BadGurlMadge

Madonna for RSD 2021? (DISCUSSION)

28 minutes ago, AModSquad said:

This would be a definite no for me BUT why does Warner need to sell to Universal?  Her back catalog and so on are re-issued by Warners group, Rhino.  This should have anything to do w Universal unless im missing something.

Idrk how to explain but since that 12” and 7” were an only Italy release it was released and distributed by Warner Italia (same company but different labels). That in practice means that Warner Italia needs to sell the rights for that pressing (not song hahah) to the Universal Warner Group so it can be pressed with European and American labels! Because if they would repress it now they would have to repress it with Italian labels which would make it italian only again

omg sorry for this long text but i’m tired and it’s difficult haha, anyways hope you understood

8 hours ago, steady75 said:

Record store day is a bit redundant to Prince. The estate are releasing stuff all the time. 

Can you elaborate on what you mean? 

When I participate in RSD, there are throngs of Prince fans lined up to buy his RSD releases, just like Madonna fans. 

His estate is releasing stuff all the time, but RSD is still an important vehicle for his estate to squeeze even more re-releases or unique items out the door to fans. 

Without RSD, re-releases like BATDANCE or ... Versace Experience would not be possible. But for RSD, the limited releases sell out. 

You could move that to his web store as web-only items, but the sales results wouldn't be the same. 

I do think M could batch-out the singles for each album every six months and sell them on her website with coloured vinyl exclusives and then sell off any remaining stock over a year or two.

She could bundle them and do pre-orders even to limit any excess stock and just make to order what fans have ordered.

And to engage fans, when there are unique sleeves for a single by country, there could be a poll or just release both.

1 hour ago, BadGurlMadge said:

Idrk how to explain but since that 12” and 7” were an only Italy release it was released and distributed by Warner Italia (same company but different labels). That in practice means that Warner Italia needs to sell the rights for that pressing (not song hahah) to the Universal Warner Group so it can be pressed with European and American labels! Because if they would repress it now they would have to repress it with Italian labels which would make it italian only again

omg sorry for this long text but i’m tired and it’s difficult haha, anyways hope you understood

so im sure this is true in Italy too but Universal/UMG/Interscope, etc having nothing to do with Warner so if the song is already with Warner then the above doesnt need to happen but if its with another label (not part of the warner family - sire, rhino, maverick, bla ba) then your scenario or something like your scenario would be true.

31 minutes ago, captainjay said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean? 

When I participate in RSD, there are throngs of Prince fans lined up to buy his RSD releases, just like Madonna fans. 

His estate is releasing stuff all the time, but RSD is still an important vehicle for his estate to squeeze even more re-releases or unique items out the door to fans. 

Without RSD, re-releases like BATDANCE or ... Versace Experience would not be possible. But for RSD, the limited releases sell out. 

You could move that to his web store as web-only items, but the sales results wouldn't be the same. 

I do think M could batch-out the singles for each album every six months and sell them on her website with coloured vinyl exclusives and then sell off any remaining stock over a year or two.

She could bundle them and do pre-orders even to limit any excess stock and just make to order what fans have ordered.

And to engage fans, when there are unique sleeves for a single by country, there could be a poll or just release both.

i think what the poster you are replying to was saying is that Prince fans arent hungry or necessarily only relying on RSD - the Prince estate regularly puts out rare items so they dont need RSD per se.

To be clear, batdance was not an RSD exclusive - it was an RSD First - meaning it came out on RSD day but not only available through RSD - was available everywhere after that day including the prince store, amazon etc.  Versace Exp was an RSD ONLY release so you are right there.

Im not sure i agree with your Prince sales not being the same on his website.  When sign o the times was announced a few weeks ago, they released a limited edition 7" box set numbered etc, which i was excited to get - it sold out in less than a day.

i dont think an artist needs to rely on RSD to put out limiteds. I hope more do it with RSD so I dont have to get in those damn lines anymore.

12 hours ago, AModSquad said:

so im sure this is true in Italy too but Universal/UMG/Interscope, etc having nothing to do with Warner so if the song is already with Warner then the above doesnt need to happen but if its with another label (not part of the warner family - sire, rhino, maverick, bla ba) then your scenario or something like your scenario would be true.

Well, it all depends on the label as you said but yeah I was tired I meant the Universal Warner Group because I don’t know all Italian labels that had the rights for it back then

1 hour ago, BadGurlMadge said:

Thank you!! But is it confirmed or only dates for Black Friday? I’m confused if they’re skipping it this year or not 

“Fingers crossed for the return of the biggest party of the year on the third Saturday of April 2021. RSD Black Friday is still being planned and is scheduled to take place on November 27.”

From the official site

12 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

Wishlist

Either

from the newest material:

1. God Control remixes

2. IDSIF

3. Medellin

4. Crave

Or previous material

1. MDNA (standard edition cover but deluxe edition music)

2. Ghosttown (with a new original cover that isn’t made by a 12 year old on MS Paint and stock images from a VGA Nokia phone camera)

Omg yes!! We need IDSIF vinyl, and hopefully an european vinyl release so the import price won’t be like €40