Rumor: Madonna Left Interscope?

Shoful

1 hour ago, L*ckySt*r said:

While this could be exciting, they are relying on SUN as a source. Also, an "8 figure deal"? For a 62 year old pop star whose last several albums haven't sold very much? If true, she's got to pull out all the stops. She's still injured as well, so I would think that would be an issue for future touring. I'll be curious to see if any of this is true. If she's doing a biopic of her career, (based on her latest instagram), this might be a start to pay more attention to her back catalog.

I might be wrong, but the 8 figures could maybe also include re-releases and compilations.

I'm agree with what have been said already : in 2007 when she signed with Interscope, everybody was happy that she was leaving Warner, and now she's back at Warner, everybody is happy.

Of course, the record company has some responsabilities in the success of an album. Warner did a great work on Music and Confessions for example.

But we can't blame Interscope for all the negativity from the few last years. The violence in MDNA songs, the issues with her ass, or the disaster with the Madame X Tour (late starting) were not Interscope fault. Beside this, the lack of promo for these albums (MDNA, RH, MX) is the responsability of Interscope.

I think she never wanted to leave Warner. But she wanted to earn money with Live Nation with huge tours, and probably that one of the conditions was to sign with Interscope. 

Now that Interscope / LN deal is over, coming back to Warner is her best decision, for at least 2 reasons :

-they have her back catalog

-it's the company who made her famous

We don't know yet the details of the deal, but there is a possibility that Warner will buy the rights on MDNA, RH and Madame X, in order to secure the full catalog.

I think we can expect an announcement in a few days, around her birthday, and around the release of the remix with Dua Lipa.

Be ready for your money : I'm pretty sure that Warner will release many re-editions, box set, merchandising. If you look what they did recently with Prince, (ok he's dead, but it's very similar) you'll be shocked by the number of releases of Prince records since he's dead. Prince did almost the same in 2014 ; he came back to Warner 18 years after he left. (you should read this article : https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6062423/prince-deal-with-warner-bros-new-album-coming )

Finally, I guess that, if she signs NOW in August 2020 with Warner, it's not for an new album in 2023. I'm pretty sure she'll release a new album in the end of 2021. And before that, there is a possibility that she'll release a best of (end of 2020 ?). 

I was already surprised that there was the remix with Dua Lupa. I mean, since about 10 years, she did not released any one shot single like she used to do in the 90's  (This used to be, I'll remember...)  So this is a very good news, and if you see all the buzz around the rumours ( Twitter  / Instagram WB accounts...) the promo already started and they have something really planned.

As a fan I was never happy she left Warner’s so I’m excited if this is true - it would make sense she returns to them but finally digging into her archives and finally mining all her old tours and demos before she releases a new album and the MX tour dvd - I can’t see them paying her too much though as commercially she isn’t a big seller in the music industry these days and I don’t  see any new record deal reversing the ageism she gets or getting her much needed AirPlay 

7 hours ago, L*ckySt*r said:

While this could be exciting, they are relying on SUN as a source. Also, an "8 figure deal"? For a 62 year old pop star whose last several albums haven't sold very much? If true, she's got to pull out all the stops. She's still injured as well, so I would think that would be an issue for future touring. I'll be curious to see if any of this is true. If she's doing a biopic of her career, (based on her latest instagram), this might be a start to pay more attention to her back catalog.

Believe it or not, all but Madame X sold well based on the horrible Album sales climate

MDNA was the #12 top selling album of 2012 worldwide

RH made the top 40 sellers of 2015

2 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

As a fan I was never happy she left Warner’s so I’m excited if this is true - it would make sense she returns to them but finally digging into her archives and finally mining all her old tours and demos before she releases a new album and the MX tour dvd - I can’t see them paying her too much though as commercially she isn’t a big seller in the music industry these days and I don’t  see any new record deal reversing the ageism she gets or getting her much needed AirPlay 

If the dwal includes a percentage of her touring gross, than it would make sense

Also, NOBODY is a big seller in music these days, except for touring and merchandise

57 minutes ago, Mp1992 said:

If the dwal includes a percentage of her touring gross, than it would make sense

Also, NOBODY is a big seller in music these days, except for touring and merchandise

What about drake, Taylor swift, Adele ? There album sales are huge ? Didn’t Adele sell 3 million copies in one week in the USA?? ? 

Guest Nobody Knows Me

As annoying as The Sun can be at times, they were completely correct about the details of Kylie’s Say Something release and I imagine her camp sent out the Warner details to them. 

2 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

What about drake, Taylor swift, Adele ? There album sales are huge ? Didn’t Adele sell 3 million copies in one week in the USA?? ? 

Only Adele had truly massive physical sales - the other ones you mentioned do extremely well on streaming platforms. Adele's success was a blip, a clear exception in a climate of declining sales. Plus, it's been 5 years since her last album - it will be interesting to see how her next project fares sales-wise. :)

• Fighter featured this topic
  • Fighter locked and unfeatured this topic