leaked, is there those male backing vocals for the verses ?

The 2.21.05 version only has one vocal layer oppose to 3, and it sounds like an unfiltered one too. Which is good to point out the difference of the 3 versions (2.21, ROKR, final) because it seems that the Stuart did not add and mixed in other filtered layers until later. By the time the ROKR Ad came out It’s clear that they were still considering other mixes for  hung up before releasing the album. Just shows that there are other versions out there of the single that we haven’t heard. bottom line is it’s basically them just remixing all vocal layers and enhancing other channels to please WB.

13 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

This clip isn't anything official. It's a distorted version of what was teased early on. There is no MALE vocal. The early tease was actually a version without the ABBA sample. This is just a version someone distorted to make like it's different.

I’m not so sure. I don’t hear any distortion in any of these clips. To me it sounds like an unpolished version of Stuart’s SDP Mix. 

8 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I’m not so sure. I don’t hear any distortion in any of these clips. To me it sounds like an unpolished version of Stuart’s SDP Mix. 

to me it sounds very distorted and sped up.  i do recall early on a small clip was shared/leaked before the song, and it was without the Abba sample. i think it came from the motorola commercial. this clip sounds like someone is trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. 

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

to me it sounds very distorted and sped up.  i do recall early on a small clip was shared/leaked before the song, and it was without the Abba sample. i think it came from the Motorola commercial. this clip sounds like someone is trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes. 

I had to listen to this in with a headset + noise cancellation and as i was going to agree that this may have been distorted, the effect triggered a memory so I had to go back to my old files and find the one closest to it and alas the vocals are the same for the Groove Armada Remix.

https://mega.nz/file/Hd1hDKyA#MsizFS-LvOQICHwjKsBI6Iswd3md1c6vD2atqBw1hPE

I think we can all agree that the "male" vocal is Madonna and is an just an effect by modifying its key, its clear based on the stripped layers, the "male" effect was used just for the chorus, but I'm putting my bet that it was created for all bars and segments to experiment with. As for the Motorola commercial, you're right, the clip used for the ad did not come with the Abba sample.

Unfortunately, I don't have the early leaked version of hung up so I can't compare. lol

7 hours ago, Piksel8 said:

I had to listen to this in with a headset + noise cancellation and as i was going to agree that this may have been distorted, the effect triggered a memory so I had to go back to my old files and find the one closest to it and alas the vocals are the same for the Groove Armada Remix.

https://mega.nz/file/Hd1hDKyA#MsizFS-LvOQICHwjKsBI6Iswd3md1c6vD2atqBw1hPE

I think we can all agree that the "male" vocal is Madonna and is an just an effect by modifying its key, its clear based on the stripped layers, the "male" effect was used just for the chorus, but I'm putting my bet that it was created for all bars and segments to experiment with. As for the Motorola commercial, you're right, the clip used for the ad did not come with the Abba sample.

Unfortunately, I don't have the early leaked version of hung up so I can't compare. lol

Indeed it is the same as in this Groove Armada mix. Good find !!!! But do you think that this mix is official and really made by groove Armada ? It sounds really fan made to me, and there are no mentions of a groove Armada remix for Hung up on the web. But even if it is fanmade, it means someone has that "other version" of hung up to create that mix, especially back in 2005 before the released of hung up. I'm in love with those backing vocals. Do you know if they are in the leaked multitracks (not only for the chorus but for the verses) ?

3 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Indeed it is the same as in this Groove Armada mix. Good find !!!! But do you think that this mix is official and really made by groove Armada ? It sounds really fan made to me, and there are no mentions of a groove Armada remix for Hung up on the web. But even if it is fanmade, it means someone has that "other version" of hung up to create that mix, especially back in 2005 before the released of hung up. I'm in love with those backing vocals. Do you know if they are in the leaked multitracks (not only for the chorus but for the verses) ?

I honestly can't remember how i got this remix, it must've been one of the downloads some of the forums i joined back then. To apply the effect at the exact same phrase from the clip Gilbert shared seems less of a coincidence. I can only think now to why this version sounds familiar is because it could possibly the clip that was released as a ringtone at mtv.com before the single was released especially when the clip starts at ring ring ring goes the telephone, lol. Either way, the alternative vocal layer on these verses are apparent and not fan made (from my point of view).

1 hour ago, Piksel8 said:

I honestly can't remember how i got this remix, it must've been one of the downloads some of the forums i joined back then. To apply the effect at the exact same phrase from the clip Gilbert shared seems less of a coincidence. I can only think now to why this version sounds familiar is because it could possibly the clip that was released as a ringtone at mtv.com before the single was released especially when the clip starts at ring ring ring goes the telephone, lol. Either way, the alternative vocal layer on these verses are apparent and not fan made (from my point of view).

yep. motorola. i remember this was the version but i still think someone sped it up and distorted it.