The high note movie

Enrico

I just saw the movie "The high note" ( in Italy it's called L'assistente della star) with Dakota Johnson.

The movie is about Maggie, who is the personal assistant to legendary R&B singer Grace Davis but wants to become a producer.

I was a little shocked and uneasy to realize that the character of Grace Davis seems partly inspired by Madonna:

1) in one scene she takes a ice bath (!!) and in another one she uses a beauty roller

2) her record company doesn't want her to make a new record because it won't sell

3) she has a successful touring career but they'd rather have her do a Vegas residency

4) they are releasing a live record but her voice is hidden behind heavy instrumentation and they are producing a cheap remix to modernize her song (the producer is played by Diplo!)

5) at a meeting, the young guys from the record company tell her that their mums are happy they are working with her

6) for her live album launch they invite Ariana Grande

Has anyone seen it?

Is it just my impression?

14 hours ago, Enrico said:

I just saw the movie "The high note" ( in Italy it's called L'assistente della star) with Dakota Johnson.

The movie is about Maggie, who is the personal assistant to legendary R&B singer Grace Davis but wants to become a producer.

I was a little shocked and uneasy to realize that the character of Grace Davis seems partly inspired by Madonna:

1) in one scene she takes a ice bath (!!) and in another one she uses a beauty roller

2) her record company doesn't want her to make a new record because it won't sell

3) she has a successful touring career but they'd rather have her do a Vegas residency

4) they are releasing a live record but her voice is hidden behind heavy instrumentation and they are producing a cheap remix to modernize her song (the producer is played by Diplo!)

5) at a meeting, the young guys from the record company tell her that their mums are happy they are working with her

6) for her live album launch they invite Ariana Grande

Has anyone seen it?

Is it just my impression?

Yeah indeed it makes a lot of "coincidences" !

Sounds interesting!

The character it's a mix of different "divas", it seems:

The High Note’s director, Nisha Ganatra, said the film used Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Madonna and Tina Turner as references, but not Diana Ross.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2547226/despite-questions-tracee-ellis-ross-says-her-her-high-note-character-is-not-based-on-her-famous-mother

Good movie. But honestly it didn’t remind me of Madonna because the singer’s musical style was so different from Madonna’s. The character gave me Mariah Carey vibes, especially with the Las Vegas suggestion. I am surprised the article about the movie doesn’t mention Mariah because she seemed like an obvious reference.