Madonna and the piano

Team Madonna

She played all of about three chords on Future, and so I am not sure it's such a stretch that she would have played live. However, as with her guitar playing, due to the sheer scope and choreographed process of her shows, her instrument feed is usually very low in the mix! If you watch bootlegs, you can see how many times she has messed up her chords when playing live guitar. It doesn't mean she can't play, but I don't think she plays either instrument particularly well enough to justify calling her a pianist or a guitarist. 

40 minutes ago, scion said:

Did she actually play though? 

I mean, the piano on S&S was just a track... I presume it was just a track on MX tour?

How sad it is to think that you have a piano (and also a choir this time!) but you'd rather use a track. It was great to hear Rickey Pageot playing it during the backstage tour. But the sound during the concert sounded so fake. When the Batukadeiras passed next to me on the aisle they weren't singing. Bring back Patrick Leonard and Jai Winding live!

I think that the only time we were able to hear any live playing by Madonna that wasn't burried in the mix/backed with tracks was the noise fest of I Love NY/CT and ROL/S&S LOL. She's clearly not playing the piano live, all the bootlegs audios sounds the same, it's pre recorded. 
I don't know why she has that amount of people on stage (and this time in theather!) pretending to play stuff, no wonder Guy complains about budget.

10 hours ago, Enrico said:

How sad it is to think that you have a piano (and also a choir this time!) but you'd rather use a track. It was great to hear Rickey Pageot playing it during the backstage tour. But the sound during the concert sounded so fake. When the Batukadeiras passed next to me on the aisle they weren't singing. Bring back Patrick Leonard and Jai Winding live!

The girls weren't singing? That's shocking!

2 hours ago, scion said:

The girls weren't singing? That's shocking!

The problem is: it was like a disco where the strong sound doesn't make it easy to hear things around you. In other shows I was able to clearly hear the real voice of those who passed through the aisle, think of Lion King for instance, but not this time. Also, once they got on stage and the number of those at the microphone increased, the quantity of sound didn't change, which is clearly suspect.

Why Francesca Dardani who played the violin had to reply in her IG Stories: "we play live"? And same with Kevin Antunes on backstage tour? When Munchie posted a video of the girls playing the string section of Frozen, it was clearly different (less perfect, less tuned) that what we heard onstage. This means at least that the prerecorded track covers the live sound, which is unconceivable to me. Believe me, I'd give an arm to understand exactly what happens at the soundboard.

12 hours ago, diegolcl said:

I think that the only time we were able to hear any live playing by Madonna that wasn't burried in the mix/backed with tracks was the noise fest of I Love NY/CT and ROL/S&S LOL. She's clearly not playing the piano live, all the bootlegs audios sounds the same, it's pre recorded. 
I don't know why she has that amount of people on stage (and this time in theather!) pretending to play stuff, no wonder Guy complains about budget.

So she faked the piano ?

I honestly think she played those same 3 notes of piano on Future, it's really the most basic. 

There's so much stuff that can be played live but isn't, but also more live elements that we think. You can replicate many studio sounds with instruments and keyboards. I too would love to know how all is put together. 

2 hours ago, Enrico said:

The problem is: it was like a disco where the strong sound doesn't make it easy to hear things around you. In other shows I was able to clearly hear the real voice of those who passed through the aisle, think of Lion King for instance, but not this time. Also, once they got on stage and the number of those at the microphone increased, the quantity of sound didn't change, which is clearly suspect.

Why Francesca Dardani who played the violin had to reply in her IG Stories: "we play live"? And same with Kevin Antunes on backstage tour? When Munchie posted a video of the girls playing the string section of Frozen, it was clearly different (less perfect, less tuned) that what we heard onstage. This means at least that the prerecorded track covers the live sound, which is unconceivable to me. Believe me, I'd give an arm to understand exactly what happens at the soundboard.

I would imagine they probably do play but aren't actually in the mix. The audio of the instruments is probably processed to the soundboard but isn't actually in the audio mix in the theatre. Same with her guitar on her bigger tours, there are moments where she's clearly playing, and moments where it just looks and sounds as if she isn't.

I don't personally believe any of the instruments are played live on tour... at least not for the majority of the show and this seems to have been the same since at least 2004. 

I'm not even convinced her live vocals are as live in places as people suggest they are. I know we generally have an established 'list' of what's live and what isn't in yours historically, but there are one or two performances on tour that I feel have been overlooked and presumed live which actually aren't... like Holiday on Rebel Heart which to me sounds prerecorded.

8 hours ago, scion said:

I'm not even convinced her live vocals are as live in places as people suggest they are. I know we generally have an established 'list' of what's live and what isn't in yours historically, but there are one or two performances on tour that I feel have been overlooked and presumed live which actually aren't... like Holiday on Rebel Heart which to me sounds prerecorded.

I agree. I just heard Drowned World in the reposted Barcelona thread and you clearly hear her breathing. In MXT the voice was flawless... too flawless to be the same which did it all wrong at Eurovision a few months earlier.

I don't think much of the music in terms of instruments played on the Madame X tour was 'live' even if Madonna was singing live I don't think her band were playing live   - about 18 seconds in the track skips like it is a CD. 

Thinking back to the band she had for The Girlie Show they were incredible everything sounded so live 

17 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

I don't think much of the music in terms of instruments played on the Madame X tour was 'live' even if Madonna was singing live I don't think her band were playing live   - about 18 seconds in the track skips like it is a CD. 

Thinking back to the band she had for The Girlie Show they were incredible everything sounded so live 

So does her lead vocal which is shocking.... ha!