Rumor: Madonna Left Interscope?

Shoful

6 hours ago, Shoful said:

Hey everyone, so take this with a grain of salt. I’ve been seeing posts all over Twitter that Interscope no longer follows Madonna on instagram and that WB now follows her. Also apparently Madonna is no longer on Interscope’s artists page? Does anyone have confirmation or more info on any of this? 

They’re not following her since the start... they don’t care about her tbh... since RH days... about WR been following her since long time coz of her old work I guess. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Warner have also included a picture of her on their Twitter wallpaper that’s full of all the artists they’ve signed. Don’t know if she’s always been there but the picture was taken long after she left Warner.

52A7D5D6-E947-4164-9D6C-612CD4E72403.jpeg

Its funny how before she left Warner 12 years ago everyone was like..."they don't know how to promote her anymore & she needs to leave!" Now people want her back on the label cuz "Interscope never knew how to promote her blah blah blah... & things were better at Warner"

I wholeheartedly agree she should go back to Warner though. Its home for her. Here's to that being true & us getting some proper releases from her back catalog & some great new music!

I feel a new compilation next year and a greatest hits tour 2022 with all her singles in streaming in the next 12 months.

Guy is back managing her full time, she’s left interscope, she’ finally doing a feature with the biggest pop girl on the world right now that could get her another hit in this decade, her songs are popping up on streaming and she’s on the mend physically.

Maybe her  “the look of love” Insta post that said “Today is the day” meant her rejoining Warner and leaving Interscope.

“I can’t hardly wait to hold you, put my arms around you”

lyrics from the songs, relate to reconnecting to a love you once knew. The lyrics even relate to sealing a deal with a kiss”

I can hardly wait to hold you
Feel my arms around you
How long I have waited
Waited just to love you
Now that I have found you

You've got the look of love
It's on your face
A look that time can't erase
Baby be mine, tonight

Let this be just the start of 
So many nights like this
Let's take a lovers vow
And seal it with a kiss

I can hardly wait to hold you
Feel my arms around you
How long I have waited
Waited just to love you
Now that I have found you

Don't ever go… 

She’s  finally made it through the wilderness. 

Get ready for a renaissance girls. 

Guest Nobody Knows Me
24 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I feel a new compilation next year and a greatest hits tour 2022 with all her singles in streaming in the next 12 months.

I would really love for this to happen!

A compilation album so soon? 
it’s been 11 years since Celebration. 
Follow the Kylie model of 13 months of reaffirming your legacy and then come back hard soon after with a big single in a genre you excel at. 

For context 

You Can Dance -88

Immaculate-90

STR -95

GHV2 -01

Remixed & Revisited -04

Celebration -09

We’re well over due a compilation. I do think the live albums have sorted filled that void for her though. But they’re shite these days. 

Madonna needs some good PR better than any pop star I can think of. Ok Maybe Kanye. Her legacy is something she should trade on to bolster her new era. 

We don’t need Confessions 2 but we do need some of that cutting fresh fun Music era energy desperately. 

2 hours ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

Warner have also included a picture of her on their Twitter wallpaper that’s full of all the artists they’ve signed. Don’t know if she’s always been there but the picture was taken long after she left Warner.

52A7D5D6-E947-4164-9D6C-612CD4E72403.jpeg

And next to Dua hahaha!

26 minutes ago, steady75 said:

A compilation album so soon? 
it’s been 11 years since Celebration. 
Follow the Kylie model of 13 months of reaffirming your legacy and then come back hard soon after with a big single in a genre you excel at. 

For context 

You Can Dance -88

Immaculate-90

STR -95

GHV2 -01

Remixed & Revisited -04

Celebration -09

We’re well over due a compilation. I do think the live albums have sorted filled that void for her though. But they’re shite these days. 

Madonna needs some good PR better than any pop star I can think of. Ok Maybe Kanye. Her legacy is something she should trade on to bolster her new era. 

We don’t need Confessions 2 but we do need some of that cutting fresh fun Music era energy desperately. 

My comment about "so soon" wasn't about it being "soon" since Celebrations, but moreso that it's too "soon" for her to release a compilation in the next year if she just signed back to Warner. 

Plus, Madonna doesn't seem to be as much of a fan as looking back on her past as Kylie does, so I don't the comparisons are that far. Celebration was released in 2009 and isn't really missing a lot of "new" songs - she's only released 2 albums since, neither of which arguably had any hit songs. Prior to Kylie's "Step Back in Time", the last full compilation was Ultimate Kylie from 2005, which wasn't even available on streaming sites. She's released 5 albums since and numerous hit singles, so it made sense for her to release a compilation.

I'm not against Madonna releasing another compilation, I just think the focus should be upon making her singles etc available to be streamed. So many of her peers - Kylie, Mariah, Janet - have already started the process of doing so.

Ah I see what to mean yes. 

M has had 3 albums since though (one double) and yes whilst the hits haven’t been there a bunch of the songs have had big recognition.

GMAYL

Girl Gone Wild

Masterpiece 

Living For Love

Ghosttown

Bitch I’m Madonna

Medellin

Crave

Have probably been her most successful out of the 12 ish released.

Kylie also had The Abbey Rd Sessions which was a GH reimagined.

K25 era where all her back catalogue was celebrated and a single disc Best Of Kylie Minogue in 2012. 
Ultimate Kylie was a long time ago but Min has had endless collections. If Glastonbury hadn’t happened I doubt we’d have had Step Back In Time.

Anyways I get your point. I just think that singles on streaming and a welcome home hits collection from Warner’s would really be the PR exercise her brand needs and less nicely into another huge hits tour. 
She may even pull a Michael Jackson History and release a double disc of her best hits and a new album.

I’d be here for it. Though the drop in quality might be very apparent between discs. 

8 hours ago, L*ckySt*r said:

Can't be sure if this is really a good thing since WB wasn't doing so well with her towards the last several years she was with them. It'll be interesting to see if this is true and what comes of it.

So what happens with all her music recorded after leaving WB?

How do you figure that?

Confessions was WB's #1 selling album of 2005 and 2006 worldwide

HC was one of the labels top 3 sellers of 2008

5 hours ago, Enrico said:

I just saw this interview with Daddy Kane about SEX book. The interviewer comments "As younger generations are not familiar with Madonna, let's say that back then she was as famous as Rihanna today". Is this a joke? They have no idea!!

I think the change of label might have affected the attention to her legacy.

That interview was from 2014/2015

It's not recent

11 minutes ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

I think the biggest criticism was the low budget they were giving her for her music videos. During the 00's it was clearly a lot less than before.

Her and everyone else! Music videos in the 00s were generally pretty basic once the music industry collapsed.

AND I'm sure she was behind the budget decisions too, cause in the end it was her money after all. Warner just gave her advanced money and she returned with her royalties. Why spend hug amounts of money in a music video if record sales were going to be lower anyway?

It's more than that. Madonna took Warner for granted sometimes and Warner perhaps underappreciated Madonna, too. There were well documented struggles with Maverick, which was her venture, and she no doubt bankrolled quite a lot of warners company. 

We can now painfully identify what she gave up a dozen years ago, but we now know that the music industry has shifted more toward the live experience (and away from the music) in the course of those years. The fact that Madonna went with the company whose priority was in the live performance aspect (Live Nation) shows that she knew the way to succeed as an artist in the current environment. And there’s something to be said, too, about the breach of the agreement, it was a 360 deal, and they promised her the music distribution channel, which they ultimately failed to deliver, as they outsourced that bit (and never measured up for her, because Interscope had no real incentive to deploy their full arsenal of resources for her)

Not saying she made “the best” decision, and i'm also not saying her recording career hasn’t suffered loss owing to that choice. But we also wouldn’t know what touring would have looked like for her if she had stayed at Warner — it’s possible she may not have been able to do all she wanted on stage, to the quality and scale she wanted to, had she not had the Live Nation resources. Who can say at this point apart from the woman herself?

The only question I want answered now is, can she recover any lost ground in terms of the legacy/back catalogue now? It is clear the charts/hits-chasing will end — perhaps she'll get one more lightning strike, but unlikely. Hopefully she can continue to create what she wants in the future and still celebrate the beloved projects of the past which fans would love to revisit (or fully discover for the first time, in some cases). Having some maxi singles uploaded to streaming is a step in the right direction

1 hour ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

some fans are quick to forget how much we used to moan about WB back in the day 

The differences between the rollout between Hard Candy and MDNA was immense. 

Give It 2 Me and Celebration were top 10 hits in the UK with barely any promo! Think about the promo that went on for GMAYL, even for a FIRST SINGLE! And it didn’t even manage to get the top 20! Being backed by a major label, like Warner’s, would have allowed some kind of radio support and would have serviced her singles properly!

Living For Love was released in the UK on a Wednesday?!? What label would allow that?!?!?!? Insane!

9 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Give It 2 Me and Celebration were top 10 hits in the UK with barely any promo!

Without any promo from herself, but not Warner! Back then Warner would still do whatever they could to get her playlisted (on radios) and to make sure the songs were known and promoted. No promo from Madonna is not the same as no promo from the record company. And that's why "Give It 2 Me" was a decent medium hit and even "Celebration" (in Europe).

Of course things changed dramatically in the next few years and now Spotify and streaming is the new radio. But Interscope hasn't done shit to promote her, just "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and that's because they had a radio deal for her (not sure if it was the record company or Live Nation).

I'm not saying her coming back to Warner is going to be like the old days, the music business is radically different nowadays. But...

21 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Without any promo from herself, but not Warner! Back then Warner would still do whatever they could to get her playlisted (on radios) and to make sure the songs were known and promoted. No promo from Madonna is not the same as no promo from the record company. And that's why "Give It 2 Me" was a decent medium hit and even "Celebration" (in Europe).

That’s what I’m talking about. She didn’t have the label support 2012-2019 to get another top 10 in the UK.

I agree that alot of people were really glad she left Warner back in the day. But that was before we knew how bad things would get with Interscope. While the material has been great ( I LOVE Rebel Heart and Madame X), the lack of promo, distribution, singles has affected her musical legacy and presence in the public consciousness (Warner would have made Rebel Heart and God Control proper singles).

And if going back to Warner means all this will improve and we may start to see expanded editions of her previous albums and unreleased material seeing the light of day, then I'm all for it.

The recent release of her older maxis on digital platforms (Human Nature, Vogue) might be an indicator of things to come.

• Fighter featured this topic
  • Fighter locked and unfeatured this topic