When was the last time Madonna was really relevant to the general public?

Mp1992

6 hours ago, steady75 said:

Super Bowl because it happened before MDNA which was her most poorly received record. That album did a lot of damage. It wasn’t even a step down in quality compared to her previous records, it was a cliff edge. 

I would agree 

I suppose she was mentioned a lot for being pulled down the stairs at the Brits which I agree could argue shows she is was still relevant with the general public then and if it happened tomorrow it probably would get the same headlines 

But overall I would say the until the release of MDNA.  I suppose in the UK not that many people watched the Super Bowl as is more of an US event - but I still think she was liked I mean look at the reaction she got just for turning up at the premieres all over Europe for the WE movie and all eyes were on her from the public and press and not the stars of the movie  - I think just the excitement of Madonna being present overshadowed any interest in the film itself  But think the singles from MDNA were so poor and badly promoted by Interscope I think that was then the general public lost alot of interest simply because the quality of the music had declined judged by the 3 singles released even if there were some great tracks on the album  

I agree Superbowl was the last huge moment. Of course she still attracts attention, but after 2012 we got a lot less press coverage, not to mention radios. The ridiculous internet crap doesn't count imo.

Let me give you an example. For every new record or every tour Italian newspapers used to dedicate a full page to Madonna, sometimes even two. I used to buy at least the main 4 Italian newspapers to read reviews etc. This hasn't happened with Rebel Heart and even less with Madame X. As I said already, almost nobody noticed MX was released in Italy. And Italy is the nation where even Gambler, Oh father, Love profusion and Girl gone wild charted!

6 hours ago, TOpher said:

blink-182 wtf GIF

I don't think ScottyX knows what the saying "household name" is?

Household name means, in general, everyone in an average household knows who you are, they might not follow your career or be a big fan but they gave a general idea of who you are

Madonna has been a household name since late 1984, although she's probably not talked about like she was on in the 80s, 90s parts of the 2000s, everyone, when you say "Madonna" knows who you're talking about

Don't forget her 2012 Superbowl performance was watched by more people than any TV show in US history at that time and nearly half of the US population was watching

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 10:27 AM, steady75 said:

Super Bowl because it happened before MDNA which was her most poorly received record. That album did a lot of damage. It wasn’t even a step down in quality compared to her previous records, it was a cliff edge. 

i feel like it was more of an experimental album where she was trying to just release something really quick. maybe it was an album to be played at parties ig... 

thats how i see MDNA. 

other than that, she must've lost a few brain cells then if she thought it was a good album... 

10 hours ago, Ulisaax640 said:

i feel like it was more of an experimental album where she was trying to just release something really quick. maybe it was an album to be played at parties ig... 

thats how i see MDNA. 

other than that, she must've lost a few brain cells then if she thought it was a good album... 

Quick? It took 4 years to make. 

She's not relevant because she doesn't want. I know that she works hard, but the general public don't know that. Hidding in a studio for 2 years, recording a record, and then promoting it for only 2 months, and touring quick for your fans and then dissapear again for a long time... this is not how the world works in this age, and I think this damages more her brand than a single not being played on the radio. 4 years gap it's not good for anyone. 

MDNA damaged her career. I do like some of the songs (Beautiful Killer, Falling Free or Masterpiece) but the album was way too cheesy and childish. Gang Bang, B-Day Song or Superstar are absolutely awful. Gaga was very big at the time, she is not that big anymore, thank God, but I think that was the reason for this naive and cheesy album. Let's make it as simple and stupid as possible for a very young (Gaga) audience....but it didn´t work out. Unfortunately the two following albums, both fantastic in my opinion, could not repair the damage done.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say the Confessions Era was her last taste of real success. Hard Candy was the album that ruined her career because it was just so damn bad! And MDNA didn't help anything. As Daphne posted, it was childish, and I think Madge just needed something to "put out there". She herself has said something along the lines of: "The reason I push myself so hard is that I don't want people to forget about me when I'm gone". That's a very sad and insecure statement.