When was the last time Madonna was really relevant to the general public?

Mp1992

Not her fanbase but the GP in the world

In the US, I would say up until 2003 with American Life and then she spent another 10 years of so, until 2012-2013, being semi relevant

Outside the US, I would say until 2009, notice her worldwide album sales were still good until then and she was still having hit single after hit single outside the US until Celebration

Thoughts?

I’d say the Confessions era  being Hung Up was such a hit. But, I think Madonna is still relevant....maybe not as much as the 80’s and into the 2000’s, but she still has that it factor and is a legend like Prince, Michael Jackson, Elvis etc.  I‘d never consider her  as being irrelevant as a touring artist especially. Great topic!

• 2 weeks later...

2006 was probably the last time she had high general praise with her Confessions era. After this, the star started to fade in the eyes of the public with only sporadic moments of praise and rapidly decreasing sales figures. Now, only few people actually know that she is still releasing music... if you can call it that lol. She is now in 'legacy artist' territory, and she needs to start embracing that if she wants to see sales and popularity increase amongst the GP.

"4 Minutes" was a monster hit in 2008 and one of the pop songs of that year, it was everywhere. A proper international hit and her last one so far.

The "Sticky & Sweet Tour" was a huge success too.

And then the Super Bowl in 2012.

I know some fans don't like the "Hard Candy" era that much and have "Confessions" as her last peak, but let's not rewrite history...

27 minutes ago, Prayer said:

"4 Minutes" was a monster hit in 2008 and one of the pop songs of that year, it was everywhere. A proper international hit and her last one so far.

The "Sticky & Sweet Tour" was a huge success too.

And then the Super Bowl in 2012.

I know some fans don't like the "Hard Candy" era that much and have "Confessions" as her last peak, but let's not rewrite history...

Yes she was still pretty relevant during HC.

Then she left Warner's....

36 minutes ago, ScottyX said:

Since the question asked GENERAL PUBLIC and not the music industry or within the fan base,

I'd say the 90s is when she was last seen relevant in the General Public

Nah, she had massive success with Music and Confessions in the first half of the 2000s

I think she was the second biggest selling female artist of the 2000s worldwide behind only Britney

So if Beyonce, Christina, Pink were relevant during the 2000s, than so was Madonna as she outsold them that decade

2 hours ago, Mp1992 said:

Nah, she had massive success with Music and Confessions in the first half of the 2000s

I think she was the second biggest selling female artist of the 2000s worldwide behind only Britney

So if Beyonce, Christina, Pink were relevant during the 2000s, than so was Madonna as she outsold them that decade

Again, general public, not her music, Maybe the question should have been more specific lol

Honestly, I think the Music era was her last era of massive relevance imo. After that the GP seemed to move on. Of course there were a few moments in between then and now where she regained some relevancy like at the 2003 VMAs and the 2012 Superbowl, but what bothered me about those instances is that her controversies and persona were more focused on than her music was.

And while she obviously had hits during the Confessions and Hard Candy eras, I feel that most of her success back then was almost entirely fan driven rather than GP driven.

36 minutes ago, ScottyX said:

Again, general public, not her music, Maybe the question should have been more specific lol

But Confessions was the #1 selling album worldwide released in 2005, slightly outselling Mariah and 50 Cents

And the 2006 tour was the #1 selling your of that year

That's relevancy with the general public, the only thing she had against her was lack of US airplay

8 minutes ago, Nahual said:

Honestly, I think the Music era was her last era of massive relevance imo. After that the GP seemed to move on. Of course there were a few moments in between then and now where she regained some relevancy like at the 2003 VMAs and the 2012 Superbowl, but what bothered me about those instances is that her controversies and persona were more focused on than her music was.

And while she obviously had hits during the Confessions and Hard Candy eras, I feel that most of her success back then was almost entirely fan driven rather than GP driven.

I don't know , Confessions and Hung up and 4 Minutes did well with non Madonna fans

She had big digital downloads with those singles among teenagers

1 hour ago, ScottyX said:

I suppose I am just thinking non-music wise.  I mean really how long as it been since she has been a household name.  Maybe in our houses she still is. 

Huh?  Everyone knows who Madonna is, she's still one of the most famous women in the world, even if young kids don't know now, they will when they become teenagers