Madonna shares Covid-19 conspiracy theory on IG, backlash ensues, then deletes

RebelMe

5 minutes ago, deathproof said:

“June 15, 2020 Update: Based on ongoing analysis and emerging scientific data, FDA has revoked the emergency use authorization (EUA) to use hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to treat COVID-19”

Is the FDA not credible enough for you?

8 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Again, I am not. I am a meticulous and diligent communicator, and every conditional I express is intended to convey that, in all humility, I do not claim to be certain of anything. I am questioning and curious. There is nothing intended as controversial or provocative in my writing. It is simply my personal quest to remain open to all possibilities that haven't been debunked by a thorough process of elimination. 

it's great to say you are "open" to ideas and all... but are you really listening? This isn't CNN, or The New York Times, or Fox News (which really shouldn't be lumped together with the other two). This is the National Institue of Health. If you are still "open" after reading this then I would argue your openness isn't really openness but rather an insistence to think there is a conspiracy regardless of facts given from credible unbiased sources. 

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-halts-clinical-trial-hydroxychloroquine

NIH halts clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine

Study shows treatment does no harm, but provides no benefit

What

A clinical trial to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of adults hospitalized with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has been stopped by the National Institutes of Health. A data and safety monitoring board (DSMB) met late Friday and determined that while there was no harm, the study drug was very unlikely to be beneficial to hospitalized patients with COVID-19. After its fourth interim analysis the DSMB, which regularly monitors the trial, recommended to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), part of NIH, to stop the study. NHLBI halted the trial immediately.

The Outcomes Related to COVID-19 treated with hydroxychloroquine among In-patients with symptomatic Disease study, or ORCHID Study, was being conducted by the Prevention and Early Treatment of Acute Lung Injury (PETAL) Clinical Trials Network of NHLBI. The data from this study indicate that this drug provided no additional benefit compared to placebo control for the treatment of COVID-19 in hospitalized patients.

The first participants enrolled in the trial in April at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, one of dozens of centers in the PETAL Network. The blinded, placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial aimed to enroll more than 500 adults who are currently hospitalized with COVID-19 or in an emergency department with anticipated hospitalization. More than 470 were enrolled at the time of study’s closure.

All participants in the study received clinical care as indicated for their condition. Those randomized to the experimental intervention had also received hydroxychloroquine. Participants in the study will now continue to receive standard of care and follow up as indicated for their condition.

ORCHID participants had been randomly assigned to receive hydroxychloroquine 400 mg twice daily for two doses (day one), then 200 mg twice daily for the subsequent eight doses (days two to five) or a placebo twice daily for five days.

While COVID-19 usually presents as an acute respiratory infection, it can damage multiple organ systems, including heart, lung, and blood. Most adults with COVID-19 experience fever, cough, and fatigue and then recover within one to three weeks. However, some develop severe illness, typically manifesting as pneumonia and respiratory failure, with continued progression to acute respiratory distress syndrome and death.

Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat malaria and rheumatoid conditions such as arthritis. In various studies, the drug had demonstrated antiviral activity, an ability to modify the activity of the immune system, and it has an established safety profile at appropriate doses, leading to the hypothesis that it may have also been useful in the treatment of COVID-19.

Who

James P. Kiley, Ph.D., Director, Division of Lung Diseases, NHLBI, is available for interviews.

About the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI): NHLBI is the global leader in conducting and supporting research in heart, lung, and blood diseases and sleep disorders that advances scientific knowledge, improves public health, and saves lives. For more information, visit https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/.

About the National Institutes of Health (NIH): NIH, the nation's medical research agency, includes 27 Institutes and Centers and is a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NIH is the primary federal agency conducting and supporting basic, clinical, and translational medical research, and is investigating the causes, treatments, and cures for both common and rare diseases. For more information about NIH and its programs, visit www.nih.gov.

1 minute ago, Alibaba said:

All scientific evidence can and will evolve, and potentially be disproven. In fact, this is most often the case. It's the very principle upon which science is based. Once upon a time, not too long ago, cocaine was prescribed by doctors, and face creams contained poisonous chemicals that gave people cancer. AIDS drugs that were not effective but prescribed turned out to actually kill people. They couldn't know this until after it had been established. I am not sure how I can convey this any more clearly. 

Yes, but people have died of Covid and have been infected after taking the drug. That fact is not going to change or evolve... 

COVID has been proven to have terrible effects on people, even those who are asymptomatic.  You might appear outwardly fine, but there are actually likely all sorts of changes and things wrong with you.

Is taking that risk justifiable cause to believe in the possibility that some unproven treatment is effective?  It reflects a massive lack of critical thinking and judgment IMO.  And that's without even discussing recklessly endangering others with her behavior by going around without a mask, etc.  I prefer to trust what is proven instead of placing my life and those I care about in the hands of blind hope when it comes to medical science.

2 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Are you familiar with Dr Fauci's history  when he was handling the AIDS crisis, and how he was viewed by gay men and AIDS activists in the 1980s? I actually do question the FDA's authority on many issues! As I said before, I have a very different world view in comparison to anyone who thinks that government agencies are working for the common good of the people. That, in my very humble opinion, is what will prevent us from finding common ground here unfortunately, but it's a risk I am willing to take. I also will gladly eat humble pie as soon as we've found a definitively empirical solution to this global health crisis. I look forward to reading more debate about this. My thanks to all who have shared in this discussion. 

the problem with your "view" is there will never be sufficient evidence for you. Who exactly DO YOU trust????    Unless of course you take the drug yourself. 

Hopefully you would...   Live to Tell.  :Madonna038:

1 minute ago, stfan97 said:

COVID has been proven to have terrible effects on people, even those who are asymptomatic.  You might appear outwardly fine, but there are actually likely all sorts of changes and things wrong with you.

Is taking that risk justifiable cause to believe in the possibility that some unproven treatment is effective?  It reflects a massive lack of critical thinking and judgment IMO.  And that's without even discussing recklessly endangering others with her behavior by going around without a mask, etc.  I prefer to trust what is proven instead of placing my life and those I care about in the hands of blind hope when it comes to medical science.

3 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

the problem with your "view" is there will never be sufficient evidence for you. Who exactly DO YOU trust????    Unless of course you take the drug yourself. 

Hopefully you would...   Live to Tell.  :Madonna038:

I trust myself. I don't live my life any differently than anyone else with a sense of risk management. I question everything, and if you don't, that is your prerogative too. I ask this question in all honesty and humility...Will everyone be okay to take a vaccine that hasn't gone through the usual requirement of due diligence and two year clinical studies, knowing that the possibility of vaccine injury is high and that the effectiveness of the expected vaccine is estimated to be no more than 50%, and no less than 30%? There are endless questions surrounding the ethics, morality and science of our current crisis. I repeat that I have no certainty about anything. Anyone claiming to is truly insane. 

6 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

I trust myself. I don't live my life any differently than anyone else with a sense of risk management. I question everything, and if you don't, that is your prerogative too. I ask this question in all honesty and humility...Will everyone be okay to take a vaccine that hasn't gone through the usual requirement of due diligence and two year clinical studies, knowing that the possibility of vaccine injury is high and that the effectiveness of the expected vaccine is estimated to be no more than 50%, and no less than 30%? There are endless questions surrounding the ethics, morality and science of our current crisis. I repeat that I have no certainty about anything. Anyone claiming to is truly insane. 

You question an unproven vaccine but trust this cure will work?  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

And in the case of this pandemic, the risk management doesn't only impact yourself.  It's because of this kind of myopic and narcissistic attitude that people can't all band together to take precautions to prevent being asymptomatic carriers killing the vulnerable.  But you do you.

13 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

If a vaccine becomes available,  I will listen to the facts and make a decision on weather to take it or not. Im not going to inject something if it only gives me a 20% chance of NOT contracting the virus. 

I actually agree with you that you should question everything, that's great... but if you are taking it so far as to question weather we should be wearing masks, and then decided that you will not wear one because you don't like or trust the information... well then we have a problem. Because now you are potentioinally putting other people at risk with your behavior. 

it should also be said that I don't necessarily trust our government on everything either. But the fact that they have poured billions into finding a vaccine that will be given to Americans for FREE should squash any rumor that they are surpressing Hydroxy because they won't make profit from it. 

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/07/22/us-government-engages-pfizer-produce-millions-doses-covid-19-vaccine.html

Something dawned on me just now. No matter where you stand regarding Madonna's post on IG about Stella Immaneul, she has once again opened a dialog to further question and discuss what we really know and who we really trust during this pandemic. Many of us rely on our leaders to give us some sort of direction.  We also assume to trust our medical professionals to steer us in the right direction, but it seems we are learning everyone is fallible and aren't sure who to trust anymore.

I don't believe Madonna intentionally knew she was passing on false info. It's unfortunate, but like many do when passionate about something, she got wrapped up, sharing the distrust of the system and questioning it. Just think about it! We really are no closer to a cure or vaccine yet. Even so, people will question the if the vaccine is legit as well.

Do I think Madonna calling Stella Immaneul a "hero" was a sound move on her part? Not really! But I do think she understands she made a mistake and that is why she has removed the post. Maybe that is not enough for some here. But I don't think an apology or an explanation is going to change much on her part.

Maybe she'll say something at a later date or say nothing at all? We will have to wait and see.  What I do know is that I don't hold Madonna up as someone who is omniscient or needs to speak for my  beliefs or values.  Maybe she has a responsibility to be careful in what she shares to the public, but I also know she is able to make mistakes and be mislead too. Just because she is a huge star and assumed to be influential, doesn't mean she is always going to say and do what we consider is right. Besides, when has Madonna ever followed the norm? She's always gone against the grain of normal thought. I think if anything comes out of this mishap, is that she's opened the door for people to discuss and ask more of our leaders and medical experts.

28 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

You question an unproven vaccine but trust this cure will work?  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

And in the case of this pandemic, the risk management doesn't only impact yourself.  It's because of this kind of myopic and narcissistic attitude that people can't all band together to take precautions to prevent being asymptomatic carriers killing the vulnerable.  But you do you.

Let me definitively answer you on this post as it appears to be full of assumptions.

1. I asked a question about the vaccine while qualifying why it might be problematic, and I asked it while prefacing that I did so in humility. This was in order to establish that science is evolutionary. 

2. I haven't endorsed any cure as there is none as far as the current data available presents itself. That doesn't mean that there should be a blanket dismissal of the doctor's work without a full investigation. This was my point from my very first post on the topic. I want to know with full transparency if there is any truth to her claims. Who are the more than 300 people she claims have been cured? If there were other treatment protocols, or other factors that determined their recovery, I want to know what those were. That is all.

2. I did not attack you, or anyone else individually with personal characterizations. I stated that in my own openness and curiosity I am aware that I cannot be certain of anything, and that anyone who claims certainty is insane ( I have reiterated this in each response). You have somehow decided based upon this that I have a myopic and narcissistic attitude. Am I to understand that somehow this also leads you to assume that I do not take precautions to protect those around me?

3. For the record, that is completely false. I live in Los Angeles, and I wear a mask whenever I am out in public. I have chosen not to socialize with friends for over five months in order to protect them and myself from illness. I have not questioned the validity of there being an actual illness to begin with. I am not peddling conspiracy theories. I am questioning authoritarianism, which seems to be rife everywhere at present. Your post only further proves that in my opinion. 

BTW, she was back on Italian tv news tonight...

Next time it will be when she withdraws the Girlie Show dvd because the tour never happened because the world is flat and Australia doesn't exist :laughing:

Gt_ngY.gif

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2018/apr/15/australia-doesnt-exist-and-other-bizarre-geographic-conspiracies-that-wont-go-away

7 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

3. For the record, that is completely false. I live in Los Angeles, and I wear a mask whenever I am out in public. I have chosen not to socialize with friends for over five months in order to protect them and myself from illness. I have not questioned the validity of there being an actual illness to begin with. 

I'm happy to hear this. you have to understand though that some people question the validity of the virus or the need to wear a mask and use the same reasons you do. 

Just out of curiosity, who exactly made you believe the virus existed? You must trust someone else...

2 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

She didn't remove the post.  Instagram censored her content, twice.  She reposted it after the first removal already,  doubling down on her beliefs.

Hey there. I never saw the post the first time it was posted, let alone any future ones. Not saying it didn't happen, but where is the repost if she is doubling down on her beliefs?

1 minute ago, RUADJAI said:

I'm happy to hear this. you have to understand though that some people question the validity of the virus or the need to wear a mask and use the same reasons you do. 

Yes, but it isn't what I wrote, nor should anyone assume anything regarding my personal responsibility. It is not because any of us states one particular opinion that it entitles anyone to project that this gives them any insight or authority into how I, or anyone else, lives. 

6 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

She didn't remove the post.  Instagram censored her content, twice.  She reposted it after the first removal already,  doubling down on her beliefs.

Just because a post gets censored, doesn’t mean it gets deleted. It’s up to Madonna or whoever is in charge of the account to delete. She archived the post the first time, which is why it disappeared from her timeline, then made the post public again. Then it was deleted.

11 minutes ago, stfan97 said:

Does Instagram actually remove posts or do they just post a warning that it contains incorrect information? 

Edited by Glindathegood (see edit history)

This thread explicit show how the fake news and conspiracy theories do more harm than anything else to society. 
First: believe in something that you can check and there’s articles about it. If it’s checked and the information is trustworthy, certifies that the article is recent published.

Second: Don’t believe in anything that someone claims to know if they don’t share proof or basis for what they are saying. 

Third: Famous people can fall for fake news too, especially Madonna. It's not because a famous person said it, that it automatically becomes true. 

Fourth: assumptions are not facts, assumptions can do harm, on yourself and people you talk to. 

Just now, Glindathegood said:

Does Instagram actually remove posts or they just post a warning that it contains incorrect information? 

This was my thought? I thought it was up to the user to delete the false info. I think IG only removes content that goes against their guidelines.  People post misleading information all the time, but it never gets removed. It's only lately that social media platforms are now fact checking.

16 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Just out of curiosity, who exactly made you believe the virus existed? You must trust someone else...

In answer to your question about who made me believe the virus exists, I don't need a "who". I, like you and everyone else on here, have a mother, a father, people I love and care about, and I am a humanist. I would never take any risk to harm another person. If there is any cause for me to feel that I might, I don't proceed. I live impeccably by my word and my fundamental drive in life is Love. 

To further address the topic, I also know people who have lost family members to, and who were diagnosed with, Covid-19. That is enough for me to be willing to check any skepticism at the door. I'm a human being. I understand that everyone is behind their screen feeling confused and angry, but I personally refuse to lose my sense of humanity just because I don't have to take personal responsibility for my language when hidden behind a username. 

• Fighter unfeatured this topic